You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2010 11:30 pm  #1

How huge is Montana?

Well, on the drive from Podunk, Washington, in northwest corner of the state, to Butfuq, Iowa, in the east-central part of the state, the Montana-Wyoming border on I-90 is well over half way.  It's gonna be a long a drive, but my books on tape collection is large; I think I'll begin with "10 Days that Unexpectedly Changed America", but when gets too heavy I will switch to "Here, There, and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick.

Too bad the Cardinals couldn't catch the Reds, as I will be spend this October as close to St. Louis as I have for . . . 11 years?

Last edited by Max (9/22/2010 11:31 pm)

9/23/2010 2:28 pm  #2

Re: How huge is Montana?

I have to profess ignorance about the Northwest, but I maintain I can't imagine any ride being worse than the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Reading a sign that says "Welcome to Ohio" ought not to generate that much joy.

9/23/2010 3:08 pm  #3

artie_fufkin wrote:

I have to profess ignorance about the Northwest, but I maintain I can't imagine any ride being worse than the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Reading a sign that says "Welcome to Ohio" ought not to generate that much joy.

And they make you pay for the privilege, too.   Driving that POS highway during road work season between two concrete barriers is so unnerving, I would sooner pay Rosie O'Donnell to sit... Never mind; I can't even say that hyperbolically.

9/24/2010 3:42 pm  #4

I-80, been there, done that. Still waiting for the

"Iowa: Gateway to Nebraska" sign, or

"See Nebraska . . . by NIGHT (free coffee at all the rest stops!)

Montana's not bad, just huge.  Like the drive from Houston to San Diego, the halfway point is a bit west of El Paso.

10/08/2010 12:32 am  #5

Dillon in Southwest Montana is closer to Seattle, Washington and Salt Lake City,Utah than it is to Plentywood, Montana in the Northeast corner. From Westby, MT in the NE corner to Lima, MT in the SW corner is 692 miles. From Troy, MT in the NW corner to Alzeda, MT in the SE corner is is 890 miles by road.

10/23/2010 10:51 pm  #6

St. Cloud to Butte via Wibeaux.

If it hadn't a been for the the rain I woulda gotten much further.

In case you ever wondered where it stops looking like the midwest and starts looking like the west this far north, it's just after you cross the Missouri and climb out of the river valley.

Board footera