You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/11/2011 2:01 pm  #1

C'mon AP. This is for you.

I didn't see a response to this photo in the other thread, but I made the family stop, drive back, and wait while i took this photo.  Can you tell me what's in the picture?

7/11/2011 4:23 pm  #2

Re: C'mon AP. This is for you.

I kind of gave up on that thread.  They are a long way off but my guess would be elk.

7/11/2011 4:31 pm  #3

What's the difference between a buck and an elk?

7/11/2011 4:42 pm  #4

"Buck" and "doe" is in reference to the sex or a deer.  It has nothing to do with elk.  They are call "cows" and "bulls".  I am not sure who made these rules.

7/11/2011 8:04 pm  #5

What's the difference between a deer and an elk?

7/11/2011 8:22 pm  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

Bull Elk

Cow Elk

Buck Whitetail deer

Doe Whitetail deer

That snow make me want to be in the stand.

7/11/2011 8:30 pm  #7

So two entirely different but related species?

What's a caribou?

7/11/2011 8:54 pm  #8

artie_fufkin wrote:

What's a caribou?

7/11/2011 9:44 pm  #9

That's a disturbing photo.

7/12/2011 8:25 am  #10

That is actually a special breed of Caribou.  John Mccain created this Manibou in order to replace troops in Iraq, trying to redefine himself as a true maverick.  It is a blend of his own DNA and Arnold Schwarzenegger's.  Arnold wouldn't actually consent to the federal government using his trademarked DNA but there was enough of it floating around the governor mansion that he really didnt have any control over it.  The plan kind of backfired when the Manibou started trying to breed with Sarah Palin.  In their defense, she is probably the only humpable thing in Alaska.  This is how Palin got on the 2008 ticket.  John felt bad about the Manibou trying to hump her and he wanted a piece of the action as well.  In the end the plan didnt work.  Caribou are a cold weather animal and Iraq is a desert.  But that is the story of how Mccain almost became president and packs of wild Manibou almost replace ground forces in Iraq.

7/12/2011 8:51 am  #11

APRTW wrote:

That is actually a special breed of Caribou.  John Mccain created this Manibou in order to replace troops in Iraq, trying to redefine himself as a true maverick.  It is a blend of his own DNA and Arnold Schwarzenegger's.  Arnold wouldn't actually consent to the federal government using his trademarked DNA but there was enough of it floating around the governor mansion that he really didnt have any control over it.  The plan kind of backfired when the Manibou started trying to breed with Sarah Palin.  In their defense, she is probably the only humpable thing in Alaska.  This is how Palin got on the 2008 ticket.  John felt bad about the Manibou trying to hump her and he wanted a piece of the action as well.  In the end the plan didnt work.  Caribou are a cold weather animal and Iraq is a desert.  But that is the story of how Mccain almost became president and packs of wild Manibou almost replace ground forces in Iraq.

Natty Light for breakfast this morning?

7/12/2011 9:13 am  #12

artie_fufkin wrote:

APRTW wrote:

Natty Light for breakfast this morning?

I've heard that Natty Light poured over corn flakes can have pretty bizarre effects.

7/12/2011 10:21 am  #13

I have been fighting off a slight fever and little bit of a soar throat.  I slight fever, when it is 100 degrees outside feels like death.  I took some sleep aid last night and poured a few beers ontop of it.  When I wake up from those sleep aids I am in a wierd daze.  However I think that post was just a product of me being bored.  I couldnt find any interesting news to read while drinking coffee and there was no baseball box scores to look at.

7/12/2011 11:02 am  #14

The heat this week has been beyond oppressive.

They've stripped the grass off the field at Busch to get it ready for the U-2 concert.  They just put down a layer of plastic over the dirt that I assume will be where they put seats.  I feel sorry for the guys working down there.  The plastic is reflective--I bet it's 120-130+ on that field right now.

7/12/2011 11:12 am  #15

forsberg_us wrote:

They've stripped the grass off the field at Busch to get it ready for the U-2 concert.  They just put down a layer of plastic over the dirt that I assume will be where they put seats.  I feel sorry for the guys working down there.  The plastic is reflective--I bet it's 120-130+ on that field right now.

It is like walking into a wall humidity.  My fever has only ranged between 99-100.5 but in this heat it is a killer.  It is especially hot while wearing a vest and working days.  I hate this part of summer.  As bad as winter can be it doesnt meassure up to the misery of the dog days of summer.  I would move to Alaska if I knew they got the Manibou population under control.

7/12/2011 11:17 am  #16

"It is especially hot while wearing a vest and working days."

I was trying to explain to my son the other day how hot is was to wear a BP vest in this weather.  I hope you at least have one of the more modern, lighter models.  When I started, the one I wore was thick and heavy (almost more like a flak jacket).  On days like today, I could pull that thing away from my chest and feel the heat rising out.  The only good thing about it was that it was almost impossible to get out of shape because you'd lose 3 pounds of sweat every day.

7/12/2011 11:46 am  #17

I doubt mine is as bad as yours was but it still has most of those qualities.  You smell like an animal crawled inbetween your vest and undershirt and die by shifts end.  The underarmor heatgear is pretty good stuff.  At least it doesnt hold moisture.  We are supposed to be asking for a grant to get new vest.  I hope they are better.  I agree with the lossing weight thing and it also keeps you in shape because if you start to get a gut the think rides up into you throat.  I used to watch comps and wonder why they wear so winded when they caught the bad guy.  After putting on 20lb of gear I understand.

7/12/2011 6:02 pm  #18

artie_fufkin wrote:

Close to 1000 lbs. for an adult male.

7/12/2011 6:03 pm  #19

artie_fufkin wrote:

What's a caribou?

a reindeer.  same animal, different names on different continents.

7/12/2011 6:06 pm  #20

APRTW wrote:

I have been fighting off a slight fever and little bit of a soar throat.  I slight fever, when it is 100 degrees outside feels like death.  I took some sleep aid last night and poured a few beers ontop of it.  When I wake up from those sleep aids I am in a wierd daze.  However I think that post was just a product of me being bored.  I couldnt find any interesting news to read while drinking coffee and there was no baseball box scores to look at.

The heat wave finally hit the Pacific Northwest.  It's nearly 76 degrees today, and it's been sunny with highs reaching into the low 70's every day since I got back.  So hot today I had to drag the 3 year old's inflatable swimming pool out.

7/12/2011 6:08 pm  #21

APRTW wrote:

I doubt mine is as bad as yours was but it still has most of those qualities.  You smell like an animal crawled inbetween your vest and undershirt and die by shifts end.  The underarmor heatgear is pretty good stuff.  At least it doesnt hold moisture.  We are supposed to be asking for a grant to get new vest.  I hope they are better.  I agree with the lossing weight thing and it also keeps you in shape because if you start to get a gut the think rides up into you throat.  I used to watch comps and wonder why they wear so winded when they caught the bad guy.  After putting on 20lb of gear I understand.

I was watching MLB.com videos and saw an ad for Mitchum anti-perspirant with 48 hour protection.  Apparently if you use this product you don't need to bathe or reapply anti-perspirant for two days in a row.

7/12/2011 6:11 pm  #22

APRTW wrote:

I kind of gave up on that thread.  They are a long way off but my guess would be elk.

A part of the Northern Cascades herd in a roadside 'wildlife viewing area' on Route 20.  There were about 20 animals somewhere from 100-200 yards.  Close enough that guys with rifles could easily hunt them, but this particular field is off-limits to all hunting.

7/12/2011 6:31 pm  #23

artie_fufkin wrote:

Maybe you wanted a taxonomic answer.  The deer we have in the USA, white-tailed deer primarily east of the Rockies and mule deer primarily west of the Rockies are in the 'tribe' or subfamily Capreolinae, the New World deer.  Elk are in the subfamily, Cervini, the 'true deer' ("Old World" taxonomists were very egocentric when it came to naming things!).  So, although you wouldn't guess it just by looking at them (unless you peel off their skin and look really closely at their ankles), moose and deer are more closely related to each other than are deer and elk.

7/12/2011 7:52 pm  #24

forsberg_us wrote:

U2 is really wrecking the MLB schedule. Didn't Florida have to move a series to Seattle because of the setup for the stage? And I think there was another team that had to re-sod after the field got torn up.
All for a band that hasn't released a good album since "October."

7/12/2011 10:59 pm  #25

Did they rip the field up for the Eagles concert?

Board footera