You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2011 12:22 am  #51

Re: Remember when the 70's sucked?!?

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

JV wrote:

I'd keep brainstorming but am sure I've already crossed someone's line here.

some continuations:

absolutely for "Who's Next", and I would throw "Quadrophenia" in there.
Neil Young "Harvest", "Live Rust".
(dare we mention Frampton's "Comes Alive" for its key role in popularizing the 'double live' format.)

You could, but you'd be inaccurate since "Kiss Alive" came out a year before.

Well shit, if we're counting any hack band, then let's go back to:

Wishbone Ash "Live Dates" for a killer double live album.

8/09/2011 12:24 am  #52

I just thought of a whole genre we forgot:

Toots and the Maytals "Funky Kingston"
Bob Marley and the Wailers "Exodus"

8/09/2011 6:24 am  #53

Max wrote:

JV wrote:

I got a Name, Jim Croce - Bless you, Alz! The least cloying - and probably the most talented - of the '70s folkies.

"folkies", puh-LEASE . . . singer/songwriter/guitarists.

FWIW, there are fucking FABULOUS videos of Jim Croce on YouTube doing I Got A Name, Operator, and maybe a few others . . . just him and his guitarist/harmonist.

But as long as someone mentioned singer/songwriter/guitarists

Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman"

I woke up this morning regretting using that word.  But if what you wrote is the best alternative I may get over it.  Maybe I should dust off the old acoustic and write a sensitive, confessional song to express my angst...

Speaking of confessions, I like all of Stevens' early '70s stuff.  I even enjoy "Foreigner".  But then, I'm a goofball whose favorite Elton John album is "Captain Fantastic". 

Am I still allowed to play?  This game, not the guitar, which I have but can't.

Patience, APRTW.  We old farts will be nodding off soon enough.

Last edited by JV (8/09/2011 6:32 am)

8/09/2011 8:07 am  #54

"But then, I'm a goofball whose favorite Elton John album is "Captain Fantastic".

That's not as bad an album as people made it out to be. It had the unfortunate distinction of following "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," which was impossible. No one knows what DaVinci painted after the Mona Lisa, but I'll bet most of the art critics at the time gave him shit for it not being as good.
Yellow Brick Road was the first real album I ever owned. My uncle gave it to me because he hated it. I have no idea how anyone gives away that album. And there were so many good songs that never made it to the radio.

8/09/2011 8:26 am  #55

artie_fufkin wrote:

Yellow Brick Road was the first real album I ever owned. My uncle gave it to me because he hated it. I have no idea how anyone gives away that album. And there were so many good songs that never made it to the radio.

If I recall correctly, I began my short and tempestuous relationship with the Columbia Record Club in order to get that album.

8/09/2011 9:21 am  #56

"short and tempestuous relationship with the Columbia Record Club"

Is there any other kind? One of my friends from high school thought he could beat the system by signing up under a pseudonym and then informing them of the untimely death of same. I'm not sure how it worked out.

8/09/2011 10:18 am  #57

One of the problems is that the 60's really ended in about 1973, so if we list the great albums of the 70's, several are from 1970 itself, and are by acts associated with the 60's:

The Beatles "Let It Be" (this might be in the bottom half of their releases and yet it still far surpasses much of what came after 1973-ish).

Simon and Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Toss in the Carole King record from 1970, and you have three of my top 10 list, I suspect.

Last edited by Max (8/09/2011 10:19 am)

8/10/2011 8:21 am  #58

Max wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

some continuations:

absolutely for "Who's Next", and I would throw "Quadrophenia" in there.
Neil Young "Harvest", "Live Rust".
(dare we mention Frampton's "Comes Alive" for its key role in popularizing the 'double live' format.)

You could, but you'd be inaccurate since "Kiss Alive" came out a year before.

Well shit, if we're counting any hack band, then let's go back to:

Wishbone Ash "Live Dates" for a killer double live album.

I'm sure the eight Wishbone Ash fans in the world were thrilled, but I thought we had qualified the discussion with the word "popularize."

8/10/2011 9:29 am  #59

I have to give a rec to "The Joshua Tree" by U2 for the 1980's. In my defense, I never listened to U2. I had however heard a radio, and heard about half of the tracks hit radio, and were very good and BIG songs.

I never listened to them, but that is a really strong album.

8/10/2011 10:29 am  #60

alz wrote:

I have to give a rec to "The Joshua Tree" by U2 for the 1980's.

and last night I thought of another album from the 1980's, albeit a slightly obscure one for American audiences, that I wore through the grooves (well, actually it was a CD, so there was no actual wear on the grooves:

Christy Moore "Ride On". 

So, I'll bump The Cars off of my Top 10 list to make way for Christy Moore.

8/10/2011 10:31 am  #61

artie_fufkin wrote:

I'm sure the eight Wishbone Ash fans in the world were thrilled, but I thought we had qualified the discussion with the word "popularize."

To this day I'm not 100% convinced that I have ever heard a KISS song, ever, anywhere.  They weren't played on Chicago radio, and were frankly considered to be kind of wimpy joke band, like the Village People without the talent.

8/10/2011 12:32 pm  #62

Max wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

To this day I'm not 100% convinced that I have ever heard a KISS song, ever, anywhere.  They weren't played on Chicago radio, and were frankly considered to be kind of wimpy joke band, like the Village People without the talent.

Sort of like the way John Cusack is to Keanu Reeves in the acting community, eh?
If you were alive in 1976, how did you not hear "Beth?" That song was as ubiquitous as it was awful. Even my grandmother knew it existed.

8/10/2011 12:39 pm  #63

Beth.  I heard it, I liked it.  Thanks for reminding me.

8/10/2011 1:37 pm  #64

I'm going to put my thoughts/emotions in parenthesis while describing this story.

Holy shit someone at my work is trying to sell seats to the upcoming Taylor Swift concert.
(Moderate Disinterest, I have no interest in Taylor Swift)
Asking 75.00 a seat because she paid 69.50 + 10.00 handling per seat
(Disbelief, scorn)
Now here's the kicker. It's in the Scott Trade Center. Row Q of section 304.
(Ridiculing hilarity)
I had season tickets in section 312 row Q, it is the last row in the building, with your backs on the wall. So I went to stubhub, and found better seats offered for 28.00 per seat.
(Resisting urge to reply to our bulletin board ad with some type of Bernie Madoff comment)

Last edited by alz (8/10/2011 1:37 pm)

8/10/2011 2:22 pm  #65

My wife and daughter will be attending that concert.  I avoided Taylor Swift this time around (although I don't find her nearly as annoying as some of the others my daughter listens to).

8/10/2011 5:18 pm  #66

Max wrote:

Max, remind me how old you are. I've developed a pretty solid theory that 95 percent of Kiss fans are men currently between the ages of 47-50, which made them between 12-15 when "Alive" came out in '75. At least that's been the demographic of the audience whenever I've gone to a Kiss show. Everyone who was older when they broke hated them, and they were uncool to anyone who wasn't cognizant of them before the solo albums were released in '78 (which was basically the end of their career, as far as I'm concerned). And chicks never dug them anyway.

Now, TK ought to be saying to himself: "But Artie, what about the scene in 'Dazed and Confused' with the Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons mannequins in the back of the El Camino? That was supposed to take place on the last day of school in 1976."
Wouldn't have happened. Not among the juniors or seniors that year. I was an eighth grader in '76, and our junior high baseball team used to share a locker room with the high school team because we played on diamonds at opposite ends of the same field. My buddy Timmy Vlass brought in a tape recorder one day and started playing "Destroyer," and the guys on the high school team stuffed him and the tape recorder in a trash can.

8/10/2011 5:20 pm  #67

forsberg_us wrote:

My wife and daughter will be attending that concert.  I avoided Taylor Swift this time around (although I don't find her nearly as annoying as some of the others my daughter listens to).

I heard a Lady Gaga song the other day. Mind-numbing.

8/10/2011 7:25 pm  #68

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

My kids haven't gone in that direction. Bob likes country, the current version of rock and some rap. Madison listens to Radio Disney, so she's into justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift, etc...

8/10/2011 8:10 pm  #69

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

My kids haven't gone in that direction. Bob likes country, the current version of rock and some rap. Madison listens to Radio Disney, so she's into justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift, etc...

I didn't know Selena Gomez was a singer. She seems pleasant enough on that Disney show she does. Bieber will end up being a punch line. His ilk always end up being punch lines. What's Vanilla Ice doing these days?

8/10/2011 8:40 pm  #70

artie_fufkin wrote:

Max wrote:

Max, remind me how old you are. I've developed a pretty solid theory that 95 percent of Kiss fans are men currently between the ages of 47-50, which made them between 12-15 when "Alive" came out in '75. At least that's been the demographic of the audience whenever I've gone to a Kiss show. Everyone who was older when they broke hated them, and they were uncool to anyone who wasn't cognizant of them before the solo albums were released in '78 (which was basically the end of their career, as far as I'm concerned). And chicks never dug them anyway.

Now, TK ought to be saying to himself: "But Artie, what about the scene in 'Dazed and Confused' with the Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons mannequins in the back of the El Camino? That was supposed to take place on the last day of school in 1976."
Wouldn't have happened. Not among the juniors or seniors that year. I was an eighth grader in '76, and our junior high baseball team used to share a locker room with the high school team because we played on diamonds at opposite ends of the same field. My buddy Timmy Vlass brought in a tape recorder one day and started playing "Destroyer," and the guys on the high school team stuffed him and the tape recorder in a trash can.

47, and I was 11 in 1975.  BUT, I am the last of five, with 10 year spread between me and the oldest, so my musical tastes trended more toward those of my older sibs and KISS was definitely uncool, in the way that Cheap Trick was a few years later.

8/10/2011 9:08 pm  #71

Getting closer to my Top Ten albums of the 70's list; I've gotten it down to 25 and it doesn't have any Led Zeppelin or Rolling Stones on it.  I am trying to think of those that I truly listened to and wore through the grooves, not just those that make me look informed now.

1970: Beatles "Let It Be"
1970: Simon & Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
1970: Carole King "Tapestry"
1970: Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman"
1970: The Who "Who's Next"
1971: Paul McCartney "Ram"
1971: Pink Floyd "Meddle"
1972: Stevie Wonder "Talking Book"
1972: Gentle Giant "Three Friends",
1972: Gentle Giant "Octopus"
1973: Gentle Giant "In a Glass House"
1973: Stevie Wonder "Inner Vision"
1973: Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"
1973: Toots and the Maytals "Funky Kingston"
1973: Alice Cooper "Billion Dollar Babies"
1973: Genesis "Selling England by the Pound"
1974: Genesis "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
1975: Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"
1977: Bill Joel "The Stranger"
1977: Steely Dan "Aja"
1978: Cheap Trick "Heaven Tonigh"
1979: Pink Floyd "The Wall"
1979: Cheap Trick "at Budokan"
1979: UFO "Strangers in the Night"
1979: Scorpions "Lovedrive"

8/10/2011 9:54 pm  #72

"BUT, I am the last of five, with 10 year spread between me and the oldest"

Definitely a factor. I remember when I was still listening to Elton, and my friends with older brothers were listening to Aerosmith.

8/10/2011 10:46 pm  #73

artie_fufkin wrote:

"BUT, I am the last of five, with 10 year spread between me and the oldest"

Definitely a factor. I remember when I was still listening to Elton, and my friends with older brothers were listening to Aerosmith.

My eldest sister listened to Hermits Hermits before running away from home.  My brother listened to ELP and Jethro Tull.  When I was a wee lad my middle sister brought me to Joliet Jam to hear BTO when "Takin' Care of Business" was top.  The Beach Boys headlined when their "Endless Summer" collection was doing well, but much of the crowd headed home after BTO, me included, although I wanted to stay for the Beach Boys.  The next sister did dance routines to "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves", and the like, and I haven't had much respect for her musical tastes since.

8/11/2011 7:52 am  #74

"When I was a wee lad my middle sister brought me to Joliet Jam to hear BTO when "Takin' Care of Business" was top."

I saw the Bachman-Turner Overweight version as an opening act for Van Hagar on the 5150 tour. I'm guessing Eddie and Alex were trying to pay homage to one of their influences by giving them a high-profile gig, but they were past their prime, and it was a curious performance. They were all wearing XXXL-sixed olive drab flight suits like they had gone AWOL from the Air Force and spent six months in hiding at an all-you-can-eat buffet. They played their *hit* (one of their songs is the same as all the others) for about 20 minutes and then gave way, presumably to hit the post-show spread.
The guy with whom I went to the concert, who is black (I think he may have even worn a Public Enemy t-shirt to the show), didn't really know too much about BTO going in, and our post-set conversation went something like this:
"Are those guys popular?"
"Not anymore. They had a decent run in the '70s, but it's been over for them for awhile."
"I can see their appeal to this kind of crowd. That beat was so simple even white people can dance to it."

8/11/2011 9:02 am  #75

artie_fufkin wrote:

"I can see their appeal to this kind of crowd. That beat was so simple even white people can dance to it."

When I was in Singapore teaching for elite students for a model institution, we were discouraged from using the old cliche's as a way of making conversation and building camaraderie.  This was supposed to be the wave of the future, and I kind of got it.  This came up when one of my students wrote an essay that included a line about how funny it was for her to watch me use chop sticks, and an administrator asked her to take that line out prior to publication.  The whole 'white people can't dance/sing/etc.' wears on me just a bit.  And FWIW, the beat, chords, and riff are almost identical in "Word Up", a big hit by the black group Cameo in 1986.  Now that we have that settled let's all stand in a circle, hold hands, and sing "We Are the World".

I won't be much of a public apologist for BTO, but I'd say that their three biggest hits are each distinctive: Let It Ride, Takin' Care of Business, and You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet.

Board footera