You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2014 7:46 pm  #51

Re: Ferguson riots - Michael Brown.

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

"Im sure the officers that work that area understand it just fine."

If a cop with six years of experience is firing six shots at an unarmed teenager, apparently not.

So you would get your ass kicked by a 6 4, 300lb man?

The officer should have shown his understanding of black culture by letting Brown kick his ass, take his gun and kill him. Would have made up for a few years of oppression by whitey.

If it turns out that Brown charged the officer after trying unsuccessfully once to get the officer's gun, he deserved to be shot until he stopped charging. Doesn't matter if it takes 6 shots or 60.

8/18/2014 8:47 pm  #52

or if he is black white or purple

8/18/2014 11:14 pm  #53

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

If a cop with six years of experience is firing six shots at an unarmed teenager, apparently not.

I don't think it's necessarily an either/or situation. One of the few things that's not under dispute is the officer did not know Brown and his buddy were suspects in the convenience store theft, so his request for the two young men to "get onto the fucking sidewalk" because he merely thought they were blocking traffic might be seen as a bit provocative. If the officer approaches the situation a bit more tactfully, then maybe none of this happens.

8/19/2014 1:14 am  #54

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily an either/or situation. One of the few things that's not under dispute is the officer did not know Brown and his buddy were suspects in the convenience store theft, so his request for the two young men to "get onto the fucking sidewalk" because he merely thought they were blocking traffic might be seen as a bit provocative. If the officer approaches the situation a bit more tactfully, then maybe none of this happens.

Every single point of dorian johnsons account of the shooting has been proven false.  Do you choose to believe the officer used that verbage despite that? 

8/19/2014 6:27 am  #55

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

That's a pretty convenient way to ascribe blame to the cop. It's similarly undisputed that Brown wouldn't have known whether the officer knew about the robbery(don't soft sell it to fit an agenda, when you use physical force to steal something, in Missouri that's a robbery, not shoplifting--and it's punishable by up to 7 years in prison).

So yes, it's safe to assume that had the officer simply ignored these two upstanding young citizens, none of this would have happened. However, once the encounter began, it's much more likely that the sequence of events was dictated by Brown's desire to avoid prison rather than the unkind words of the officer (assuming there's any truth to the statement as to what the officer said).

It's so much easier to protest when the headline is "Unarmed black college student shot by white police officer."  But the headline would be equally accurate if it read "Robbery suspect attacks police officer, is shot and killed."  Tough to get indignant about the second headline.

8/19/2014 7:36 am  #56

"Capt. Ron Johnson of the Missouri Highway Patrol, who is in charge of security in Ferguson, said bottles and Molotov cocktails were thrown from the crowd and that some officers had come under heavy gunfire. At least two people were shot and 31 were arrested, he said. He did not have condition updates on those who were shot. Johnson said four officers were injured by rocks or bottles."

8/19/2014 7:39 am  #57

If the police side ends up being true and the situation was reversed, black officer on white man, id still have no problem with it and i know the media or protesters wouldnt even exist.  Thats the honest to god truth.  A justified shooting is a justified shooting.

8/19/2014 8:16 am  #58

To be clear, I'm not saying there weren't aspects of this incident that didn't get screwed up by the police.  Not calling an ambulance immediately was a mistake.  Not covering the body and allowing it to lay in the street for several hours was a mistake.  Those things certainly add to the tensions and were handled very poorly.  They are not, however, criminal offenses.

I'm getting a pretty strong feeling for how this is going to play out.  McCulloch is going to begin presenting the case to the grand jury tomorrow.  That's going to take some time since the grand jury only meets one day a week (I wouldn't be surprised if they request a 2nd day to expedite the process), but in the end, there's too much reasonable doubt, and the officer won't be indicted.  That's going to cause a major escalation of the situation, and there will be a few days of full blown riots.  Then the feds will step in, and Holder will announce that the officer is being prosecuted federally for a civil rights violation.  That will settle down the masses for a while--at least until the acquittal.  Then the shit will really hit the fan.

8/19/2014 8:24 am  #59

I really hope the fed wouldnt step in like that.  The government has to stop undermining there own system.

There is always mistakes made and things that could be done different and better.  We live in the real world not the movies.  Im still waiting for the official statement from wilson before i pass complete judgement.  It is hard to remain bias when every morning i wake up to more crime, more shootings, more looting and riots.

8/19/2014 8:49 am  #60

APIAD wrote:

I really hope the fed wouldnt step in like that. The government has to stop undermining there own system.

There is always mistakes made and things that could be done different and better. We live in the real world not the movies. Im still waiting for the official statement from wilson before i pass complete judgement. It is hard to remain bias when every morning i wake up to more crime, more shootings, more looting and riots.

Wilson and his attorneys are playing it smart.  No reason to make a public statement and have it subjected to 24/7 efforts to discredit it.  He's presumed innocent, and the "evidence" that would supposedly convict him is getting decimated daily.

8/19/2014 8:55 am  #61

'But the headline would be equally accurate if it read "Robbery suspect attacks police officer, is shot and killed." 

But the officer didn't know Brown was involved in a robbery. There was obviously something that set off a confrontation. Whether it was Brown's desire as you say to avoid prison - a dubious prospect as he had no record - or, a Johnson has said, the officer was behaving like a bully, is something we don't know yet. 
And let's not pretend all this happened in a vacuum. White men, some under the auspices of law enforcement, have been killing black men in this country for centuries, and historically it's very rare that the scales of justice balance.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (8/19/2014 8:55 am)

8/19/2014 9:21 am  #62

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

I really hope the fed wouldnt step in like that. The government has to stop undermining there own system.

There is always mistakes made and things that could be done different and better. We live in the real world not the movies. Im still waiting for the official statement from wilson before i pass complete judgement. It is hard to remain bias when every morning i wake up to more crime, more shootings, more looting and riots.

Wilson and his attorneys are playing it smart.  No reason to make a public statement and have it subjected to 24/7 efforts to discredit it.  He's presumed innocent, and the "evidence" that would supposedly convict him is getting decimated daily.

I agree 100%.  I look forward to hearing it but dont expect to for some time. 

8/19/2014 10:19 am  #63

artie_fufkin wrote:

'But the headline would be equally accurate if it read "Robbery suspect attacks police officer, is shot and killed." 

But the officer didn't know Brown was involved in a robbery. There was obviously something that set off a confrontation. Whether it was Brown's desire as you say to avoid prison - a dubious prospect as he had no record - or, a Johnson has said, the officer was behaving like a bully, is something we don't know yet. 
And let's not pretend all this happened in a vacuum. White men, some under the auspices of law enforcement, have been killing black men in this country for centuries, and historically it's very rare that the scales of justice balance.

Let's assume the officer said "get the fuck on the sidewalk."  Hell, let's ramp it up a notch and assume it was "get the fuck on the sidewalk you fucking animals."  At worst, the officer's "bullying" was saying something disrespectful.  By all accounts, the officer never made it completely out of his car.  Unless you believe that cockamamie story that the officer grabbed Brown by the throat while sitting in his car (try grabbing a 6'4-6'5 man by the throat from a seated position and let me know how that works), do unkind words justify assaulting the officer and attempting to take his gun?

And I'm sorry, but the "history of white cops killing black men" is bullshit.  So we hold a cop who appears to be under 30 responsible for a bunch of things that happened before he was born?  At some point people need to quit using the past as a crutch for everything bad that has happened to them.  How many white cops have been killed by black men?  I guess racial profiling is a one way street.

The irony here is that people now have the impression that Ferguson is some suburban version of a ghetto.  It isn't.  Ferguson is actually a pretty decent neighborhood.  I drive through Ferguson every night on my way home from work, and I spent a substantial amount of time in and around the area when I dated a girl whose family lived in Ferguson.  It's the headquarters to Emerson Electric which is a Fortune 500 company.  It has averaged less than 2 homicides per year for the 21st Century.  It may not be a destination suburb, but it's a far cry from East St. Louis.

8/19/2014 10:20 am  #64

Couple of things here. I like to run with "what-if's" myself. Initially I understood it to be outrage over this kid being shot multiple times. Then I find out he's actually a felon fresh off a robbery, and the witness was his co-conspirator. That changes everything to me personally. So does "what may or may not have actually occurred", both in the car and during the shooting. I really still have no idea. I heard a youtube video where people in the background were claiming Michael slammed the police officer and his door back into the car. Leaned in through the window, and I don't know what happened. I've heard conjecture that the cop took a small, but not insignificant BEATING in his car during this time. I've also heard that hands were not raised in surrender, but he was charging back at the officer. The sad truth is I don't yet know what happened. 

There's another issue about the police response to the peaceful protests. To be honest I remember the first few days, and I've seen the building photos of the damage done. Nothing peaceful there. So I'm left questioning exactly how the police should respond to riots? Just stand down and let them burn whatever they want? If it was my home or business being torched I'd happily admit to wanting the cops to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. However, that's for each person to determine on their own. 

Was the cop rude during the get off the sidewalk? Did he call them fucking animals? Maybe/Maybe not. I don't know. If he did, that doesn't entitle Michael Brown to beat him (If that happened). That involves a complaint to the police department and a call to the news. 

I can imagine a set of circumstances that make either party look guilty as Judas. All the testimony I've heard has been from people supporting Michael Brown, and each one mentioned being shot in the back, which clearly didn't happen.

I can't even begin to guess at what was said, done, etc. I know that a cop ended up driving into two people who just committed a felony, a verbal exchange took place, it got physical in the car, some distance was put between them and then one of them was killed by the policeman. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine. I know the Feds have the investigation, and they aren't partial to anyone or anything. 

As a side note, I'm sure that officer is simply horrified that the KKK is coming out to support him... Jesus Christ, that's the last thing anyone wants.

8/19/2014 10:41 am  #65

Post-Dispatch Reporter: "Police sources tell me more than a dozen witnesses have corroborated cop's version of the events in shooting."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/18/report-more-than-a-dozen-witnesses-have-corroborated-officer-darren-wilsons-version-of-ferguson-shooting/ 

Maybe that's completely bullshit.  Or maybe there are a bunch of people who live in the neighborhood where this happened who are too scared of their neighbors to go on CNN, give an interview and state that Michael Brown was in the wrong and the officer in the right.  But if these people actually exist, and if the police have their names, I have to assume they've been interviewed by the County Prosecutor's office.  

Here's a question I'd love to hear asked of one of the protestors: you claim to be protesting for justice, what if the just result is that the officer not be charged?

Last edited by forsberg_us (8/19/2014 10:41 am)

8/19/2014 10:48 am  #66

"And I'm sorry, but the "history of white cops killing black men" is bullshit.  So we hold a cop who appears to be under 30 responsible for a bunch of things that happened before he was born?  At some point people need to quit using the past as a crutch for everything bad that has happened to them.  How many white cops have been killed by black men?  I guess racial profiling is a one way street."

This almost reads like Edward Norton's Rodney King speech from American History X.

8/19/2014 10:55 am  #67

"That involves a complaint to the police department and a call to the news."

Both of which I'm sure would be taken quite seriously. The "White cop rude to black teenager" headline would be as newsworthy as "Dog bites man" and "Sun to rise in East tomorrow."

8/19/2014 11:02 am  #68

forsberg_us wrote:

Post-Dispatch Reporter: "Police sources tell me more than a dozen witnesses have corroborated cop's version of the events in shooting."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/18/report-more-than-a-dozen-witnesses-have-corroborated-officer-darren-wilsons-version-of-ferguson-shooting/ 

Maybe that's completely bullshit.  Or maybe there are a bunch of people who live in the neighborhood where this happened who are too scared of their neighbors to go on CNN, give an interview and state that Michael Brown was in the wrong and the officer in the right.  But if these people actually exist, and if the police have their names, I have to assume they've been interviewed by the County Prosecutor's office.  

Here's a question I'd love to hear asked of one of the protestors: you claim to be protesting for justice, what if the just result is that the officer not be charged?

So an arch-conservative website part-owned by notorious whack job and fiction-spewer Glenn Beck is reporting that the P-D is reporting cops relying on anonymity are claiming there are a dozen similarly-unnamed witnesses backing up their colleague? Seems like valuable information from a reliable source.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (8/19/2014 11:09 am)

8/19/2014 11:12 am  #69

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

So an arch-conservative website part-owned by notorious whack job and fiction-spewer Glenn Beck is reporting that the P-D is reporting cops relying on anonymity are claiming there are a dozen similarly-unnamed witnesses backing up their colleague? Seems like valuable information from a reliable source.

Funny, I never knew the Post Dispatch was a conservative newspaper.  I'm sure the Post-Dispatch reporter who made the original tweet is a plant for the conservative agenda.

8/19/2014 11:17 am  #70

artie_fufkin wrote:

"That involves a complaint to the police department and a call to the news."

Both of which I'm sure would be taken quite seriously. The "White cop rude to black teenager" headline would be as newsworthy as "Dog bites man" and "Sun to rise in East tomorrow."

At least the kid would have been alive to see that rising sun. While you might not see much merit in filing complaints and getting things to the media, there's a difference between rude and utterly racist. Most news agencies would love nothing better than to run a racist angled story about a 95% white police department in Ferguson. 

artie_fufkin wrote:

So an arch-conservative website part-owned by notorious whack job and fiction-spewer Glenn Beck is reporting that cops relying on anonymity are claiming there are a dozen similarly-unnamed witnesses backing up their colleague? Seems like valuable information from a reliable source.

As reliable as the felon trying to sell me on a cop gunning down a kid who was surrendering peacefully in cold blood because he's a racist bigot. In broad daylight no less.

Like I said man, I don't know what happened. Forgive me if I'm not ready to nail the cop to a cross. The kid could have earned every bullet. I just don't know. 

8/19/2014 11:19 am  #71

artie_fufkin wrote:

"And I'm sorry, but the "history of white cops killing black men" is bullshit.  So we hold a cop who appears to be under 30 responsible for a bunch of things that happened before he was born?  At some point people need to quit using the past as a crutch for everything bad that has happened to them.  How many white cops have been killed by black men?  I guess racial profiling is a one way street."

This almost reads like Edward Norton's Rodney King speech from American History X.

Doesn't make it any less true.    

BTW, you didn't answer my question.  Does Michael Brown get a pass on attacking the officer because the officer may have been rude?

Last edited by forsberg_us (8/19/2014 11:22 am)

8/19/2014 11:20 am  #72

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Funny, I never knew the Post Dispatch was a conservative newspaper.  I'm sure the Post-Dispatch reporter who made the original tweet is a plant for the conservative agenda.

I have no idea what the P-D's agenda is, but the reporter is also claiming "In-home therapists who work with my baby all say they are too afraid to visit their clients in #Ferguson area." So none of us should rest easy until we know her baby's therapists think they're safe again.

8/19/2014 11:30 am  #73

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Why are you so dead set that brown was innocent and police officer was wrong on every account? 

8/19/2014 11:31 am  #74

"Most news agencies would love nothing better than to run a racist angled story about a 95% white police department in Ferguson."

Really? Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think you have the experience to know what most news agencies want to do. I can drive a car, but that doesn't make me an auto mechanic.
But there is something troubling about a police department that is 95 percent white in community that's 67 percent black. I've read Ferguson's demographics have changed radically over the past 20 or so years, so I understand there's a bit of a curve, but to only have five black officers out of 55? I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner.

8/19/2014 11:37 am  #75

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Why are you so dead set that brown was innocent and police officer was wrong on every account?

I'm not, AP. I don't think I've written that Brown is innocent, or the officer is guilty of anything. What I do think is the situation could have been handled better initially by the officer.

Board footera