You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2010 9:12 pm  #1

Obscure but Great

I start the bidding with The Zombies' Odessey and Oracle.  Yes, I know the buddy they paid to draw the cover misspelled "Odyssey", but by that time this legendary band was on the outs and financing its own record.  I shrugged the first time I heard it, but it's really grown on me since.  No guitar heroics here - just great pop songs, brilliant arrangements and superb harmonies.  This may be my favorite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXeDFegsYAg

But the album couldn't have a better start than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWfRbW-ObHk&feature=related

Last edited by JV (9/22/2010 11:57 pm)

9/23/2010 10:17 am  #2

Re: Obscure but Great

do you have access to the FBI's file on what books i check out???

i've never heard it, but that's one of the very few music cd's that i checked out to bring on my trip to iowa today.  i've always liked there singles, and think 'time of the season' is genius. 

but for your game, we'd have to decide what 'obscure' means.  yours is a good example because it's a band we all know, but we've probably never heard a whole album by the group.  when i was younger, my friends and i used to specialize in bands that were obscure, but 'famous' among music-sorts, nonetheless.  our favorites were probably Gentle Giant and King Crimson, but i'll agree that your example seem to fit the definition a bit better.  if we were to go my route, it might be 'in a glass house' by gentle giant, because it was an obscure, but great, album by an obscure band.  i don't believe it was even released in the usa, although all of their other albums were.

9/23/2010 1:48 pm  #3

Great minds think alike!

As soon as you stop retching... Yes, I think obscure album by obscure band is the gold standard for this exercise.  But last night, having just listened to this one after three glasses of red wine and, as usual, regretting my lack of success in turning on friends and family to its charms, I saw this "Music thread" forum as the perfect outlet.  I wasted no time thinking up a title. 

Hope you got to listen to it and found it enjoyable.  I think every song is a classic, with two or three exceptions.

9/23/2010 3:31 pm  #4

One of my favorite obscure albums is Georgia Satellites' "In the Land of Salvation and Sin." I know what you're saying. Weren't the Georgia Satellites the band that did that awful "No huggy, no kissy," song back in the mid-80s? Why yes, they were, but after an otherwise decent debut album and an awful second album, they really hit the mark with their third album. The only song that got played on the radio was that acoustic "Another Chance," but the rest of the album has a gritty guitar sound I really like and a kind of bluesy almost-but-not-quite-zydeco feel . And they had matured as a band by that point to write songs that were fun without being silly. The singer tried to go solo after that and the guitar player ended up in Izzy Stradlin's band for awhile, but they never realeased another album as a band.

9/24/2010 2:43 pm  #5

My band played "Keep Your Hands To Yourself." It was fun when we first started playing it, but got old quick. Big-time crowd pleaser, though. And it gives your guitarist a chance to masturbate on the fretboard, so there's always that.

9/24/2010 3:08 pm  #6

"My band played "Keep Your Hands To Yourself."

That's the one. It's sort of like judging the Beastie Boys by "You've Got To Fight For Your Right To Party." Not a bad song, but not really representative of what took place later in their career, or at least what one of my friends who likes the Beasties tells me.

"And it gives your guitarist a chance to masturbate on the fretboard, so there's always that."

I'm sensing I've had a very negative effect on your sincerity after all these years.

9/25/2010 7:21 pm  #7

LOL. Well, I enjoy that kind of stuff, but it can be like novocaine on bar crowds. We played an eight-minute version of "Purple Haze" at our last show, which was the first time we had ever jammed like that. It's fun to play, but unless you're doing it for a bunch of tripping hippies, nobody wants to hear extended guitar solos.

9/26/2010 10:22 am  #8

"one of my friends who likes the Beasties tells me."

"one of . . . "?!?  Good God, how many such friends do you have?

Look up in the dictionary "the null set", and I think the example they give is a Venn diagram of non-overlapping circles with one labeled "friends" and the other "people who like the beastie boys".

9/26/2010 5:14 pm  #9

"Good God, how many such friends do you have?"

Just the one. And he's a lot easier to take than my Phish friends. I got dragged to see Trey Anastasiantiantiana or whatever his name is a couple of years ago and not only did I want to stick knitting needles in my ears, my friends all fell asleep on me because they got high.

9/26/2010 5:53 pm  #10

Max wrote:

"one of my friends who likes the Beasties tells me."

"one of . . . "?!?  Good God, how many such friends do you have?

Look up in the dictionary "the null set", and I think the example they give is a Venn diagram of non-overlapping circles with one labeled "friends" and the other "people who like the beastie boys".

Must be a generational thing because the Beasties are at least the second most critically-acclaimed rap group of all-time.

9/26/2010 6:15 pm  #11

"the Beasties are at least the second most critically-acclaimed rap group of all-time."

Is this similar to the joke about "Caddyshack" being the second-best movie about golf?
My friend who likes the Beasties is black, which is a great source of amusement for me.

9/27/2010 6:02 pm  #12

artie_fufkin wrote:

"the Beasties are at least the second most critically-acclaimed rap group of all-time."

Is this similar to the joke about "Caddyshack" being the second-best movie about golf?

It depends if you think hip hop is a legitimate art form. People born before 1970 generally don't.

9/27/2010 6:47 pm  #13

tkihshbt wrote:

the Beasties are at least the second most critically-acclaimed rap group of all-time.

back to the null set, and examples that are to be found in the dictionary: "The set of all things critically acclaimed" and "the set of rap groups".  I believe those sets are non-intersecting.

9/27/2010 6:51 pm  #14

tkihshbt wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

It depends if you think hip hop is a legitimate art form. People born before 1970 generally don't.

{Raises hand}
Guilty as charged.

Board footera