You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/30/2011 7:06 am  #1

Barcelona, anyone?

Not even the soccer enthusiasts amongst us noted that possibly the biggest sporting event of the year occurred Saturday night when Barcelona defeated Manchester United to win the Champion's League, a sort of world series for soccer that pits that winners of all the top leagues against one another to determine, as a friend of mine puts it, the best football team in the world.  Barcelona, he says, could defeat any of the national squads: Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina . . . doesn't matter. 

Indonesians are football crazy, and the country wakes up at about 2 AM to watch English Premiere League and the roar of fans in each household makes the whole city give an eerie groan when a goal is scored.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2011-05-28-barcelona-manchester-champions_N.htm

5/30/2011 2:19 pm  #2

Re: Barcelona, anyone?

Stan is the only other person who follows soccer, so I figured anything I wrote here would be to myself. That Barca could beat any national squad is a dubious statement, and with apologies to your friend, one that anyone who knows the first thing about soccer would never make. It's like saying the Giants could beat the U.S. national team.

5/30/2011 8:36 pm  #3

"Stan is the only other person who follows soccer, so I figured anything I wrote here would be to myself."

That never stopped me.

The guy who said it knows soccer very well, and I think it has some credibility.  Their work together as a team is considered in a class of its own.  Teamwork is much more important in soccer than it is in baseball, so I think your analogy doesn't work that well.  The individual talent of, say, the Brazilian national squad, might eclipse that of Barcelona, but the Brazilians, in particular, are famous for not playing well together as a team.

5/30/2011 8:54 pm  #4

"the Brazilians, in particular, are famous for not playing well together as a team"

Five World Cups would indicate otherwise. I'll allow your friend may have been caught up in the moment. The CL is a big deal, and Barca winning it three times in six years is impressive.
Spain is the team that's infamous for not playing well together, and the Spanish really buried a lot a demons by winning the WC last year. Domestically, Spanish soccer has a really interesting history that revolves around Barca and Real Madrid, which are usually the only two teams worth caring about in La Liga. The only sports rivalry that has as much hatred and anger is between Celtic and Rangers in Scotland.
I'll never forget when we were in a bar on Barcelona and Real Madrid was playing Werder Bremen, a German team, in a Champions League quarterfinal round game. Barca had played the night before and was already through, but when Werder Bremen scored the first goal of the game against Real, the place erupted.

5/31/2011 12:46 am  #5

you and i have been through this before.  as my brazilian friend put it to me, brazilians themselves feel their players do not play well together as a team, but that if they did, they'd probably win the world cup almost every time. 

i claim no great knowledge of soccer, but often live and work among fanatics, so I pick up some of the public discourse.  the current discourse revolves around barcelona's one touch passing, which seems to be a concept so novel to soccer that alex ferguson is calling this the greatest soccer team he has ever seen.

5/31/2011 9:34 am  #6

"alex ferguson is calling this the greatest soccer team he has ever seen."

Well, that's a refreshing change. He's usually whining about the officials.

5/31/2011 10:28 am  #7

It would be a difficult challenge to adequately present. If Barcelona plays Argentina, where's Messi go? How much of the World Cup champion Spanish national team is in Barcelona?

In a friendly, I'll agree that Barcelona has a team that could beat a lot of national clubs. In a World Cup level match where the national teams have 18 months to get together, prepare, and play? I don't know that I can make the same statement.

5/31/2011 11:40 am  #8

"If Barcelona plays Argentina, where's Messi go? How much of the World Cup champion Spanish national team is in Barcelona?"

Ex-actly. Off the top of my head, there's Puyol, Iniesta, David Villa, Busquets, Pique,  Xavi and Pedro. The rest of them are from Real, except for Torres (when he's healthy, which is never these days) and Capdevila.

5/31/2011 11:44 am  #9

Oops. And I forgot about Fabregas. Which is kind of like me forgetting to include Pujols when I'm referencing the Dominican Republic's baseball team.

5/31/2011 12:37 pm  #10

I hate to sound like a typical American, but the only two members of Spain's national team I know by name is Xavi Xavi (odd name, stuck with me) and Christiano Ronaldo who doesn't play for Barcelona.

5/31/2011 1:57 pm  #11

alz wrote:

I hate to sound like a typical American, but the only two members of Spain's national team I know by name is Xavi Xavi (odd name, stuck with me) and Christiano Ronaldo who doesn't play for Barcelona.

It's confusing. There's Xavi Hernandez, who goes by "Xavi" (prounced "Xabi") and plays for Barca, and Xabi Alonso who plays for Real Madrid. They're both Spanish nationals.
The Ronaldo you're thinking of is Cristiano Ronaldo, who is Portuguese and just finished his second year with Real, after his transfer from Manchester United. He and Messi are the generally recognized as the top two players in the world right now.
There were also Brazilians named Ronaldo and Ronaldinho who were both on the '02 team that won the WC. Ronaldo played for RM and briefly for Barca. I think he went back to his Brazilian club team and may have just retired. Ronaldihno played mostly in Europe with Barca and then transferred to Inter Milan. I think he's also back in Brazil.
None of them are to be confused with Rivaldo, who was also on the '02 team and a played for Barca, not to be confused with Romario, who was playing for Barca when Brazil won the WC in '94 ...

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/31/2011 1:58 pm)

5/31/2011 2:44 pm  #12

Cristiano Ronaldo is from Portugal? Oops! Shit I always thought he was playing for Spain for some reason.

I was thinking of Xavi Hernandez, the midfielder.

I know both the Brazilians (Ronaldo and Ronaldinho), don't remember Romario, or much of anyone non-American from the 1994 world cup. That was when Lalas and Meola were playing right? I'm sure Klinsman was probably in Germany then, but not Ballack or Klose.

It's fuzzy going back that far!

5/31/2011 4:31 pm  #13

alz wrote:

Cristiano Ronaldo is from Portugal? Oops! Shit I always thought he was playing for Spain for some reason.

I know both the Brazilians (Ronaldo and Ronaldinho), don't remember Romario, or much of anyone non-American from the 1994 world cup. That was when Lalas and Meola were playing right? I'm sure Klinsman was probably in Germany then, but not Ballack or Klose.

All of it is correct. Romario and Bebeto were Brazil's two strikers in '94, and Klinsmann was Germany's best scoring threat.
I hate the fact that I'm recommending something produced by ESPN, but its 30-for-30 segment about "The Two Escobars" is worth a couple hours of your time. I don't know if Colombian soccer is ever going to recover from that loss to the U.S. in '94.

5/31/2011 4:42 pm  #14

artie_fufkin wrote:

alz wrote:

It's confusing. There's Xavi Hernandez, who goes by "Xavi" (prounced "Xabi") and plays for Barca, and Xabi Alonso who plays for Real Madrid. They're both Spanish nationals.
The Ronaldo you're thinking of is Cristiano Ronaldo, who is Portuguese and just finished his second year with Real, after his transfer from Manchester United. He and Messi are the generally recognized as the top two players in the world right now.
There were also Brazilians named Ronaldo and Ronaldinho who were both on the '02 team that won the WC. Ronaldo played for RM and briefly for Barca. I think he went back to his Brazilian club team and may have just retired. Ronaldihno played mostly in Europe with Barca and then transferred to Inter Milan. I think he's also back in Brazil.
None of them are to be confused with Rivaldo, who was also on the '02 team and a played for Barca, not to be confused with Romario, who was playing for Barca when Brazil won the WC in '94 ...

I think I just figured out a way to make a soccer game exciting.

"Let's turn things over to today's play-by-play announcer, Mike Shannon."

5/31/2011 5:40 pm  #15

"I think I just figured out a way to make a soccer game exciting.

"Let's turn things over to today's play-by-play announcer, Mike Shannon."

Rec. But Shannon would have to call these guys by their given names:

"Here's Pele, also known as Edson Arantes Do Nascimento ... pass me another Bud, John ... I think I sprained my tongue ..."

Last edited by artie_fufkin (5/31/2011 5:41 pm)

6/01/2011 1:40 am  #16

artie_fufkin wrote:

alz wrote:

All of it is correct. Romario and Bebeto were Brazil's two strikers in '94, and Klinsmann was Germany's best scoring threat.
I hate the fact that I'm recommending something produced by ESPN, but its 30-for-30 segment about "The Two Escobars" is worth a couple hours of your time. I don't know if Colombian soccer is ever going to recover from that loss to the U.S. in '94.

was that the one where the guy scored an own goal, and then got shot to death on the street?

6/01/2011 8:37 am  #17

"was that the one where the guy scored an own goal, and then got shot to death on the street?"

Yeah, Andres Escobar. Athletes who die at an early age at tend to get martyred beyond reality (there may still be people who think Len Bias would be scoring 20 points a night for the Celtics), but according to everything I've read and seen, Escobar was as good a defender as there was in the world at the time.

6/01/2011 11:02 am  #18

I remember that. Couldn't believe they killed him for it. That was right around the time Maradonna got his ass kicked out of soccer too.

I read that Uday Hussein used to torture the Iraqi national team if they didn't perform well. Kicking concrete balls in 130 degree heat, beaten, shocked with electricity, insane fitness and training drills that lasted 12 hours...

I love soccer. I was sad when the US lost to Ghana, I felt we had a great shot to do better there, and just didn't do it. Nothing like the above cases ever crossed my mind though.

6/01/2011 11:41 am  #19

alz wrote:

I remember that. Couldn't believe they killed him for it. That was right around the time Maradonna got his ass kicked out of soccer too.

I read that Uday Hussein used to torture the Iraqi national team if they didn't perform well. Kicking concrete balls in 130 degree heat, beaten, shocked with electricity, insane fitness and training drills that lasted 12 hours...

I love soccer. I was sad when the US lost to Ghana, I felt we had a great shot to do better there, and just didn't do it. Nothing like the above cases ever crossed my mind though.

Colombia's entire soccer network was controlled by their drug lords - hence the "Two Escobars," the other being Pablo. When they got rid of the drug dealers, they didn't have enough money to run a good league.

Uday was a piece of work.

6/01/2011 2:45 pm  #20

Did some reading on Uday. It was just off wikipedia, so I can't confirm the validity of it, but goddamn if it's true.

He apparently saw a woman he wanted, who was with her husband, who was a captain in the iraqi military. He went for her, told the husband he was nobody. The hubby hit Uday trying to protect his wife. They arrested him, raped and murdered her, tried him for treason and killed him too. This in itself is a death penalty in America, and was one of about 50 different horrific short stories about this guy. He had his own Iron Maiden, seriously....

6/02/2011 11:38 pm  #21

Humanity is a messed up species.  We think America is screwed because we have raised a generation of bankers and financiers who think it is their right to rip off anybody and everybody.  But get out to other countries and the elite really run haywire. 

A certain adult child of a certain former 'democractically elected' ex-general turned president recently won a $1.46 million civil suit against the national airlines in a certain SE asian nation because the english translation of one of the articles in their inflight magazine claimed that said adult child spent time in jail for murdering a judge who had convicted him.  in fact, he hired a guy to kill the judge.  [he spent a total of four years 'in jail' (he was frequently reported to be outside of the jail) out of the fifteen year sentence.]  so now the national airline has to pay him $1.46 million.  pretty messed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Suharto

Board footera