You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2011 1:14 pm  #1

Question for the technologically savvy

OK, so this post doesn't really fit the category, but it didn't anywhere else either, so I figured this was as good a place as any.

Thinking of getting the 11 year old a laptop as a birthday present and to use as he starts middle school next year.

Found these two computers at Best Buy.  The Gateway is on sale, so they are actually the same price.  They seem to be extremely similar, but does anyone who knows more about this stuff than I do see anything significantly different between the two that would suggest one is the better purchase?  I can see the Gateway has more memory, so I'm leaning a little that way, but I don't really know enough about any of the other differences.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Laptop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Velvet+Blue/2432285.p?id=1218328230672&skuId=2432285

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaPad+Laptop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+3GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/2171094.p?id=1218312457552&skuId=2171094

Thanks

6/06/2011 2:03 pm  #2

Re: Question for the technologically savvy

We went with the Acer. Trust me when I say the most important quality of a laptop for an 11-year-old boy is durability.
Here's a field test: Ask store clerk if you can take floor model to local bowling alley. Have said 11-year-old throw laptop down the lane at maxiumum speed, striving to strike as many pins as possible. Pick laptop out of pin pit; stuff down ball return. Retrieve lap top at other end of ball return. Plug in to electrical outlet. If laptop fires up, deem it worthy of everyday use by an 11-year-old.

6/06/2011 4:35 pm  #3

Read reviews on the computer before you buy it.  My first laptop was an Acer and it worked great untill it didnt.  It might have lasted two year and I guess that is not bad.  The model I bought had overheating issue.  It was the top of the line computer when I bought it.  When it took a shit I bought a mid-level computer.  It is a toshiba and works fine.  I think we have had it for a couple years as well.  There are no signs of it take a shit as of today.  I believe laptops are not a style of computer that is going to last you 5 years.  They just end up being replaced sooner.

6/07/2011 1:02 am  #4

i use mac, . . . and i'm not all that savvy.

i have a bit of savvy with photoshop, but i kinda think alz was joking about what he wanted done.

6/07/2011 1:05 am  #5

and for what it's worth, this is further evidence of the difference between boys and girls.  we bought my 12 year old a computer for christmas more than 2 years ago--one of those white plastic MacBooks, and there's not the slightest scratch on it . .  . and she even brought it with her to the field, when i took her last summer.

6/07/2011 9:12 am  #6

I looked at a Mac, but decided that was a lot more than I wanted to spend on an 11 year old boy.

In the end, after careful review and thousands of hours of research, it came down to one crucial factor--when I stopped at the store, they were out of the Lenovo.

6/07/2011 12:37 pm  #7

fors.

The Gateway is a stronger machine in a few ways.

1 additional processor that operates at a higher level
1GB more RAM
180G more hard drive space.
a slight upgrade in the video card model

Not a bad upgrade for 50 bucks

6/11/2011 8:41 pm  #8

forsberg_us wrote:

I looked at a Mac, but decided that was a lot more than I wanted to spend on an 11 year old boy.

In the end, after careful review and thousands of hours of research, it came down to one crucial factor--when I stopped at the store, they were out of the Lenovo.

That is the way I am.  When I want to buy something I want to do it now.  Even if it isnt exactly what I want buying something is better then continueing to shop.

7/11/2011 4:40 pm  #9

I am gEtting Sick of this laptop.  The keyboard has some kind of delay.  It misses spaCes and random letters all the time.  I know it geTS used alot but only for web related stuff.  We dont tax it that much for downloads or anything like that.  I am almost ready to go back to a desktop.  These laptop seem to have a very limited life span. 

For example I will cap all thE letters I had to go back and add because they were missed and I type this post much slower then normal.

Board footera