You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2011 10:49 am  #1

USA vs. France

Quoting Dr. Frasier Crane, the phrase "France has won!" is something you never hear.
Let's hope we don't have to hear it today.

7/13/2011 11:21 am  #2

Re: USA vs. France

GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/13/2011 11:53 am  #3

Halftime - USA 1, Silly French Persons 0

7/13/2011 12:54 pm  #4

Full time - USA 3, France 1

7/13/2011 4:07 pm  #5

So what's the early scouting report on USA v. Japan?

I'm just going to say this now, I really hope the "fringe media" outlets maintain a modicum of taste in their reporting both leading up to and following the game.  I'll be really disappointed if I read a headline along the lines of "Japan hopes to pull another Pearl Harbor shocker" or "USA bombs Japan."

7/13/2011 4:36 pm  #6

forsberg_us wrote:

So what's the early scouting report on USA v. Japan?

I'm just going to say this now, I really hope the "fringe media" outlets maintain a modicum of taste in their reporting both leading up to and following the game.  I'll be really disappointed if I read a headline along the lines of "Japan hopes to pull another Pearl Harbor shocker" or "USA bombs Japan."

I'm no expert on women's soccer, and it's so hard to predict he outcome of soccer games because it's the one sport more than any other you can dominate but still lose.
But I'll take a shot since I saw the second half of Japan's game against Germany. Japan is a clinical team that relies on possession. They wear you down by keeping the ball and making you chase them. They don't make a lot of mistakes.
Playing possession alone may not work as well against an American team that is renowned for its fitness. There aren't many teams that could play 10 v. 11 for an hour and still have enough energy to score a tying goal. And both teams will have equal rest and travel considerations.
Attitudinally, Japan wasn't supposed to last this long. The Americans are exactly where they expected they'd be.
Overall, the U.S. is bigger, stronger and faster. They'll have to play well, but the Americans should win.

As far as headlines are concerned, I'd say "U.S. nips Japan on late goal" might be inappropriate, but that may just be me being overly sensitive.

Board footera