You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2011 11:13 pm  #26

Re: C'mon AP. This is for you.

APRTW wrote:

Did they rip the field up for the Eagles concert?

They re-sodded after, but I don't remember them tearing the grass out first.

7/12/2011 11:32 pm  #27

forsberg_us wrote:

APRTW wrote:

Did they rip the field up for the Eagles concert?

They re-sodded after, but I don't remember them tearing the grass out first.

I remember it looked like shit.  I assume they believe this is a better way to go.

7/13/2011 8:52 am  #28

Max wrote:

APRTW wrote:

I kind of gave up on that thread.  They are a long way off but my guess would be elk.

A part of the Northern Cascades herd in a roadside 'wildlife viewing area' on Route 20.  There were about 20 animals somewhere from 100-200 yards.  Close enough that guys with rifles could easily hunt them, but this particular field is off-limits to all hunting.

Our end of Route 20 stops about 100 yards from Fenway Park. The only animals we ever see on Route 20 are Boston University students throwing up at the subway stops.
I believe the section of Route 20 that goes through Sudbury was part of Paul Revere's route, after he left the battle of Concord, New Hampshire to advise the British that Charlton Heston's right to carry an Uzi was protected by the Second Amendment.

7/13/2011 7:17 pm  #29

Is it the same route 20?  It hadn't occurred to me that might be a national route. 

Just googled, it's a state route:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades

7/13/2011 8:37 pm  #30

The real Route 20 goes from Boston to Oregon. Yours must be unauthorized.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/longest.cfm

7/14/2011 2:41 pm  #31

Busch III as it appears today.

http://yfrog.com/kea91emj

7/14/2011 4:06 pm  #32

forsberg_us wrote:

Rock and Roll comes full circle in one band.  U2 began over 30 years ago at the juncture between punk and new wave, when the point was still to throw out the excesses and focus on what made rock and roll great from the beginning, the core of guitar, bass, drums, vocals and large amounts of youthful energy.  Now in the autumn years of the life-cycle of the very same band, a gigantic spidery something-or-other is apparently necessary to convey the complex multimedia artistic experience.

7/14/2011 4:27 pm  #33

Max wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Rock and Roll comes full circle in one band.  U2 began over 30 years ago at the juncture between punk and new wave, when the point was still to throw out the excesses and focus on what made rock and roll great from the beginning, the core of guitar, bass, drums, vocals and large amounts of youthful energy.  Now in the autumn years of the life-cycle of the very same band, a gigantic spidery something-or-other is apparently necessary to convey the complex multimedia artistic experience.

You could have just written: "Bono sucks."

7/14/2011 4:55 pm  #34

At one point yesterday, we counted 40 full length flat-bed tractor-trailers full of the structure that will ultimately become the "stage."  There are probably a dozen or so smaller flatbeds that a hauling the structure into the stadium and a half dozen or so forklifts that move the equipment from the bigger trucks to the smaller ones.  They've been working on this thing for 2 full days and haven't even started building the part on which the band will actually be located.  There are also at least 5 full sized cranes that are in use.

I see now why they tore up the grass.  They needed the hardest surface possible to transport/build all of this crap.

7/14/2011 5:45 pm  #35

I remember when "Wings Over America", with 4 tractor trailers (with Wings - Over - America - (blank) written on the tops so that it could be seen and read from the air) set the new standard for gigantic rock production.

7/14/2011 6:39 pm  #36

forsberg_us wrote:

At one point yesterday, we counted 40 full length flat-bed tractor-trailers full of the structure that will ultimately become the "stage."  There are probably a dozen or so smaller flatbeds that a hauling the structure into the stadium and a half dozen or so forklifts that move the equipment from the bigger trucks to the smaller ones.  They've been working on this thing for 2 full days and haven't even started building the part on which the band will actually be located.  There are also at least 5 full sized cranes that are in use.

I see now why they tore up the grass.  They needed the hardest surface possible to transport/build all of this crap.

Couldn't they have done this down the road at the dome?

7/14/2011 7:02 pm  #37

Max wrote:

I remember when "Wings Over America", with 4 tractor trailers (with Wings - Over - America - (blank) written on the tops so that it could be seen and read from the air) set the new standard for gigantic rock production.

I don't like going to stadium shows, but one of the more memorable ones was Aerosmith at the old Foxboro Stadium. This was in the early '80s, just after the original lineup re-formed. It was a daytime show in the summer and the temperature was in the low 90s, and the stadium had those metal bleacher seats you couldn't sit on because they'd burn the back of your legs.
Their comeback record isn't selling well, the venue is half-full, and they're still not in the sober phase of their career, so they're probably hot, high and pissed.
The opening act was a guy named Yngwie Malmsteen, one of those self-indulgent guitar virtuosos who liked to throw his instrument around. His contribution to music was the invention over-the-shoulder guitar flip that every hair band stole and used later in the decade.
Anyway, Yngwie comes out and does about 45 minutes of his acrobatic crap, and then Aerosmith comes out to take the stage. Keep in mind Aerosmith was formed in Boston, so no Swedish pansy is going to show up Joe Perry in front of his home crowd, even one as sparse as this. So he does the guitar flip. Except he doesn't have the specially-made guitar strap required to execute the feat, and his Les Paul nearly hits Steven Tyler and then goes clattering across the stage. Perry's guitar tech comes running out of the wings and tries to put together the pieces of the shattered instrument. Tyler is pissed at Perry because he's been almost decapitated by his guitar, and another roadie comes out and has to keep Tyler from clubbing Perry over the head with his mic stand. While this is going on, Perry goes over to the side of the stage, sits on one of the amps and lights a cigarette while he waits for his broken-hearted tech to bring him another guitar, as the other three guys in the band try to save face by playing the rest of the song as an instrumental.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (7/14/2011 7:04 pm)

7/14/2011 9:59 pm  #38

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

Couldn't they have done this down the road at the dome?

I'm sure they could have, but where's the fun in that?  Oh, and did I mention that the predicted high temperature on Sunday is 101?  And did I mention that in addition to the sold out seats that they sold general admission seats for spots on the field?  I'm sure it's going to be a treat on the field Sunday evening when that show starts.

7/14/2011 10:06 pm  #39

The extra money DeWitt makes is sure to be reinvested into the team.

7/15/2011 9:08 am  #40

"And did I mention that in addition to the sold out seats that they sold general admission seats for spots on the field?"

Is U2 still that popular?

7/15/2011 2:54 pm  #41

artie_fufkin wrote:

"And did I mention that in addition to the sold out seats that they sold general admission seats for spots on the field?"

Is U2 still that popular?

Apparently.  But not to me.

7/15/2011 4:17 pm  #42

The spider continues to take shape.  Actually I think its one of those giant arcade claws that kids dump several dollars into to win a $0.25 stuffed animal.

http://yfrog.com/keb2zecj

Board footera