You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2010 12:45 pm  #1

Romney Owes An Apology

Health care past clings to Romney
By: Carrie Budoff Brown
October 5, 2010 08:12 PM EDT

Six months ago, as the Republican base lined up against the Democratic health care overhaul, Mitt Romney stood by his signature achievement as Massachusetts governor, a comprehensive health care law that served as a model for the national program.

That was then. Now, stopping “Obamacare† cold has become an article of faith on the right, and Romney is facing the prospect that his health care plan could be his undoing as a presidential contender.

Conservatives, in turn, are increasingly blunt in their advice to Romney: Say you’re sorry.

“I guarantee that, at the top of everyone’s list on how to differentiate your guy from Mitt Romney, the top of the list is health care — until and unless he takes the opportunity to say, ‘We tried, and it didn’t work. The individual mandate at the heart of Obamacare and Romneycare was wrong,’† said Bill Pascoe, a Republican strategist who wrote a post on his blog earlier this year titled “Say Goodbye to Mitt.†

So far, anyway, Romney is showing no signs of backing down. His message is the same today as it was in March, when there was still hope that voters would warm up to the Obama legislation once it passed. Romney blasts the federal law as a takeover of health care, while defending the 2005 Massachusetts version. He argues the two are as different as night and day, despite their common and most reviled feature, the mandate on individuals to purchase insurance.

It’s a two-step that conservatives say they aren’t buying.

“I would advise him to acknowledge he made a mistake,† said L. Brent Bozell, president of the Conservative Victory Committee, who has been critical of Romney in the past for his stance on social issues. “You are defending a sinking ship. Put it this way, I don’t know of any other potential candidate who has as big of a potential single-issue problem as this one.â€

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=7EE19D71-E8AC-95CB-3FCDCE29C6BB248D

This is interesting, since the HCR bill was largely modeled on Romney's plan, the 1993 Republican alternative to Clinton's plan and a plan done by the Heritage Foundation in 1990. I've laughed at any notion that Romney will be the GOP candidate in 2012. He can't run away from his HCR bill. He's gone on the record too many times defending it and he defended the mandate at a GOP primary debate in 2007. He's also Mormon, which isn't going to help, but "RomneyCare" is going to hurt him far worse.

Step aside for Huckabee and Palin, Mittens.

10/06/2010 1:33 pm  #2

Re: Romney Owes An Apology

I'm not sure the assumption that mandatory health care in Massachusetts has failed is accurate, TK. My primary problem with the health care law is it doesn't address the main issue - the cost of health care from the providers. There's no reason for doctors and hospitals to bill $50 for a Q-tip or a Band-Aid, and until the medical-care-for-profit model is addressed, we're not going to see any serious reform.
European countries and our friends in Canada have run national health care programs successfully for years and in some cases decades at reasonable costs. What's "reasonable" is the crux of the debate. It infuriates me when I listen to people who think they've been paying for free health care for illegal immigrants ever since the bill was passed. The backlash against Obama over this issue is largely based on falsehoods, or more accurately failure to present an accurate picture of the law, from the likes of Limbaugh and O'Reilly who don't want to pony up another penny of their enormous fortunes  for anything.
These poor Tea Party people are being played by the Republican elites, and it's shameful.

10/06/2010 1:51 pm  #3

I'm not sure the assumption that mandatory health care in Massachusetts has failed is accurate, TK.

Oh, I agree. I find it essential, and especially so after I heard Romney explain it. That's why he's going to get bombarded in two years.

10/06/2010 1:55 pm  #4

tkihshbt wrote:

I'm not sure the assumption that mandatory health care in Massachusetts has failed is accurate, TK.

Oh, I agree. I find it essential, and especially so after I heard Romney explain it. That's why he's going to get bombarded in two years.

I hope the GOP nominates Palin. Actually, I hope the GOP nominates that crazy chick from Delaware who's running for Senator. There hasn't been a seance in the White House since Nancy Reagan left.

Board footera