You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2010 1:50 pm  #1

Accents

I was listening to the radio coming back from lunch, and there was an interview with a high school football coach from Arkansas whose team was getting blown out in a game, apparently this past weekend. He decided to put in the team manager, a student with Down's syndrome, and the kid ended up scoring a touchdown.
It seemed like a great story, but I couldn't get past the coach's Southern accent. I've conversed with enough Missourians ... Missourans ... Missourites ... whatever, people from Missouri ... to not get distracted in the least by the way they talk, but I can read a map well enough to know Missouri and Arkansas are bordering states.
My question is, and after all that back story there IS a question, where approximately is the line of demarcation between the Midwestern accent and the Southern accent?

Last edited by artie_fufkin (10/14/2010 1:51 pm)

10/14/2010 1:58 pm  #2

Re: Accents

I think it all depends on who you ask.

10/14/2010 4:14 pm  #3

Missourians.

The Southern accent fades around the middle of the state and up. Once you start trekking down I-44 and I-55, it's a lot more noticeable. I live about four hours north of Arkansas and two hours from Columbia/Jeff City and I'm surrounded by Southern accents.

10/14/2010 4:45 pm  #4

tkihshbt wrote:

Missourians.

The Southern accent fades around the middle of the state and up. Once you start trekking down I-44 and I-55, it's a lot more noticeable. I live about four hours north of Arkansas and two hours from Columbia/Jeff City and I'm surrounded by Southern accents.

That doesn't make any sense Tk.  If you're 4 hours north of Arkansas, you should be in the northern part of Missouri.

10/14/2010 5:07 pm  #5

I can understand everyone untill I hit Interstate 10 South . No one can understand a Coonass except another Coonass .

10/14/2010 5:32 pm  #6

forsberg_us wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

Missourians.

That doesn't make any sense Tk.  If you're 4 hours north of Arkansas, you should be in the northern part of Missouri.

I had to look it up and it's about three hours. I'm about 150 miles from the border.

10/15/2010 10:45 am  #7

"it's about three hours. I'm about 150 miles from the border."

What do you drive? A Zamboni?

10/15/2010 10:50 am  #8

don.rob11 wrote:

I can understand everyone untill I hit Interstate 10 South . No one can understand a Coonass except another Coonass .

Ain't that the highway that goes through N'awlins?

10/18/2010 10:24 am  #9

artie_fufkin wrote:

You should try driving through Missouri sometime. It's a nonstop zigzag of back roads filled with truckers trying to skip the weigh stations.

10/18/2010 11:45 am  #10

tkihshbt wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

You should try driving through Missouri sometime. It's a nonstop zigzag of back roads filled with truckers trying to skip the weigh stations.

We don't have a lot of those, but we do have a lot of bridges and tunnels that the truckers have to avoid. And we have to put up with truckers from Quebec, who appear to be the dumbest people in the northern hemisphere. About once a month, some dufus named Jacques or Claude or Jean will hit a bridge abutment or not make a low clearance and close a road for half a day.
About a dozen years ago, one of these French Persons took out a support column on a bridge that serves as the main north-south artery through the city, and screwed up traffic for about three days because the bridge had to be closed while the column was repaired. The cops found booze and coke in his rig, and the local tabloid ran a headline that read "Lumber Jerk" under a full front page photo of him at his arraignment.
About a month later, another brain-damaged Quebecois (if that's not redundant) fell asleep behind the wheel and lost a load of LNG on the highway that rings the city, and some of the gas ended up in a wetlands area. Two lanes of a 4-lane highway were closed for about a week while the state DEP cleaned up the mess. The police chief of the city in which the *accident* happened told the local paper the most appropriate punishment for the driver was for him to be put in the stocks in the center of town and so the locals could pelt him with rotten fruit. I thought it was a terrific idea.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (10/18/2010 11:47 am)

10/18/2010 4:50 pm  #11

Sounds like a pretty colorful police chief and an even more colorful tabloid. But the criticism sounds well-deserved. 

We just have Illinois people to deal with. And for some reason, Oklahomans are invading my neck of the woods lately.

I live on I-44 and there's a weigh station about 20 miles from me. But any experienced trucker going through knows that he can skip the station by taking one of the 30 backroads. Last year, a truck driver took a particularly curvy road out of my town so that he could get on another backroad to connect to another backroad. He wound up flipping his rig.

I only figured out what he was doing when my ex-truck driving friend pointed it out.

10/18/2010 7:15 pm  #12

"I only figured out what he was doing when my ex-truck driving friend pointed it out."

You're obviously not a Little Feat fan.
The tab was the Boston Herald. They're still trying to play catchup after their brethren at the NY Post ran the immortal "Headless Man Found in Topless Bar" headline a few years ago.

10/18/2010 7:29 pm  #13

The Boston Herald is still in business?

10/19/2010 8:07 am  #14

tkihshbt wrote:

The Boston Herald is still in business?

Thriving, at least in the context of the newspaper industry. They've really found a niche pandering to Angry White Men. Today's front page is a full page photo of the Republican candidate for governor over headline that reads "Cleaning House!" sort of a call to arms to get rid of the Democratic incumbent, who has been mostly unable to pare the $2 billion budget deficit he inhereted when Romney beat the posse out of town to run for president.
If you bother to read the story, it's about the GOP candidate's idea for term limits, which is ironic since his running mate for lieutenant governor has been in the state Legislature so long he served with Calvin Coolidge.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (10/19/2010 8:09 am)

10/19/2010 12:23 pm  #15

artie_fufkin wrote:

don.rob11 wrote:

Ain't that the highway that goes through N'awlins?

Dat's not funny.

10/19/2010 1:15 pm  #16

artie_fufkin wrote:

If you bother to read the story, it's about the GOP candidate's idea for term limits, which is ironic since his running mate for lieutenant governor has been in the state Legislature so long he served with Calvin Coolidge.

Sheesh, even Missouri has term limits. It's one of the few things this state does right.

10/19/2010 9:32 pm  #17

tkihshbt wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Sheesh, even Missouri has term limits. It's one of the few things this state does right.

The problem with a 1-party state is the party in power rigs the game to keep it in power. Once you're in, you stay until you're dead or indicted. (Two of our last three House Speakers are convicted felons. The third is awaiting trial.) In 1980, the Legislature gerry-mandered the districts so the GOP incumbent would get crushed by Barney Frank. Unless Barney call pull defeat out of the jaws of victory in the last two weeks here (something that looks more plausible every day), we're probably going to have one Republican rep. after this election. When we lose a seat based on the 2010 census, guess who's going to go?

Last edited by artie_fufkin (10/19/2010 9:32 pm)

Board footera