You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/03/2012 2:32 pm  #1

Board so posting this for pondering.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-supreme-court-asked-ponder-drug-dogs-sniff-164204608.html

Curious how this will go. Post up what you think.

I'm sadly in favor with the pot growing moron. As despicable as the scum is, I don't think it's lawful for a cop to have a dog sniff my house and use that as reason to obtain a search warrant. The interesting thing will be what happens if the court agrees with me. Do you have to re-imburse the man $700,000.00 because you confiscated his pot plants in what was decided to be an illegal search and siezure violation of his constitutional rights? Or does that split the boundaries of Civil/Criminal law, where the man can't be held criminally guilty, but the government cannot be held civilly liable?

I'm not sure. Randy Weaver was suspected of running guns, and sold some shotty's to an ATF agent, which they were going to use to get him to cooperate in bringing down bigger fish. He refused, and was arrested, his trial date was incorrect on the paperwork he got, and a warrant was issued. He (thinking a fair trial was impossible) holed up. When the US Marshalls were doing surveillance, the dog went nuts. The uncle, and the 14 year old son, went (armed) to check it out. Not sure what went down from there, but the aftermath was a Marshall was shot in the chest and killed, the 14 year old son was shot in the back and killed, and the Marshalls killed the dog. I have no idea the order of who shot who, but that was the outcome. Then as Randy was viewing his son's body in the shed, they meant to take him down, and instead of killing him, wounded him. Everyone running back to the house from the shed, where his wife was drilled in the head (while holding Randy's 10 month old baby).

In the end, the government was forced to pay the Weavers 3.1 Million for killing his son and wife (and dog... they shot the fucking dog!!!!). So I do know of a case where the government has been held financially liable for violating due process in the world of law enforcement.

Interesting where this will go. Fors, what's the verdict from your law degree on the Florida man?

1/03/2012 3:23 pm  #2

Re: Board so posting this for pondering.

Since I don't deal in criminal law, it's just me shooting from the hip, but my thoughts:

- If the Supreme Court takes up the issue, I think the defendant loses.  The Court is a 5-4 conservative majority.
- Without reading the Florida decision, I'm curious as the Florida Supreme Court's rationale.  If a police officer walked onto your porch and observed the marijuana plants in plain sight through a window, then there's no question the warrent and search are valid, even though a house is entitled to greater protection than a vehicle or luggage.  I could be wrong, but I believe there have been cases upholding the use of heat seeking devices that have been used to detect inordinate amounts of heat (i.e., grow lamps) in support of a search warrant, or other circumstantial evidence such as inordinately large amounts of electricity use (coupled with high foot traffic, drug buys, etc...).  I'm not sure how you would distinguish a drug sniffing dog from using a heat detection device, but maybe my recollection of the law is wrong.  I suppose the decision could be impacted by what other evidence they had.  Was there anything other than the anonymous tip?  I could see the Supremes saying we don't want the police simply walking their dog onto everyone's porch in support of a warrant. 
- As far as the civil penalties, I doubt there would be any.  The police did things reasonably, even if the search is deemed unconstitutional.  They didn't storm the house, they went to court and had a judge issue a warrant.  The judge may have erred in his interpretation of constitutional law, but the reasonable exercise of discretion entitles the government agent to qualified immunity.  The plaintiff (i.e., the criminal defendant) would have to be able to show that the police/judge willfully or recklessly disregarded the plaintiff's civil rights.  Considering the initial appellate court thought it was constitutional, I can't imagine the plaintiff could meet that burden.

1/03/2012 4:58 pm  #3

I read something relating to heat detection devices being dismissed as unreliable, as they also flagged legitimate legal heating sources, thus nullifying probable cause. I understand that the dog will ONLY trigger with illegal activity.

I dislike the notion that Joe Copper can run a K-9 unit up to my door for no reason at all, and let the dog sniff search my domicile to establish probable cause so he can do a search. I would assume there was a reason that this Joe Copper pulled that dog up to THAT particular door. I'm just saying if you don't have enough to do a search warrant, you should probably not be allowed to bring scanning/searching equipment up to a domicile and "check it out". That for me, includes sniffing dogs.

1/03/2012 6:06 pm  #4

I agree.  I also wouldn't like the idea of the only additional evidence being an "anonymous tip."  That could be a pissed off ex-girlfriend.

Maybe I'll do a quick search and see if I can find some of the facts.

1/03/2012 6:47 pm  #5

Here's the affidavit submitted in support of the warrant:

“Your Affiant's† reasons for the belief that “The Premises† is being used as [a marijuana hydroponics grow lab] and that “The Property [consisting of marijuana and the equipment to grow it]† listed above is being concealed and stored at “The Premises† is as follows:
On November 3, 2006, “Your Affiant† detective William Pedraja, # 1268, received information from a crime stoppers tip that marijuana was being grown at the described residence.
On December 5, 2006, “Your Affiant† conducted surveillance at the residence and observed no vehicles in the driveway. “Your Affiant† also observed windows with the blinds closed. “Your Affiant† and Detective Doug Bartelt with K–9 drug detection dog “FRANKY† approached “The Premises† in an attempt to obtain a consent to search. While at front door [sic], “Your Affiant† detected the smell of live marijuana plants emanating from the front door of “The Premises.† The scent of live marijuana is a unique and distinctive odor unlike any other odor. Additionally, K–9 drug detection dog “FRANKY† did alert to the odor of one of the controlled substances he is trained to detect. “Your Affiant,† in an attempt to obtain a written consent to search, knocked on the front door of “The Premises† without response. “Your Affiant† also heard an air conditioning unit on the west side of the residence continuously running without recycling. The combination of these factors is indicative of marijuana cultivation.
Based upon the positive alert by narcotics detector dog “FRANKY† to the odor of one or more of the controlled substances that she is trained to detect and “FRANKY† [sic] substantial training, certification, and past reliability in the field in detecting those controlled substances, it is reasonable to believe that one or more of those controlled substances are present within the area alerted to by “FRANKY.† Narcotics Canine handler, Detective Bartelt, Badge number 4444, has been a police officer with the Miami–Dade Police Department for nine years. He has been assigned to the Narcotics Bureau for six years and has been a canine handler since May 2004. In the period of time he has been with the Department, he has participated in over six hundred controlled substances searches. He has attended the following training and received certification as a canine handler....
Since becoming a team, Detective Bartelt and narcotics detector canine “FRANKY† have received weekly maintenance training.... Narcotics detector canine “FRANKY† is trained to detect the odor of narcotics emanating from the following controlled substances to wit: marijuana .... To date, narcotics detector canine “FRANKY† has worked approximately 656 narcotics detection tasks in the field. He has positively alerted to the odor of narcotics approximately 399 times. “FRANKY'S† positive alerts have resulted in the detection and seizure of approximately 13,008 grams of cocaine, 2,638 grams of heroin, 180 grams of methamphetamine, 936,614 grams of marijuana, both processed ready for sale and/or live growing marijuana.
WHEREFORE, Affiant prays that a Search Warrant be issued ... to search “The Premises† above-described....

The case does make reference to the thermal imaging case.  The US Supreme Court did outlaw use of these devises in 2001 (after I graduated law school, so I don't feel as bad missing that) and actually relied on that case to some extent.  The dissent (it was a 5-2 decision) relied on other dog-sniffing cases to conclude that the dog approaching your door and sniffing air on the porch isn't a search.

Having read the case makes this a potentially interesting Supreme Court case.  The Supreme Court tends to be big on not changing precedent.  They have 3 published dog-sniffing cases, all of which concluded a sniff by a dog isn't a search.  Since the 4th Amendment protects against unreasonable searches, if the police conduct isn't a search, there cannot be a violation.  The distinction in the thermal imaging case was that a thermal imaging device could mistake otherwise lawful activity (the example the use was owning a hot tub) for unlawful activity.  However, they reasoned that the dog didn't have the same risk because it only alerts on illegal activity.  Very interesting stuff.

1/15/2012 9:12 pm  #6

Interesting topic.  I wish I would have seen it sooner.

Before I read Fors' last post I was going to say that I was under the impression that heat detection devices used in such a manner is an illegal search.  Another method I believed to be used is obtaining power bills.  Someone using grow lamps will have a much high bill.  However I am not sure how you could do that without a warrent as well. 

As to the dog sniffing side of things.  Courts have found that using the dog on car wasnt a search not to many years ago.  It went back a forth for awhile.  However the courts have always found that a person has far more rights in ones home then they do in a car.  The house is your castle type thing.  The law applies very different to cars and homes.  It is much easier to enter a car without a warrent.  I would assume that this will come down to a right to privacy issue.  How much privacy should one expect outside there front door?  If the courts find that a "front door sniff" is allowed then they will have concluded that there is no exceptation of privacy at ones front door where the public is welcomed.  If they find that it is not allowed they will have sided with the idea that a home is your castle.  I see both sides.  Unlike Fors, I assume they will side with the castle idea.   

One line of thinking that I think applies here is garbage.  The police will do a "trash rip" to a suspected drug house sometimes.  They simple take the trash set by the road and look threw it.  If they find items that lead them to believe there is drug use inside the home they get a warrent.  Courts have found that the trash set beside the curb is abandon.  Therefor a warrent is not needed.  I see a ruling in favor of "front door sniffs" to be an extension of this finding.  I just dont see it happening.

As for the officers being liable.  It wont happen.  If it takes the freaken supreme court to figure this out how can you expect an officer in the heat of the moment to know it?

1/15/2012 9:30 pm  #7

Also I would have assume this to be an illegal search on scene. 

Fors, as to your comment on the supreme courts conservative majority, I think that could factor opposite of what you think.  I know conservatives normally favor law enforcement but conservatives also normally favor the bill of rights.  Houses have always been seen as ultimate sanctuaries.  Right or wrong what is done behind closed doors takes a warrent to look at.  Three exceptions apply.  Exigent circumstances (evidence being destroyed), hot pursuit (chasing a felony) and public care taker (believe someone is in danger).  I dont see how any of these apply.

Board footera