You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2012 8:15 pm  #1

Whitney Houston

Checks out..........

2/11/2012 10:06 pm  #2

Re: Whitney Houston

Very sad, but not surprising.

2/12/2012 12:45 pm  #3

forsberg_us wrote:

Very sad, but not surprising.

Its suprising that she outlived Bobby Brown but I dont get sad whn someone snorts there life away.  I save my sadness for people who made the righ decisions in life and die early.

2/12/2012 8:04 pm  #4

"Its suprising that she outlived Bobby Brown"

No it's not. The material she recorded was vapid and boring, but she could sing. Talented people always croak too soon, while hacks like Bobby Brown survive. He'll probably live to 103, without ever having an original thought.

2/12/2012 9:33 pm  #5

artie_fufkin wrote:

"Its suprising that she outlived Bobby Brown"

No it's not. The material she recorded was vapid and boring, but she could sing. Talented people always croak too soon, while hacks like Bobby Brown survive. He'll probably live to 103, without ever having an original thought.

Being talentless as I am I think I will apply your advice and cancel my life insurance.

2/13/2012 9:51 am  #6

Just not my style of music, but she did it very well. Entirely too slow for me though. Some of her earlier 80's stuff was a little faster ("How will I know?" for example at least had a beat). I have no sympathy for her, but it is sad that she took that kind of talent and decided to become a crackhead. I don't understand how you can have it all (not "almost have it all" geddit?? lol sorry) and put it up your nose....

2/13/2012 11:54 am  #7

I certainly not sad in a sense that I'm starting a shrine, but I do think her situation extremely unfortunate.  She may not have sung songs as important as those generated in the 60s (then again, no one after the 60s has, as we've been told time and time again), but Houston had probably one of the top 3 or 4 female voices of her generation and her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner before the Super Bowl is considered one of the most memorable music moments in television history.

I have no proof of this, and don't care enough to look it up, but I don't think there's any history of her having used drugs until after she married that clown, Bobby Brown.  It doesn't mean that she doesn't have to accept some accountability for her destruction of her life, but Bobby Brown shares an equal, if not greater share, IMO.  And I admire Houston a lot more than someone like Amy Winehouse or Kurt Cobain whose fame was largely the product of their drug use and early death. 

No doubt she made bad choices.  No doubt she hastened her own death.  But I agree with Alz...it's a shame she wasted all that talent after she hooked up with the idiot she married.

2/13/2012 12:31 pm  #8

I think the whole music world can build a star for destruction.  Drug use and bad choices add to there fame by keeping their name in the paper.  It draws fans because it gives makes them seem human.

2/13/2012 1:50 pm  #9

"And I admire Houston a lot more than someone like Amy Winehouse or Kurt Cobain whose fame was largely the product of their drug use and early death."

I'm not a Nirvana fan, but they were one of the biggest bands in the world when Cobain offed himself. And he wrote his own songs. I'm not sure if Whitney Houston wrote much if any of her own material.

2/13/2012 2:01 pm  #10

She has a co-writer credit on only four of her songs, none of which were hits, and two of which were included as "bonus tracks" on subsequent re-issues. Cobain wrote nearly everything on Nirvana's three studio albums.

2/13/2012 2:43 pm  #11

artie_fufkin wrote:

She has a co-writer credit on only four of her songs, none of which were hits, and two of which were included as "bonus tracks" on subsequent re-issues. Cobain wrote nearly everything on Nirvana's three studio albums.

How dare Whitney deny us brilliance such as, "A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido, yeah."

From Wikipedia

Cobain usually wrote lyrics for songs minutes before recording them.[93] Cobain said, "When I write a song the lyrics are the least important subject. I can go through two or three different subjects in a song and the title can mean absolutely nothing at all."[94] Cobain told Spin in 1993 that he "didn't give a flying fuck" what the lyrics on Bleach were about, figuring "Let's just scream some negative lyrics and as long as they're not sexist and don't get too embarrassing it'll be okay."

2/13/2012 3:00 pm  #12

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

How dare Whitney deny us brilliance such as, "A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido, yeah."

From Wikipedia

Cobain usually wrote lyrics for songs minutes before recording them.[93] Cobain said, "When I write a song the lyrics are the least important subject. I can go through two or three different subjects in a song and the title can mean absolutely nothing at all."[94] Cobain told Spin in 1993 that he "didn't give a flying fuck" what the lyrics on Bleach were about, figuring "Let's just scream some negative lyrics and as long as they're not sexist and don't get too embarrassing it'll be okay."

This trolled me. =(

Cobain wrote the songs, not just the lyrics. His musical sense when creating early alternative was amazing. I didn't realize that was his stance on lyrics, but it makes sense, and was dead on. Nobody really cared about the story his lyrics were telling, most of them were just looked at as random 1 liners thrown together to represent some type of vague rhyming. They were unimportant next to the music. His accoustic work which I was highly skeptical of when MTV had annouced the unplugged thing was tremendous. His words may not have been deep, but the band raging behind the lyrics were powerful, and he wrote that as well.

2/13/2012 3:02 pm  #13

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

From Wikipedia

Again, I'm not a Nirvana fan. Don't have any of their albums. But I appreciate the notion it's tougher to create something from a blank piece of paper than it is to just sing what someone else has placed in front of you.
And I'm not sure you want to cite Whitney Houston as a standard-bearer for lyrical content, no matter who wrote them for her. "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" certainly doesn't have social import of, say, "Run Joey Run." I'd like to think we all learned a valuable lesson from David Geddes about pre-marital intercourse and its occasionally unfortunate repercussions.

2/13/2012 3:22 pm  #14

Actually when I think of lyrical genius, I'm immediately drawn to rap. Specifically Eminem/Tupac/BIG.

That multi-syllable sound rap style they were working with is tough enough, but putting into some type of story that can come over is crazy.

2/13/2012 4:54 pm  #15

"And I'm not sure you want to cite Whitney Houston as a standard-bearer for lyrical content"

I'm not.  What I said was that she had one of the top 3-4 female voices of the last 20-25 years. 

I agree with the principle that it's more difficult to write and perform a song than to simply sing it, but having both written and performed doesn't necessarily make it good.  Both Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus write (or at least co-write) their own songs.  Whitney Houston could out-sing either of them with a mouth full of peanut butter crackers.  I'd much rather listen to someone perform a song well, than someone who performs a song (even a well-written song) poorly.

2/13/2012 5:15 pm  #16

*Sigh* The first "Run Joey Run" reference in probably 30 years and no one acknowledges it. Poor David Geddes.

2/13/2012 6:10 pm  #17

artie_fufkin wrote:

*Sigh* The first "Run Joey Run" reference in probably 30 years and no one acknowledges it. Poor David Geddes.

Sorry, never heard of the song.

Just to be clear, I'm not bashing Kurt Cobain.  I don't have a problem with Nirvana's music.  But IMO Nirvana isn't any different from Pearl Jam.  For a while, Eddie Vedder was immensely popular.  But 20 years later, Vedder isn't held in the same acclaim as Cobain, and about the only difference I see between the two is that one decided to blow his head off with a shotgun and the other didn't.

2/13/2012 9:17 pm  #18

"Sorry, never heard of the song."

I'd post a link, but then everyone here would end up hating me because they'd have the song in their head for about three days. It's one of those poppy, schmaltzy songs that were popular in the early '70s. The message is a girl tells her father she's pregnant, the dad goes after "Joey" (the impregnator) with a shotgun, and the girl jumps in front of the shotgun blast to save Joey. Her dying words to her father are "We're ... gonna ... get ... marrrrrrrrrrrr-ieeeed."

Pearl Jam is still immensely popular, as far as I can tell. They're not my style either, but they've got their own station on Sirius XM. The only other exclusive stations on the standard network are for Elvis, the Grateful Dead and Bruce. That's some pretty exclusive company.

Board footera