You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2012 8:22 am  #1

Blues Magic numbers

Blues magic (points) numbers Final.
3 points - New York Rangers (Presidents Trophy)
2 points - Vancouver Canucks (Western Conference 1 seed)
Central Division Champions ----- CLINCHED ------
Playoff Entry ----- CLINCHED -----

Eliminated.
West

Columbus
Edmonton
Minnesota
Anaheim
Dallas
Calgary
Colorado

East
Montreal
Toronto
NY Islanders
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Winnipeg
Buffalo

Last edited by alz (4/09/2012 8:56 am)

3/19/2012 8:11 am  #2

Re: Blues Magic numbers

Odd. Yahoo reporting the Blues have clinched a playoff spot, but I don't see that yet.

They have 6 teams in the West beaten outright. But Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix, Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, Dallas, Vancouver can all finish with higher records than the Blues. If I'm not mistaken that means the highest we've clinched is 9.

3/19/2012 8:28 am  #3

alz wrote:

Odd. Yahoo reporting the Blues have clinched a playoff spot, but I don't see that yet.

They have 6 teams in the West beaten outright. But Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix, Chicago, Detroit, Nashville, Dallas, Vancouver can all finish with higher records than the Blues. If I'm not mistaken that means the highest we've clinched is 9.

Ahhhhh

Phoenix, Los Angeles or San Jose could still end up with superior point totals than the Blues, but because Phoenix plays San Jose twice and Los Angeles plays San Jose three times, one of those teams would be guaranteed of finishing below St. Louis.

See I wasn't digging in that deep.

3/30/2012 8:29 am  #4

I'm not sure if Coliacavo could have played a worse game.... Misses a wide open net, couple bad passes, and then misplays the puck and give's Chicago a 2 on 0 rush on Halak resulting in a goal.

It was a miracle we got a point. 2 more and the Central is ours. Then we'll worry about beating Vancouver, then the Rangers.

PS, thank god they don't allow shootouts to decide the playoffs, we'd be screwed. We're terrible at them.

Last edited by alz (3/30/2012 8:29 am)

3/30/2012 11:00 am  #5

I wouldn't count the Rangers in the Stanley Cup finals just yet, especially if they have to play the survivor of that 4/5 series. Whichever team wins is going to be a bitch, especially if it's Pittsburgh with a healthy Crosby. And if Buffalo ends up as the 8, the Sabres won't be a pushover in the first round, with their goaltender and the way they've been playing.

3/30/2012 11:32 am  #6

Pittsburgh was playing the best hockey in the league until they inexplicably lost back-to-back games to the Islanders. 

I think the 3 teams to fear in the East are (in order): Pittsburgh, New York and Boston.  I don't completely buy into Bryzgalov as a playoff goalie, and I'm not sure Philly can survive that first round matchup.

3/30/2012 1:30 pm  #7

Sorry, I just meant for seeding, I wasn't expecting to play the Rangers for the cup. I'm just focussing on us trying to finish with as much home ice as possible.

3/30/2012 5:41 pm  #8

forsberg_us wrote:

Pittsburgh was playing the best hockey in the league until they inexplicably lost back-to-back games to the Islanders. 

I think the 3 teams to fear in the East are (in order): Pittsburgh, New York and Boston.  I don't completely buy into Bryzgalov as a playoff goalie, and I'm not sure Philly can survive that first round matchup.

There's a dropoff between the top two there and Boston. I worry if Thomas is going to have enough left in the tank with all the games he's been playing since Rask got hurt. If the standings hold, the Bruins can probably get past Ottawa, but after that they're probably an underdog, even with home ice in the second round. They just haven't been able to consistently put the puck in the net since Horton went down. Not that Horton is Stamkos, but they haven't been able to roll out consistent lines.

4/02/2012 8:54 am  #9

The Blues are at worst the #2 seed in the West, which would put them against Phoenix/Los Angeles/San Jose. This may be the best path to be honest. Bear with the funny logic here. It could mean the Blues never play a playoff game against a Central opponent, or they have home ice throughout the western conference playoffs anyway (the only way with the current standings for us to play a Central opponent would be if Vancouver lost to one)

4/02/2012 9:09 am  #10

"It could mean the Blues never play a playoff game against a Central opponent, or they have home ice throughout the western conference playoffs anyway (the only way with the current standings for us to play a Central opponent would be if Vancouver lost to one)"

Not necessarily.

If Chicago knocks off the #3 seed, the Blues (assuming they win in the first round), would play the winner of Detroit/Nashville.

4/02/2012 10:16 am  #11

"If Chicago knocks off the #3 seed"

With the Pacific champ being a decided underdog ...

"Bear with the funny logic here."

It's the NHL playoffs, so there's plenty of funny logic around. If the Rangers hold off Pittsburgh for the top seed, their probable reward is a series against Washington or Buffalo. Meanwhile, the Devils - who are the fourth-best team in their division - get a juicy matchup with the Panthers.

4/02/2012 10:54 am  #12

It would require the Pacific champion (currently Los Angeles) to beat Chicago, I had thought I put that in the post, but apparently that was an afterthought.

lol who knows... Has there ever been a division in hockey that finished with 4 teams > 100 points? You're about to see it....

4/02/2012 11:24 am  #13

"Has there ever been a division in hockey that finished with 4 teams > 100 points? You're about to see it...."

We very well could. Without looking it up, my best guess would be it could have happened the late '60s, when the NHL expanded beyond the original six and all the new teams were in one division. I think the Flyers won the Western Conference with a sub-.500 record.

4/02/2012 11:38 am  #14

I found a year when three teams scored at least 100 - with a 78-game schedule.
(Note the Canucks are in the Eastern Conference, which does nothing do refute the notion during that era that hockey people were as dumb as a box of hair.)

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1973.html

4/02/2012 12:48 pm  #15

Interesting read indeed. Of course, I will say that the new format of records (OT Loss counting as a point) encourages higher point totals due to there never being a tie. Removal of two-line passes, the trapezoid behind the net, the tagging up on offsides. It's pretty amusing to me that I detest the new football rules so much, but love what they have done with hockey. Just please don't take my fights out of it. Please please please please....

4/02/2012 2:00 pm  #16

They had to do something with the rules to neutralize the trap (pun intended). The 1-0 and 2-1 games were tactically brilliant, but the nuances were lost on fans like me who never played and don't follow the sport religiously.
I like the overtime. I don't like the shootout. I'd rather see them play 4-on-4 for a 10-minute overtime to decide that point than with a series of penalty shots.

4/04/2012 9:26 pm  #17

Looks like the Blues will finish 2 in the west.

Unless the Canucks lose their last 2 and the blues win their last two (same for the Rangers) then this won't really change.

Fine by me, they had a better game tonight. The 5 minute major to Reaves was horseshit, that wasn't a big deal.  Then the shootout, and the Blues lost because ....well because they are one of the worst shootout teams in the league.

Still though, it's a first round matchup against Phoenix (right now), we'll worry about round 2 when it comes!

4/06/2012 10:06 am  #18

Might be interesting, both the Rangers and Canucks lost last night, and sit at 109 points with 1 to play. If the Blues win their last 2, they can tie the point totals of both. We own the tiebreaker with Vancouver but the Rangers own us (ROT Regulation and OT wins, shootout wins don't count) on that same tiebreaker. NY Rangers have 47, we have 44 and Vancouver has 42. Updating the magic numbers to reflect this, as it affects Vancouver.

The Blues once again control their own destiny in the West. Tonight is Phoenix, this is a potential playoff preview.

I just noticed something quietly going on in the East. 4 teams clipped 100 points in the Atlantic. If Chicago wins or goes into OT on their final game, they will be the 4th team in the Central to clip 100 points as well.

Board footera