You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/07/2010 11:21 pm  #1

off topic--Politics (you have been forewarned!)

General Petreaus can say, with significantly more authority than I was ever able to muster, the basic premise that got me into such deep shit with the conservatives among our group a few years back: To win the war against Muslim extremists, we need the Muslim middle ground on our side, and the best way we can do that is to rein in the extremists within our midsts. 

We ought to let this guy burn the Quran, in order to demonstrate to ourselves and the world what the constitution means by freedom of speech, but we ought to make sure that a far larger counter-protest, with credible leaders from both sides of the aisle and all religions, is on hand to show that we don't agree with the statement Reverend Terry Jones (isn't that a Python?) is trying to make.  That's how they did it when the Neo-Nazis marched through the Jewish neighborhood in Skokie, and it seems like a fine American solution to the problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100908/ap_on_re_us/quran_burning;_ylt=AjBaRe0JHk6btqk57rrMj96s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTJhcmVuNDQ4BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwOTA4L3F1cmFuX2J1cm5pbmcEcG9zAzUEc2VjA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDcHJlc3N1cmVyaXNl

9/08/2010 8:03 pm  #2

Re: off topic--Politics (you have been forewarned!)

Even Hannity thinks this guy is out there. And Hannity is nuts.

9/08/2010 10:46 pm  #3

artie_fufkin wrote:

Even Hannity thinks this guy is out there. And Hannity is nuts.

Of course he is.  And worst of all, he IS endangering American lives, as we all do when we spout off Muslim-o-phobic crap that sounds like we've spent our entire lives living in one small county of rural Georgia.  We have extremist radicals in our country who hurt the interests of the majority with their bigotry. That's a fact.

But then again, the Constitution protects his right to burn a Quran, or pretty much anything else.  If we let Neo-Nazi's have a parade through Jewish Skokie, then we can let this jerk burn Qurans.  But it would be very helpful if there was a huge counter-demonstration with meaningful and symbolic acts that demonstrate, while we value freedom of speech above most everything else, we also value compassion and understanding, and the average American is working to rein in the radicals amongst us.

9/09/2010 1:48 am  #4

When it comes to Muslims and their rights I real could care less.  I guess it is wrong to take the faults of the middle east out on a religion but that is the way America sees it.  That "religion" has been used as a means for senseless killings to many times for me to give it the benifit of the doubt.

9/09/2010 12:28 pm  #5

By now I am aware that a vast swath of middle America is comfortable with allowing, more or less, all Muslims to be held responsible for the violence that is done in the name of their religion.  In this particular case, however, the rights of Muslims are not in question.  It's the right of the preacher to burn the Quran, and he has that right.  The issue is what's in our own best interests, and whether it is a good idea give the terrorists more ammunition in their drive to recruit new terrorists.  General Petreaus says it is a bad idea to give them that ammunition, at least in this case.  And this particular instance seems to be such a bad idea that even right wing ideologues like Sean Hannity and Sarah Palin are backing up General Petreaus. 

But that is the thing about Americans, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse, Americans often put their ideals above their own self-interest, and in this case, my hunch is that a part of middle America is willing to put their ideal--hold all Muslims responsible for 9/11 and other violence--even if it is against their self-interest (or at least the interests of the Americans who are actually overseas wearing uniforms, implementing American policy).

9/09/2010 12:54 pm  #6

I think America being so god damn politically correct fuels the fire of muslims.  I mean they want to build whatever it is at ground zero and half of America supports it.  That is BS.  To each there own but I am tired of people telling what I should like or dislike.  I am fully able to come up with my own opinions.  Just because Huge Grant has slept with some hot chicks doesnt mean I dont think he is a fag and just because there are some good valued Muslims doesnt mean I am going to support their religion.  I think the best thing for this country is to start voting their mind, speaking their mind and expecting there wishes to be followed through with.

Last edited by APRTW (9/09/2010 12:55 pm)

9/09/2010 3:01 pm  #7

I can see where you are coming from, literally, having spent a lot of time in Lawrence County, which is pretty near you, I think.  And it would be easy to hate pretty much all Muslims, or at least not care a bean if we wound up having to nuke 'em all just to stop the terrorists, if your only exposure to them is through the news and the rhetoric of some of our conservative leaders.  But having spent 10 years or more living within a society where Muslims are the people all around me, that's not the way I see them.

Where ever any of us happen to find ourselves, the people around us belong to a great variety of religions: Baptists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Catholics, Mormons, Jews, etc.  Whenever I saw a hot chick, I never thought: "that Presbyterian is one hot chick".  Or if I knew a real ass hole, I never thought: "damn that Catholic is an ass hole".  Because of the stereotypes in the neighborhood I was brought up in (overwhelmingly white, Protestant and Catholics), I did grow thinking of non-whites, and non-Christian/Catholics in that way: "Wow, that chick from the Philippines is smokin'!".    And when it came to blacks and Jews, there were, of course, many negative stereotypes, unfortunately.  That's common; that's human.

Muslims were a non-issue for me, when growing up.  There were none, there were no stereotypes.  But having lived among them for so long, lots and lots (as in, hundreds) of my friends and family happen to be Muslim, and I don't give their religion a second thought, except, of course, for things like holidays, and which ones do or don't eat pork or drink beer, etc.

None of them support terrorism, of course.

Last edited by Max (9/09/2010 3:05 pm)

9/09/2010 7:52 pm  #8

I didnt say I wanted the Muslims to get nuked.  I said I wasnt going to feel sorry for them.  I dont feel sorry for any religions.  I am starting to think they are all a joke and not about what they say they are about.  Maybe I am stupid but I really dont need others telling me how to be a good person or in the Muslims case, strap a bomb to my nuts.

9/09/2010 9:02 pm  #9

I never meant to imply that I thought you were stupid.  And pretty much I don't think most anybody I've ever met is stupid.  But we all have different histories, different ways we've spent our hours under this sun, and this leads us to very different levels of knowledge about different issues.  If you and I ever have the time and money, I'll introduce you to some Muslims that will get you thinkin' about strapping something onto your nuts:

http://nich3.net/blog//2005/03/blok-m.html (grin)

9/09/2010 10:39 pm  #10

This is why we ought not to discuss politics.

9/09/2010 11:03 pm  #11

artie_fufkin wrote:

Why?   Because it invariably leads to me posting links to insanely hot Muslim chicks that would make you stuff bacon down your mother-in-laws jaws just for a chance to see 'em naked?

9/09/2010 11:34 pm  #12

FYI: Tonight was the biggest night on the Muslim calendar.  Wake up tomorrow morning and and ask a Muslim for forgiveness, and he or she has to forgive you.  And get this, you don't even have to identify the thing(s) you did! 

If Obama was playing ball, he'd give a speech tomorrow saying that he apologizes for any affront the USA might have inadvertently given Muslims, and huge swaths of the Muslim world would be required by their faith to accept the apology!

9/10/2010 12:50 am  #13

For example, here's a facebook status from one of my friends:

"Eid Mubarak to my fellow Muslims & Shana Tova to my fellow Jewish friends in Singapore & overseas! May you find peace in your hearts, your families and others around you :D"

9/10/2010 2:32 am  #14

Max wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Why?   Because it invariably leads to me posting links to insanely hot Muslim chicks that would make you stuff bacon down your mother-in-laws jaws just for a chance to see 'em naked?

My dick is very nonbias.

Last edited by APRTW (9/10/2010 2:34 am)

Board footera