You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2013 2:41 pm  #1

Eastern Conference handicaps

You guys are on your own for the Western Conference, but here's one fan's opinion of what going to happen on the other side.

Pittsburgh vs. New York Islanders - At some point in the playoffs, Sidney Crosby is going to have to be healthy for the Penguins to win the Stanley Cup. They won't reach that point in this series. Maybe Rick DiPietro will start a fight and add a little entertainment value, but this series could get pretty grim for the Islanders. Penguins in 5.

Montreal vs. Ottawa - If I'm Montreal, I would have rooted like hell for the Bruins to win last night so I could play the Maple Leafs instead of the Senators. Ottawa isn't a great team, but Karlsson is back, they're getting good goaltending, and they have some scoring depth. The Canadiens are playing a little better than they were a couple of weeks ago, but they still have issues on defense. Senators in 7.

Boston vs. Toronto - The Maple Leafs stink. The Bruins don't stink, but they've been stinking something awful for the last 2-3 weeks. The last time the Bruins beat a playoff team was April 10. None of it matters, because whichever team wins this series won't ever get past the Penguins. Leafs in 7.

Washington vs. New York Rangers - I hate both these teams. H-A-T-E. Ovechkin is a Euroweenie (plus-2? seriously???). Nash is a ball of pus. In spite of my instinct to go with the better goalie, and my belief that the Capitals don't even make the playoffs if they're in any other division in the conference, I'm picking them, because I have so little faith in the Rangers. Capitals in 7.

5/01/2013 8:37 pm  #2

Re: Eastern Conference handicaps

Is it too late to pick the Penguins in 3?

5/02/2013 8:59 am  #3

forsberg_us wrote:

Is it too late to pick the Penguins in 3?

LOL. You might even be able to get odds on a forfeit.

The NHL's promotion of its product continues to be hapless. For the second night in a row, they put the 1/8 game on NBC Sports Network and the 4/5 game on CNBC. They got lucky on Tuesday because the Chicago/Minnesota game went into overtime, but (at least for the part of the game I watched after Cards/TTTIB) that was mostly because of the Blackhawks' somnambulance. The Blues and the Kings (who are the defending Stanley Cup champions, BTW) put on a much better show.
I understand the logic of putting Islanders/Penguins on the primary station. You're pimping the best player in the league and the big market team. But the best player in the league didn't play last night, and the Islanders aren't a New York team. They're a Long Island team. No one who lives west of Nassau County gives a shit about the Islanders.
And this isn't a Bruins thing from me. We're still getting the local feed in Boston. 

5/06/2013 8:06 pm  #4

These dickheads are going to keep giving Toronto power plays.

6/07/2013 9:41 pm  #5

OK, who had Rask allowing only 2 goals in 4 games against the Penguins?

Board footera