You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/11/2013 12:35 am  #1

First ever solo show

Getting ready for the big tomorrow when I'll be a solo act.

I asked the local open mic host to book me as the featured act, without the spousal unit, 17 years plus one week after the day we first met.  This is pretty much my first ever solo solo gig*.  She made sure she had the night off, and will be in the audience, so I have practiced up "Ticket to Ride", and 45 minutes of other appropriate songs.  

Actually, things are good.  But . . . I DO leave for Korea in a little less than 7 weeks . . . for a year.  

*Weirdness: when living in West LA, my songwriting partner in my two-guitar-guys act lived on Yorkshire about two houses from the one in Santa Monica that got shot up and burned by the insane asshole on Friday . . . and I transferred to UCLA by way of Santa Monica College and of course used the library.  . . . I used to walk the route along Pico Blvd. to and from my friends house and SMC, the route that the asshole carjacked, a few times each week.  I will perform one song from that period in tribute.  

Last edited by Max (6/11/2013 12:35 am)

6/11/2013 9:34 am  #2

Re: First ever solo show

"I have practiced up "Ticket to Ride", and 45 minutes of other appropriate songs."

Sweet Home Alabama?

Seriously, good luck. Or break a leg. Whichever applies. 

6/11/2013 10:08 am  #3

"Sweet Home Alabama?"

Last night our firm had one of its semi-regularly scheduled dinners.  I'm not sure who finds these things enjoyable or even remotely cost-effective, but there's an expectation of attending unless you have good reason not to, so I dutifully attended.

The only portion of the evening I was looking forward to (besides the end) was one of the partners, (a Notre Dame grad), had a bet with one of our associates (an Alabama grad) about the outcome of the National Championship game.  Thanks to Alabama's victory, the partner was to stand before us wearing an Alabama jersey and sing Sweet Home Alabama. 

He totally welched on the bet.  He attended, ate dinner and ran out as dessert was being served.  He's deservedly catching a ration of shit for it today, but that isn't good enough.  Fucking Domers.

6/11/2013 12:16 pm  #4

"He totally welched on the bet."

Isn't "Welch" an Irish surname anyway?

6/11/2013 3:31 pm  #5

I think it's "welshed", and is yet another derisive term by the Anglo-English for their kin from the British Isles.

"A related colloquialism is the verb to welsh/welch ('to renege') as in 'to welsh/welch on a deal or bet', which is derived from an age-old 'English' stereotype of the Welsh/Celtic peoples as unreliable oath-breakers,[1] making it a somewhat pejorative term."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_(surname)

Last edited by Max (6/11/2013 3:33 pm)

6/11/2013 3:34 pm  #6

Whatever the word, he did it.  Ran out like a coward.

6/11/2013 5:39 pm  #7

forsberg_us wrote:

Ran out like a coward.

It's still kind of a touchy subject on this board.

Board footera