You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2014 8:27 pm  #1

Rodger Saffold?

I have to confess I haven't studied too much film of the Rams' offensive line, but did the Raiders just give $42.5 million freaking dollars to a player who had to be moved to guard because he isn't good enough to play left tackle?
All Reggie McKenzie does for his first two years is complain about the bad contracts Al Davis left behind, and his first move now that he has $60 million in cap space is to overpay for Saffold when he could have had Jared Veldheer - one of the few guys they had who can actually play well - at a cheaper price.
Then he lets Lamaar Houston leave, lets their leading rusher leave (Jennings wasn't great, but at least he showed up every week) and then - incredibly - gives McFadden $4 million to watch another season from the bench.
As hard as this is to believe, the Raiders are a worse football team today than they were yesterday. And yesterday they were stunningly bad.
It's getting to a point where I can't take this anymore.

3/11/2014 8:55 pm  #2

Re: Rodger Saffold?

If it makes you feel any better, Saffold is unlikely to play all 16 games. I think he's been injured each of the last 3 seasons.

That said, it was unfortunate for the Rams. Saffold was a very good guard. There were people who believed he could have been all-pro at the position. But he's just an average tackle, and that's if he plays on the right side. He's a below average left tackle.

Saffold didn't get moved from left tackle to guard. He played right tackle this season after the Rams signed Jake Long, then moved to guard when Harvey Dahl was injured

Last edited by forsberg_us (3/11/2014 9:00 pm)

3/11/2014 10:51 pm  #3

All that really doesn't help my mood. Veldheer isn't exactly Jack Youngblood either, but when he's healthy, he's an effective player and the Raiders haven't had a lot of those lately.
Now ESPN is reporting they're going after Revis. He's better than anyone who's played corner for the Raiders since Asomugha left, but he'll cost them more than a quarter of their cap space. They need about a dozen above-average guys, not two or three really expensive players.
The only good thing that happened today was the Patriots got worse. A whole lot worse. I think Belichick thinks he can win with just his brilliance and Brady's arm. It might be enough to finish first in that cruddy AFC Norris division, but they're not winning the Super Bowl.

3/12/2014 10:40 am  #4

I just looked it up.  The last 3 seasons, Saffold played 9 games (2011), 10 games (2012) and 12 games (2013).

Saffold is an above-average run blocker, but an average at best pass blocker.  That's part of the reason the switch to guard made so much sense.  The Rams weren't willing to pay him to be a tackle because they didn't view him as a very good tackle.

3/12/2014 2:51 pm  #5

Today has been a better day so far. I like the Austin Howard signing. Justin Tuck and LaMarr Woodley don't have a lot of tread left on the tires, but hopefully they're talking about short-term deals.
I have no idea how Denver is throwing around all this cash. Probably blowing off the salary cap, like they've done before.
The elephant in the room is stll the QB. They don't have one. And if they blow a bunch of cash on Michael Vick, I'm going to open a vein.

3/12/2014 9:25 pm  #6

Saffold failed his physical. The Raiders voided the deal.

And now he's apparetly re-signing with the Rams as a guard.

Last edited by forsberg_us (3/13/2014 7:29 am)

3/13/2014 8:43 am  #7

What a bizarre sequence. I'm thinking the Raiders got nervous when they realized what they were doing and backed off. It's the only thing that makes sense.

3/13/2014 9:27 am  #8

"It's the only thing that makes sense."

When during the last dozen years have the Raiders done anything that makes sense?

3/13/2014 9:44 am  #9

"I'm thinking the Raiders got nervous when they realized what they were doing and backed off."

Schefter is reporting Mark Davis scrubbed the deal, which makes your suggestion highly-plausible.

Board footera