You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2014 2:11 pm  #51

Re: Playoffs?? Playoffs?!?!

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

"and nobody does it better than Quick"

If Quick can do it for one more game and one more series thereafter, I should win our fantasy hockey league.  Otherwise I'm looking at 4th place.

Well thank goodness. Knowing your fantasy team is still in contention alleviates all my frustration about the Bruins losing to the friggin' Canadiens.

Glad I could help.

So, who you got in the Eastern Conference Finals? 

5/15/2014 2:25 pm  #52

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

"and nobody does it better than Quick"

If Quick can do it for one more game and one more series thereafter, I should win our fantasy hockey league.  Otherwise I'm looking at 4th place.

Well thank goodness. Knowing your fantasy team is still in contention alleviates all my frustration about the Bruins losing to the friggin' Canadiens.

Glad I could help.

So, who you got in the Eastern Conference Finals? 

It's like deciding who I wanted to win the Iran-Iraq War. 
I'll be rooting the rest of the way for the team that wins tomorrow night in Southern California. Even though Corey Perry is kind of douchey, if it's Anaheim.

5/16/2014 12:25 pm  #53

Yeah. Unfortunately this playoff season has basically went less and less interesting to me every day.

Blues out. Go Colorado! They gone. Chicago beats Minnesota who I could have cheered for. In the east.... I don't care about the east.

I can't root for LA and rooting for Chicago is like making out with a relative to me.... It just seems very very wrong. I'm hoping Anaheim pulls through from the West. But my interest is nearly gone.

5/19/2014 1:14 pm  #54

Didn't realize the conference finals would hit that quickly. I lost the anaheim // LA Kings series.

At this point I'm just praying for horrible injuries to occur in the West, and will be rooting for whatever team makes it in the East. Even if it is the Rangers.

6/02/2014 10:44 am  #55

So we're down to the Kings v. Rangers.

Since I know Artie is interested, I'm holding a small lead in our fantasy league.  I'm probably certain to win if the series goes 7 games, and could hold on even if the Rangers win in 6.

6/02/2014 11:41 am  #56

forsberg_us wrote:

Since I know Artie is interested, I'm holding a small lead in our fantasy league.  I'm probably certain to win if the series goes 7 games, and could hold on even if the Rangers win in 6.

Last night's game has to be depressing for all those people from Chicago who now have nothing to look forward to until the Bears' first game.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (6/02/2014 11:45 am)

6/02/2014 1:05 pm  #57

Well, I watched game 7. I saw a lot of things that both of these teams do well that we just don't.

We're big mean hitters! No we're not. We hit their big mean hitters, but their hitters hit everyone. Hossa, Sharp, Kane, etc... They almost never get the freedom to run around with the puck like we gave Chicago. There's just no room there. Someone will step up and when that happens, the puck comes out. We couldn't get the puck away from Hossa with a crowbar and dynamite... I watched a defensive zone flip. Blues do this all the time... no big deal.. This one however came down right on top of a streaking winger... Hit him perfectly, and he had an excellent scoring chance. We don't have anyone that can be on the other end of a pass like that. I don't really know that I saw any soft goals.... There was always a reason it went in. Quick couldn't see it, a one hopper that skipped over pads (Sharps goal... that was insane), someone knocked a rebound out of mid air just below the crossbar... A partial block spelled disaster (this happened a few times). The Blues get to contend with all that too, and then there's simply shots that get by our goalies...

So over all I came out of that game realizing exactly what the Blues are still missing to truly be counted with LA or Chicago as a Western Conference power. We're getting better every year, but we're not there yet... And we need about five more Tarasenko/Schwartz/Oshie/Steen style forwards to be there. There's a balance to the razzle/dazzle and the grit that Chicago and LA are showcasing that is just so far beyond what we have still... But we're getting better each year (at least we were until we traded a first round pick away for no damned good reason)...

6/04/2014 3:40 pm  #58

It pains me to say, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Blues are the Cubs of the NHL.  The franchise is cursed--it has to be.  Some friends and I were takling about the Blues the other day and that discussion made me look up something.  Consider this:

In 2006, the Blues had the #1 overall pick.  The Blues drafted Erik Johnson.  Two spots later, the Hawks drafted Jonathon Toews.

2006 was the only year in the mid-late 2000's that didn't feature a consensus top pick.  Other #1 overall picks around that time

2004- Alex Ovechkin
2005- Sidney Crosby
2007- Patrick Kane
2008- Steven Stamkos
2009- John Tavares

The Blues could've sucked in any of those years.  Instead, they sucked the one year it didn't really help them.

6/04/2014 4:44 pm  #59

"the Blues are the Cubs of the NHL."

Not really. The Cubs have won the World Series at least twice. The closest the Blues have gotten to the Stanley Cup is watching the team that's just beaten them skate around with it.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (6/04/2014 4:45 pm)

6/04/2014 8:03 pm  #60

The Cubs run of futility is at 105 years. The Blues are only at 47 years. Titles won before World War I don't really count.

6/04/2014 8:23 pm  #61

forsberg_us wrote:

The Cubs run of futility is at 105 years. The Blues are only at 47 years. Titles won before World War I don't really count.

That was more gracious than I expected. I was bracing for the "go fuck yourself" response. Which would have been deserved.

6/04/2014 8:39 pm  #62

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

That was more gracious than I expected. I was bracing for the "go fuck yourself" response. Which would have been deserved.

I didn't want to give you the satisfaction.

Plus I'm in a good move. Just watched Bob blow thru an upperclassman left tackle and run down the QB from behind in his first practice in pads with the high school. He couldn't hit the QB, but he had him lined up if he could have.

Last edited by forsberg_us (6/04/2014 8:42 pm)

6/04/2014 10:46 pm  #63

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

I didn't want to give you the satisfaction.

Plus I'm in a good move. Just watched Bob blow thru an upperclassman left tackle and run down the QB from behind in his first practice in pads with the high school. He couldn't hit the QB, but he had him lined up if he could have.

A-S-U ... A-S-U ... A-S-U ...

6/08/2014 12:03 am  #64

Kings win again, this time erasing TWO 2-goal deficits in the same game. LA seems to have hit upon the ideal formula for playoff success.

Last edited by JV (6/08/2014 1:25 pm)

6/14/2014 7:28 pm  #65

forsberg_us wrote:

Since I'm sure you're curious, I ended up winning the league by 31 points. That gives me 7 wins in 23 seasons.

6/15/2014 7:08 pm  #66

I'm going to lose my NHL fan card. I fell asleep between the first and second OTs and when I woke up, there was an informercial on. 
Congrats on winning your fantasy league, Fors.

Board footera