You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2014 7:34 pm  #101

Re: Match Results

alz wrote:

There's apparently some mystique in not knowing what the refs time is. And make no mistake, the game ends according to the refs clock. You can have a fairly sure guess based on the posted extra time but he stops and starts his clock as the game goes.

Back when I worked at the police department, we used to play floor hockey on an indoor soccer field. On an ideal night, each team would have 3 subs, but it wasn't unusual to have no subs or 1 sub per team.  Suffice to say, it was easy to get tired.

About half the time, we had access to the controls for the scoreboard and could set the clock for a running 20 minute period. When we didn't have the clock, my friend Tom would decide when the period would end. Mysteriously, whenever Tom's team was behind, the periods seem to run long. I remember one night the 2nd period lasted 34 minutes.

I realize a soccer referee can't do anything that drastic, but it isn't hard for 5 minutes of extra time to become 6 minutes or more depending on who has the lead.

7/02/2014 11:47 pm  #102

"I realize a soccer referee can't do anything that drastic, but it isn't hard for 5 minutes of extra time to become 6 minutes or more depending on who has the lead."

You be amazed. It gets pretty blantant A few years ago, I was watching a Arsenal game against Stoke that Arsenal needed to win to qualify for the Champions League. The game was tied and the 4th official threw up a 9 on the extra time clock.
Arsenal scored and won the game and grabbed the Champions League berth, which if you make it to the knockout stage is probably worth $140 million or so. 

7/05/2014 12:07 pm  #103

Neymar out of the rest of the tournament with a broken back.... and they lose another player with a double yellow card. Big part of their defense too...

I have to sympathize with the Brazilians, that tackle involved a flying knee to the done and should have warranted a yellow card at the very least. Was called a foul but Brazil was allowed to play the advantage..

I don't know how they beat Germany with those two out...

7/08/2014 3:34 pm  #104

Someone apparently forgot to tell Brazil they were playing today

Last edited by alz (7/08/2014 4:19 pm)

7/08/2014 3:49 pm  #105

5-0 at halftime?

Poland put up a better defense against Germany.

7/08/2014 3:59 pm  #106

What time do the riots begin in Brazil?

Seriously, as happy as German fans have to be, if they're smart, they're taking off their Germany jersey before leaving the stadium.

7/08/2014 4:20 pm  #107

Fred may need a disguise as well....

7/08/2014 4:26 pm  #108

Now it's 6.... Jesus we've talked about Brazil underwhelming.... but this is a behind the woodshed beating...

7/08/2014 4:35 pm  #109

And 7.....and it was a beautiful strike

7/08/2014 5:28 pm  #110

DISCLAIMER-- The topic of rape is not funny, and it is terribly inappropriate for any joke to reference the topic in a distasteful attempt at humor.

That said, I'll admit, this made me laugh.

7/08/2014 5:36 pm  #111

alz wrote:

And 7.....and it was a beautiful strike

So is this soccer's version of a good old fashion country ass whuppin' ?

7/08/2014 6:36 pm  #112

4-1 is an ass beating... this is pearl harbor

7/08/2014 8:45 pm  #113

forsberg_us wrote:

5-0 at halftime?

Poland put up a better defense against Germany.

Rec. But I can't get anywhere with the link you posted.

Board footera