You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2014 2:44 pm  #1

WC predictions

Group A
Brazil is obviously the clear-cut favorite. Among the other three teams, Croatia has the best pedigree, though Cameroon has the best scorer in Samuel Eto'o. There's a lot of angst in Mexico about the injuries Montes and Marquez picked up over the weekend. They'll miss Montes, but Mexico wasn't playing well enough beforehand to think they'll advance.
I'll go with Brazil and Croatia

Group B
Tough group here, especially if you're Australia. Spain is again a heavy favorite, but the Spanish seem a little more vulnerable than they were four years ago and in Euro '12. Netherlands' chances will come down to Van Persie's fitness. I like Chile playing on its own continent, despite a lack of star power.
Spain and Chile to advance

Group C
Maybe the most interesting group in the first stage. You've got three teams that like to play a wide open pace, and Greece, which has traditionally been a plodding side. I don't know if Ivory Coast will win a game, but they'll be fun to watch. Kolo Toure might miss the tournament due to malaria (how often these days do you see someone come down with malaria?), which is disconcerting for the Ivorians. Japan is terminally underrated. Again, I like Colombia playing on its own continent.
Colombia and Greece to advance

Group D
The second-toughest group in the draw, and the toughest to predict. I'm still not sold on Uruguay. Is Suarez fit? Is Forlan too old? Italy is always solid, and if Balotelli is on form, they could be dangerous. England is unimpressive in the middle with the exception of Steven Gerrard and in the back, and four years later the English still haven't developed a decent keeper. Joe Hart is, at his best, adequate. Costa Rica might contend for second place in another group, but they'll be overwhelmed in this one.
Italy and Uruguay to advance

Group E
A relatively weak group that ought to be dominated by Switzerland, though it's always difficult to predict how the French will perform. Ecuador might be the weakest South American team in the field.  Honduras? Pack light, boys. You don't lose to an Israeli side that traditionally plays like crap when it leaves its own soil and expect to advance in the World Cup.
Switzerland and France to move on

Group F
Argentina is basically playing three tuneup matches with the hope that Messi doesn't get hurt. The second spot comes down to either Bosnia-Herz or Nigeria, and that's a tossup. Thanks for coming, Iran.
Argentina and Bosnia-Herzegovina to advance

Group G
And here we go. Group of Death. The US and A's chances hinge on a win over Ghana and a draw with Portugal, and hope to advance on goal differential. That requires a lot of optimism.
Forget about beating the Germans. They might end up winning the whole thing. I think the other spot will come down to the Ghana/Portugal game.
Germany and Portugal to advance

Group H
Belgium is the clear-cut favorite in the group, with the caveat Russia has enough talent to win it. Or the Russians can lose all three games and crash out. I can't take South Korea seriously after they lost to Lebanon in qualifying. Any chance Algeria has of advancing involves stadium collapses.
Belgium and Russia to advance

6/02/2014 3:33 pm  #2

Re: WC predictions

Group A
Brazil (Winner)
Mexico (Winner)

Group B
Spain (Fail)
Netherlands (Winner -wrong seed though)

Group C
Ivory Coast (Fail)
Columbia (Winner -wrong seed though)

Group D
Italy (Fail)
Uruguay (Winner)

Group E
France (Winner)
Switzerland (Winner)

Group F
Argentina (Winner)
Nigeria (Winner)

Group G
Germany (Winner)
United States (Winner)

Group H
Belgium (Winner)
Algeria (Winner)

I'm not explaining any of these, some of them are really just random guesses (I have no knowledge of how strong the Russian National team is for example)...

I'm going to call group G though. USA beats Ghana. Plays Portugal to a tie, and in a stunning effort, plays Germany to a tie. Germany advances with a 2-0-1 record, the US advances with a 1-0-2 record. Germany is our last contest, with them going from easiest to hardest in order. I think that helps us. I think playing Portugal after Germany beats them helps us get a better result against Portugal. If we can control our own destiny with a tie against Germany, I think we can pull it off.

Yes I'm being a complete fucking homer... It's a four year tournament. I'm allowed!

Last edited by alz (6/27/2014 1:06 pm)

6/02/2014 9:21 pm  #3

"Yes I'm being a complete fucking homer... It's a four year tournament. I'm allowed!"

Nothing wrong with that, and I'm certainly going to root for the U.S., but their group is just so tough. They're up against two of the best five teams in the world, and Portugal is an especially difficult matchup because of their concerns on the back line. They're going to have all kinds of problems containing Rinaldo.
The best way to get a result against Germany is hope the Germans win their first two games and qualify for the Round of 16 before they have to play the U.S. Germany just doesn't lose to teams it's supposed to beat.

6/02/2014 10:00 pm  #4

No I'm thinking if we get our shit together and Germany is 2-0... I could see us drawing. Beating them is optimism bordering on the absurd. If we played them 100 games we would lose 85, tie 14, win 1.

6/26/2014 1:50 pm  #5

I think I'm kicking your ass so far here Artie!

6/26/2014 2:16 pm  #6

alz wrote:

I think I'm kicking your ass so far here Artie!

True, but at least I got this part right:

"The US and A's chances hinge on a win over Ghana and a draw with Portugal, and hope to advance on goal differential."

File under: Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

6/26/2014 2:18 pm  #7

Very true, I thought we'd catch a draw off Germany, but I didn't count on Ghana drawing Germany.

Most of my picks were pretty much guesses.

6/26/2014 5:38 pm  #8

Round two.

Brazil vs Chile (Brazil) Winner
Columbia vs Uruguay (Columbia) Winner
France vs Nigeria (France) Winner
Germany vs Algeria (Germany) Winner

Netherlands vs Mexico (Netherlands) Winner
Costa Rica vs Greece (Costa Rica) Winner
Argentina vs Switzerland (Argentina) Winner
Belgium vs USA (USA) Fail

Last edited by alz (7/01/2014 5:34 pm)

6/26/2014 5:45 pm  #9

Also artie, maybe it's just me, but wouldn't you rather be in the 2g slot than 1g?

Brazil, France, Columbia are the other 1 seeds up there with Germany...

In our half its Netherlands,  Argentina, Belgium and Costa Rica....

The matches will be very difficult, and first is Belgium but I think the finals are much more achievable from our bracket than from the other....

Last edited by alz (6/26/2014 5:46 pm)

6/26/2014 7:43 pm  #10

alz wrote:

Also artie, maybe it's just me, but wouldn't you rather be in the 2g slot than 1g?

Brazil, France, Columbia are the other 1 seeds up there with Germany...

In our half its Netherlands,  Argentina, Belgium and Costa Rica....

The matches will be very difficult, and first is Belgium but I think the finals are much more achievable from our bracket than from the other....

Yeah, there was quite a bit of discussion on ESPN last night about how second place would be better in terms of the matchups. I think the U.S. would have to play Argentina in the quarterfinals, and that would be their toughest matchup. They can beat Belgium, and I think they could knock off Holland. The Dutch aren't as good as they looked in the first round.

6/26/2014 7:46 pm  #11

alz wrote:

Round two.

Brazil vs Chile (Brazil)
Columbia vs Uruguay (Columbia)
France vs Nigeria (France)
Germany vs Algeria (Germany)

Netherlands vs Mexico (Netherlands)
Costa Rica vs Greece (Costa Rica)
Argentina vs Switzerland (Argentina)
Belgium vs USA (USA)

Brazil
Colombia
France
Germany

Netherlands
Greece
Argentina
USA (why not?)

6/27/2014 8:47 am  #12

You're having the same thoughts I'm having. Let's see if the US can get beyond Belgium first. Switzerland could do us a solid and beat Argentina somehow, and I wouldn't be upset

6/27/2014 1:51 pm  #13

Detailed thoughts. 

Brazil vs Chile -- I don't know what you saw from Chile Artie, but I saw a very dangerous side. They were scary in how well they handled Spain. If there's any pick that I'm calling to watch for an upset, it's this one. If Chile bounces Brazil, I won't be shocked. I'll be mad I didn't call it, because I can definitely see it falling out that way.

Columbia vs Uruguay - Without Suarez, I don't see this really being close. Columbia has played well, and Uruguay is only still here because of Suarez. 

France vs Nigeria - No disrespect to Nigeria, but I don't see how they can win this game...

Germany vs Algeria - I know Germany has struggled with African opponents, but I don't see them losing this game under any circumstances outside giving up a PK and then losing two players to red cards... Highly unlikely. 

Netherlands vs Mexico - I would absolutely love an upset here, and Mexico has the defense and goalkeeping to do it. I'll be cheering for them, but I think it's a lot to ask of them.

Costa Rica vs Greece - Greece finished a resounding second in a group with Columbia, Japan, Ivory Coast. I'm not disrespecting their ability, but Costa Rica went through so much more, and I've seen Costa Rica hand the US it's ass when we travelled to play them.

Argentina vs Switzerland - I'll be cheering for Switzerland, but I don't think they can beat Argentina. I'm hoping they somehow get the game to a PK shootout and advance, mostly because I consider them easier for the US to get beyond than Argentina, but I'm calling Argentina. 

USA vs Belgium - I could simply be underestimating Belgium, which was the only team of consequence really in it's group, but I don't understand how we could lose after playing two (maybe three) teams that were more difficult sides like we did. Also Kompany is hurting from a groin injury, and Defour is out for a red card. Mix that with us getting everyone except maybe Altidore back and this looks favorable to me.

That said, the USA cannot underestimate this game,everything from the back to the midfield needs to be cleaner. Specifically Bradley's first touches. I know the field sucked, but it apparently only seemed to affect him and it broke down a lot of possession and chances for us against Germany. We also need to be safer on defending and clearing the ball from dangerous situations. Tim Howard has played great, but the one goal we gave up to Germany was a result of a poor punch during the initial save that should have went way farther to the sideline than it did, and he nearly allowed a goal in the Portugal match by mis-hitting a save and it ricocheted off the post and came straight back through the middle. Yes I'm being VERY picky, but for the US to go deep, we either need to get chances from the other team on similar mistakes, or eliminate our mistakes. Take no chances here, concede the corners, punch the ball 20 rows up, anything works. 

Now, I'm sure every team has a similar set of jitters they feel they need to eliminate as well, so this isn't a doom and gloom story. Ghana made two terrible mistakes that led to Portugal goals that got us through group yesterday. Anyway so that's basically the thoughts I'm having about all the matches. 

6/27/2014 3:13 pm  #14

Brazil over Chile - My thoughts are similar to yours. I still don't think Brazil is going to win the tournament, and an upset here wouldn't surprise me. Brazil has been relying too much on Neymar and the referee, and if either one is off form, they're in trouble.

Colombia over Uruguay - You could make an argument Colombia has been the best team in the tournament so far. Uruguay lost the one guy they can't afford to lose.

France over Nigeria - There is a way for Nigeria to win, but it involves the French remembering they're French and that they almost always underachieve in this tournament, usually because of some sort of off-field drama. I still like France to win this round because they have more talent.

Germany over Algeria - Germany just doesn't go out in the Round of 16. Not against Algeria, anyway.

Netherlands over Mexico - Both teams played better than they are in the first round. Robben has been sensational for 10 years. Ochoa has been phenomenal for two weeks. I'll go with longevity.

Greece over Costa Rica - Greece got a gift in that penalty kick that took them through the first round, something the rest of the field may end up rueing because they're going to be a tough out.

Argentina over Switzerland - I heard someone on ESPN FC ask "Where would Argentina be without Messi?" It doesn't matter. They have him, and even though they haven't looked great all the time, they should get by a Switzerland team that is better than a lot of people think. An upset would surprise me, but it wouldn't be like, say the Germans losing to Algeria.

USA over Belgium - Admittedly, this pick mostly has to do with my rooting interest. Belgium is solid, but not spectacular. They'll try to win this game 1-0. The U.S. needs to attack, attack, attack, and hope they can score on a counter or set piece. It's a good matchip for the Americans.

6/30/2014 8:14 am  #15

Greece was certainly a tough out, although Costa Rica played with 10 men for 50 minutes of that game, and Greece should have put them away. 

Brazil on the other hand managed to net just three penalty kicks, and somehow that was enough to get them through. That's almost criminal... Netting 3 of their first 4 wasn't enough for Greece to even let their 5th kicker line up... I don't see myself picking Brazil to win again at this point. I'll be praying the Swiss are able to knock out Argentina today. 

7/01/2014 5:35 pm  #16

Quarterfinals

Brazil vs Columbia (Columbia) Fail
France vs Germany (Germany) Winner

Costa Rica vs Netherlands (Netherlands) Winner
Argentina vs Belgium (Argentina) Winner

Last edited by alz (7/06/2014 3:47 pm)

7/06/2014 3:48 pm  #17

Semi finals
Brazil vs Germany (Germany) Winner
Netherlands vs Argentina (Netherlands) Fail

Last edited by alz (7/10/2014 7:51 am)

7/06/2014 8:50 pm  #18

I'm going to go with Germany v. Argentina in the finals. Brazil is less imposing without Neymar and Thiago Silva. Of the two, they might even miss Silva more, because Ozil is so adept at setting up the offense from the left side.

Di Maria is a big loss for Argentina, but I'm counting on van Persie to come up small when his team really needs him the most, again.

7/07/2014 7:36 am  #19

ha Artie. I had real difficulty deciding who I thought would win between Argentina and Netherlands. Pretty much a coin flip. 

They are missing Silva for sheer stupidity. That was the dumbest yellow card taken all tournament.... seriously silly play by him. 

7/10/2014 7:52 am  #20

3rd Place Match
Brazil vs Netherlands (Netherlands) Winner

World Cup Final
Argentina vs Germany (Germany) Winner

Last edited by alz (7/13/2014 5:11 pm)

7/10/2014 8:14 am  #21

I'm going against my intuition and picking Brazil and Argentina. Brazil can't play as badly as they did on Tuesday, and Germany can't play as well as they did on Tuesday.

7/10/2014 9:48 am  #22

If there's a team with any chance whatsoever of keeping Germany off the board, it's Argentina. I'll grant you that. I just can't see betting against Germany at this point against any team.

Brazil netherlands was a coin flip. I'll give you that, but saw too much bad from Brazil to think they can be in World Class form a few days after that debacle. Basically I guessed.

7/13/2014 5:15 pm  #23

Well... I picked 13/16 of the group winners right.

I picked 7/8 right on the round of 16
I picked 3/4 right on the quarterfinals
I picked 1/2 right on the semi-finals.
And 2/2 on the final and third place game.

Board footera