You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2010 1:44 pm  #1

Worst cover ever?

I just heard a version of "Bad Company" (the song by the band of the same name on the album of the same name) by a group apparently called "Five Finger Death Punch."
Why would anyone try Paul Rodgers? That's like some housepainter throwing a coat of primer over the Sistine Chapel.

9/09/2010 2:15 pm  #2

Re: Worst cover ever?

I just checked out a clip of it. Truly awful. I enjoy metal when it's done ironically or at least SEEMS ironic (Iron Maiden). This sludgey crap is just offensive.

9/09/2010 4:42 pm  #3

Did they attempt to cover the theme song, while desecrating the original film, in the remake of "3:10 to Yuma"?

9/09/2010 9:36 pm  #4

Mags wrote:

Did they attempt to cover the theme song, while desecrating the original film, in the remake of "3:10 to Yuma"?

I've never seen "3:10 to Yuma," but there are at least two different movies called "Bad Company" that I'm aware of. One is a buddy picture with, believe it or not, Anthony Hopkins and Chris Rock, and the other is a crime drama with Laurence Fishburne.

The "Bad Co." to which I referred is one of two answers to a musical trivia question: The name of the band, its first album, and the first song on Side 1 of all have the same name, i.e. - the song "Bad Company" is the opening song on Bad Co.'s first album, entitled "Bad Co."
Does anyone know the other?

9/09/2010 9:53 pm  #5

Black Sabbath.

Minor Threat also had a self-titled song.

9/09/2010 10:27 pm  #6

tkihshbt wrote:

Black Sabbath.

Damn. That one almost always wins a bar bet.

Minor Threat also had a self-titled song.

I'm not familiar with their work ...

9/09/2010 10:36 pm  #7

The first time I heard "Black Sabbath" (the song), I was probably about 15. Borrowed the LP from a friend. Sitting at home, in the dark, with my headphones on so my dad didn't catch me listening to music late at night. The song starts with a recorded version of a thunderstorm, goes into this spooky dirge of a guitar riff and then Ozzy starts wailing "Is this the end, my friend? Satan coming around the bend ... Oh god, no, no please help me ..."
I was so scared I practically soiled myself.

9/09/2010 10:40 pm  #8

The first time I heard Black Sabbath I was probably 11 or 12. I think me and my friends thought they were a joke.

Minor Threat was a part of the DC hardcore scene in the early 80s.

9/09/2010 11:02 pm  #9

tkihshbt wrote:

The first time I heard Black Sabbath I was probably 11 or 12. I think me and my friends thought they were a joke.

I never was a big Sabbath fan. "Iron Man" bores me, and if "Paranoid" comes on the radio, I switch it off. I like "Children of the Grave," "War Pigs" and a couple of their other lesser hits, but I don't think I bought an album until "Heaven and Hell," after Ozzy had left the band. I liked Dio's first two albums a lot, but it wasn't the same after Vivian Campbell left the band. It's funny to see him (Campbell) playing rhythm guitar for Def Leppard these days. It's like having Tim Lincecum on your pitching staff and using him as a 7th inning setup man.

9/10/2010 10:53 am  #10

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

9/10/2010 2:33 pm  #11

artie_fufkin wrote:

I just heard a version of "Bad Company" (the song by the band of the same name on the album of the same name) by a group apparently called "Five Finger Death Punch."
Why would anyone try Paul Rodgers? That's like some housepainter throwing a coat of primer over the Sistine Chapel.

I like that cover.  They made a boring song interesting.  Another good cover is Careless Whisper by Seether.  I guess it was a George Michael song...whoever that is.

Last edited by APRTW (9/10/2010 2:36 pm)

9/10/2010 7:46 pm  #12

artie_fufkin wrote:

Does anyone know the other?

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

9/10/2010 7:53 pm  #13

artie_fufkin wrote:

It's like having Tim Lincecum on your pitching staff and using him as a 7th inning setup man.

A strange analogy, which I am finding difficult to compute: it's like having a middling pitcher who couldn't wash Carp or Wainwright's jockstrap?

9/12/2010 9:32 pm  #14

artie_fufkin wrote:

The first time I heard "Black Sabbath" (the song), I was probably about 15. Borrowed the LP from a friend. Sitting at home, in the dark, with my headphones on so my dad didn't catch me listening to music late at night. The song starts with a recorded version of a thunderstorm, goes into this spooky dirge of a guitar riff and then Ozzy starts wailing "Is this the end, my friend? Satan coming around the bend ... Oh god, no, no please help me ..."
I was so scared I practically soiled myself.

First time I heard it was at a friend's house, after I was already thoroughly steeped in the Paranoid material.  Thought it sounded pretty cool, and I definitely could see your reaction under other circumstances.

Here's a Black Sabbath both you and your mother-in-law might like:
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-09-02/entertainment/23985038_1_jewish-artists-idelsohn-society-black-jewish-relations

9/13/2010 9:01 am  #15

"Billie Holiday swinging "My Yiddishe Momme," Cab Calloway wailing on "Utt Da Zay" and Cannonball Adderley's searing "Sabbath Prayer" from "Fiddler on the Roof."

JV, have you ever seen "A Mighty Wind?" Specifically, the part with Ed Begley Jr.'s character trying to speak Yiddish?

As for my MIL's concerns, the one thing I'll have to give her is she's not prejudical when it comes to race. She assumes anyone who isn't born Jewish is stupid, regardless of the color of their skin.

9/13/2010 4:58 pm  #16

artie_fufkin wrote:

"JV, have you ever seen "A Mighty Wind?" Specifically, the part with Ed Begley Jr.'s character trying to speak Yiddish?

I saw it, but only once, so I remember zip.  I have to see and hear things I like over and over and over.  That probably explains why I'm never bored and am satisfied with the "Ted Kaczynski" cable plan.

Board footera