You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2014 9:24 am  #1

I'd love to see an NHL wide stat here.

Does anyone know how I'd catch a record stat per year in NHL games where the road team played a road game the night before?

I've always hated this about the NHL schedule. 

Blues play Saturday in Calgary, then Sunday in Anaheim (Who played Friday at home, had a day of rest Saturday, and then Sunday at home). While I understand a schedule with that many teams playing that many games is difficult, I'm curious how many teams actually win games when they are scheduled like that. 

The Blues lost the second game 3-0, and I don't know when they got their first shot on goal but it was at least 6 1/2 minutes into the game, and they finished the first period with 4. No legs whatsoever really. No pressure, nothing. 

I know every team has to do things like this, but seriously. This is almost like the NHL just lining you up to take a loss, and makes about as much sense as an NFL team playing on Monday night football, then having to travel across the country for a game Thursday night...

10/20/2014 10:07 am  #2

Re: I'd love to see an NHL wide stat here.

It must be doubly hard when the second game is at night on the west coast.

10/20/2014 10:21 am  #3

Calgary is still West coast-ish, but 1500 miles away.

I'm just saying, I'm sure every team has to deal with this, but if that's the case, why do it? Seems like you get "lesser hockey" from these games. 

10/20/2014 11:07 am  #4

Yeah, I remember the Bruins had one of those road back-to-backs a couple of years ago, the first night in Ottawa and the second night in Pittsburgh, of all places. The Bruins led, 2-0, after the first period, and as the game went along, you could see their legs start to get heavier. The Penguins scored three times in the last seven minutes and ended up winning.
So I agree with your point. What would have been a sensational game between two Stanley Cup contenders ended up being less than sensational. The Pittsburgh fans probably didn't care because their team ended up winning, but the scheduling could have been more effective.

10/20/2014 1:50 pm  #5

I'm just saying, if you can't figure out how to give every team a day off between games, okay cool. Make sure both people have to play and travel before meeting then. 

So Boston plays Ottawa, and Pittsburgh is on the road against Carolina. They both come back to Pittsburgh and play the next day. It should still be a clash of teams on relatively equal footing.

Board footera