You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2015 6:37 pm  #26

Re: Women's World Cup.

Serious question. The U.S. Women have been fairly dominant in the brief history of the Women's World Cup. Is that because American women were ahead of the world when the event began, or is this what it would look like on the men's side of the World Cup is American men didn't have other athletic options like football and baseball that generally aren't played in other countries?

7/05/2015 7:45 pm  #27

forsberg_us wrote:

Serious question. The U.S. Women have been fairly dominant in the brief history of the Women's World Cup. Is that because American women were ahead of the world when the event began, or is this what it would look like on the men's side of the World Cup is American men didn't have other athletic options like football and baseball that generally aren't played in other countries?

The American collegiate soccer system has always been a good pipeline for the U.S. Women's National Team (and other countries' teams), but I'm of the belief that if Kobe Bryant and LeBron James had been attacking midfielders on the USMNT for the past decade instead of in the NBA, the rest of the globe would be playing for second place in World Cups.

7/05/2015 7:55 pm  #28

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

The American collegiate soccer system has always been a good pipeline for the U.S. Women's National Team (and other countries' teams), but I'm of the belief that if Kobe Bryant and LeBron James had been attacking midfielders on the USMNT for the past decade instead of in the NBA, the rest of the globe would be playing for second place in World Cups.

I was picturing more along the lines of someone like Adrian Peterson or a young Randy Moss. Could you picture someone like Calvin Johnson at 6'5, 4.3 speed and a 40 inch vertical playing in the middle on corner kicks?

7/05/2015 8:18 pm  #29

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

I was picturing more along the lines of someone like Adrian Peterson or a young Randy Moss. Could you picture someone like Calvin Johnson at 6'5, 4.3 speed and a 40 inch vertical playing in the middle on corner kicks?

Or Ed Reed playing central defense.
How about Kevin Garnett playing goalkeeper? Not only would he be able to cover alomst the entire net, no one from the other team would have the courage to go into the penalty area.

7/06/2015 8:31 am  #30

artie_fufkin wrote:

I've only been watching soccer regularly for about a dozen years, but I've only once ever seen a team not win a game it was leading by four goals in the first half.

A great win by the ladies yesterday. I had to take my daughter home so I had it on DVR and was catching up. Carli Lloyd scored 3 and had 2 other very good chances that she could have put in. That game was dominant.

For the men, the only thing I'll add is that the US is at a severe disadvantage, because we have other options. Neymar was found when he was like 6 years old kicking around on a street. Some agent saw him, took him back to his parents, where they agreed to ship the little guy off to "Soccer School", where he learned the basics of education and got a figurative "double doctorate" in futbol. If American parents turned their children over to institutions like this, they'd almost certainly be looked at as jackasses. 

Neymar now makes about 25 million a season, and I'm sure everyone would agree it was the right move, but for every "Neymar" there's about 100 other kids who just never made it to the great stage. 

7/06/2015 9:08 am  #31

alz wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

I've only been watching soccer regularly for about a dozen years, but I've only once ever seen a team not win a game it was leading by four goals in the first half.

A great win by the ladies yesterday. I had to take my daughter home so I had it on DVR and was catching up. Carli Lloyd scored 3 and had 2 other very good chances that she could have put in. That game was dominant.

For the men, the only thing I'll add is that the US is at a severe disadvantage, because we have other options. Neymar was found when he was like 6 years old kicking around on a street. Some agent saw him, took him back to his parents, where they agreed to ship the little guy off to "Soccer School", where he learned the basics of education and got a figurative "double doctorate" in futbol. If American parents turned their children over to institutions like this, they'd almost certainly be looked at as jackasses. 

Neymar now makes about 25 million a season, and I'm sure everyone would agree it was the right move, but for every "Neymar" there's about 100 other kids who just never made it to the great stage. 

As a society, we aren't far from this.  Maybe not at age 6, but the US now has "schools" like the IMG Academy which is basically exactly what you're talking about.  Kids can get a degree in sports and a minor in education.  In 2015, the "school" had 3 of the top 250 college football recruits in the country.  In 2016, they have 8 of the top 250.

https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1745431 
http://www.imgacademy.com/private-school 

Last edited by forsberg_us (7/06/2015 9:14 am)

7/06/2015 9:20 am  #32

IMG, is that the same IMG that I'm thinking of (Sports Agents)? 

Yikes, you're right. We aren't far from what's going on in other countries. I'm curious how the finances work for this IMG Academy. In Brazil they will take you as far as you can go, and you have to give them back a percentage for some amount of time. I believe they even pay your family while you're going there which is 100% "free". Like I said, they get theirs when you make professional money.

7/06/2015 10:07 am  #33

It will be interesting to see how much traction this gives to the women's version of the sport. I'm already hearing and reading that women's soccer has passed the point of no return, but it's the same thing people were saying in 1999 and if that U.S. team couldn't help sustain an American professional league, I have my doubts this one will.
You look at the demographic in the stands and it's teenage girls and their parents. That's nice, but teenage girls have a history of moving on to the next thing very quickly. And a lot of this has to do with Americans rooting for the American team to do well in an international competition. Carly Lloyd and Julie Johnston may have increased their respective profiles, but ask people who just finished watching the tournament to name five players from the other teams, and they can't. How many people would have watched a Japan-Germany final yesterday? Would the stadium have even sold out?

7/06/2015 11:00 am  #34

alz wrote:

IMG, is that the same IMG that I'm thinking of (Sports Agents)?  

Yep, same group

Board footera