You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2016 3:01 pm  #1

The NFL in Los Angeles

I'm almost certain of two things:
1. Kroenke burned his last bridge in St. Louis. The Rams are going to end up back in Los Angeles.
2. No matter what else happens, the Raiders are going to get fucked. With a elephant's pecker. They're either going to end up as Kroenke's tenant in Inglewood, or worse, move to Santa Clara and continue to be the Bay Area's red-headed stepchild, or - worse still - they're going back to that toilet in Oakland.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (1/12/2016 3:01 pm)

1/12/2016 3:18 pm  #2

Re: The NFL in Los Angeles

Personally. I'd love to have the Raiders out here  

I know that will never happen, but seriously, Raider Nation is as die hard as Cardinal Nation. The new stadium is outdoors and on the river from looking at the plans. A good time would be had by all!

1/12/2016 5:51 pm  #3

I think 2 teams in la is stupid.  I know la can probably support it but why cheat stl out of a team so la can have 2. 

If stl does get another football team I wonder how quick the fan base will take to them.  It seems like it would be easier to go from no team to supporting a team then it would for a new team to move in and be supported. 

Overall I dislike teams moving.  I mean the st louis radiers?  Really?

1/12/2016 10:28 pm  #4

There is no Raider Nation anymore, Alz. Oh, there are a couple thousand idiots who dress up in their Halloween costumes and go to the stadium eight Sundays a year so they can try to get on television, but the people who started rooting for the Raiders because they were drawn to an organization that could give a middle finger to the establishment and get away with it are gone, driven away by three decades of a combination of an owner who became more concerned with winning in a court room than on a football field, and a vendetta first imposed by a commissioner whose ego far exceeded his intelligence and has been continued by his two equally-inept successors.
The best thing for Mark Davis to do after yet another all-too-predictable anal rape today is fold the team and save their fans - the ones who remember when the phrase "Commitment to Exellence" was a mantra instead of a punchline - from further humiliation.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (1/12/2016 10:48 pm)

1/13/2016 9:36 am  #5

Is it just me or does Stan Kroenke REALLY REALLY resemble Uncle Rico from Napolean Dynamite?

1/13/2016 10:04 am  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

There is no Raider Nation anymore, Alz. Oh, there are a couple thousand idiots who dress up in their Halloween costumes and go to the stadium eight Sundays a year so they can try to get on television, but the people who started rooting for the Raiders because they were drawn to an organization that could give a middle finger to the establishment and get away with it are gone, driven away by three decades of a combination of an owner who became more concerned with winning in a court room than on a football field, and a vendetta first imposed by a commissioner whose ego far exceeded his intelligence and has been continued by his two equally-inept successors.
The best thing for Mark Davis to do after yet another all-too-predictable anal rape today is fold the team and save their fans - the ones who remember when the phrase "Commitment to Exellence" was a mantra instead of a punchline - from further humiliation.

Speaking as a former Raiders fan who now considers the NFL just one more overhyped entertainment option - well said.

1/13/2016 10:39 am  #7

JV wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Speaking as a former Raiders fan who now considers the NFL just one more overhyped entertainment option - well said.

Well for me... And anyone in here who's ever had to listen to my barbaric bullshit could have probably called this.... The NFL is just too soft. In an effort to keep players safe, they have taken out the heart of the game which made it so damned compelling to me. An immaculate defense stuffing an exceptional offense. A perfect pass blowing up perfect coverage. A safety equalizing a perfect pass with a hit that knocks a receiver out of his cleats.... Today's game can be summed up by the following.

Ryan Tannehill just followed up his 4000 yard season with a 4200 yard season. The Dolphins went 14-18 over those two seasons.

It's too easy to stack stats, there's no balance to offense/defense anymore. 

I haven't been a fan for about 5 years or so now, I get phone updates (1 per game) when Miami plays, and I wish them well, but I'm not watching football. Unless it's the Super Bowl.... Because the ads are hilarious.

1/13/2016 10:41 am  #8

I think it's amazing how NFL owners are still sticking it to Al Davis, years after his death.

1/13/2016 3:05 pm  #9

I'm telling you, Stan Kroenke looks like Uncle Rico....

1/13/2016 6:05 pm  #10

Yeah, but I bet Kroenke could never throw a pigskin a quarter-mile.

1/13/2016 9:20 pm  #11

I was pretty pissed about this whole thing yesterday and this morning, but I've pretty much gotten over it today. Fact of the matter is, St. Louis took the Rams from LA. Tough to be pissed they went back.

The team and the league handled the situation poorly, and that's the only thing I'm pissed about now. The league could have simply told St. Louis it wasn't going to block the move. The city spent millions developing a plan for a new stadium, they identified the land, fought a couple of legal battles and jumped through a ton of political hoops both state-wide and locally because the city was told they had a shot to keep the team if they came up with a plan. Turns out the NFL never intended to block the move and likely just assumed the city wouldn't be able to develop the plan.

From the team, some of the dishonesty was to be expected. They weren't going to tell the fans 5 years ago that the team would move. But the way they trashed the city on the way out was unnecessary. That left a bad taste that will last a while.

St. Louis isn't getting a new team, and it probably shouldn't. The way the NFL is now, St. Louis can't afford to take the plunge on a new team. They were looking at building a $1.1B stadium. Kroenke is building a $2B stadium in LA. The St. Louis stadium would have been 2nd tier within 10 years.

I've been thinking about it, and I may go back to rooting for the Cardinals. They were here when I was a kid, and it's pretty appealing to root for a team that will play LA twice a year.

It took quite a bit to make me hate someone more than the Patriots. Kroenke accomplished the impossible.

1/14/2016 12:04 am  #12

tkihshbt wrote:

I think it's amazing how NFL owners are still sticking it to Al Davis, years after his death.

The only thing that really bothered me was reading about how the others owners went out of their way to make sure Dean Spanos has a soft landing here.
Who the fuck is Dean Spanos? The son of a billionaire who has probably never lifted anything heavier than a golf club in his entire life. If it wasn't for people like Al Davis believing in the old AFL, there wouldn't have been a football team in San Diego for his daddy to buy and give to him as a plaything.

1/14/2016 12:09 pm  #13

artie_fufkin wrote:

tkihshbt wrote:

The only thing that really bothered me was reading about how the others owners went out of their way to make sure Dean Spanos has a soft landing here.
Who the fuck is Dean Spanos? The son of a billionaire who has probably never lifted anything heavier than a golf club in his entire life. If it wasn't for people like Al Davis believing in the old AFL, there wouldn't have been a football team in San Diego for his daddy to buy and give to him as a plaything.

But in the end, they kind of screwed over Spanos. He was supposed to be in line for a stadium and the most they did for him was a) give him another opportunity at San Diego and b) being Stan Kroenke's tenant. This definitely wasn't the optimal outcome for Spanos, who I was rooting for only because I needed anti-Kroenke sentiment to be the biggest influence.

I don't understand what Mark Davis is going to do, but he needs to sell the team. The situation in Oakland isn't getting any better and the NFL left him hanging. I truly believe one of the reasons the owners felt so comfortable going with Kroenke was because they wanted to force Davis's hand down the road. If there's anything the NFL hates, it is Al Davis. And if they can finally get rid of Davis's legacy once and for all, that's a huge win.

1/14/2016 12:15 pm  #14

http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/14091/the-late-al-davis-wanted-to-build-on-rams-inglewood-site-but-couldnt-agree-with-nfl

To his dying day in 2011, Al Davis insisted the Los Angeles market belonged to the Raiders. Silver and Black conspiracy theorists will have a field day with this one. Jan. 12, 2016 is the day the son paid for the father’s perceived sins ... the long-lasting feuds and court cases with then-NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle.“I really believe that Pete wanted the Los Angeles franchise for himself, yeah,” the elder Davis told Ice Cube in his last one-on-one interview for the ESPN Films 30 for 30 documentary “Straight Outta L.A.”

The NFL is worse off without having an Al Davis. Yes, he was a maniac and ran the team in an old-fashioned way, but the NFL doesn't have a single owner who will call the league out when it oversteps its bounds.

Last edited by tkihshbt (1/14/2016 12:15 pm)

1/14/2016 12:56 pm  #15

"The NFL is worse off without having an Al Davis. Yes, he was a maniac and ran the team in an old-fashioned way"

In his prime, he was the best football mind on the planet. He got so caught up in his feud with Rozelle that he stopped caring about the product on the field, and by the time he got back to Oakland all the good people who he had around him had either left or were leaving, and then there was no one left to tell him "Al, signing Javon Walker to a 6-year, $55 million contract probably isn't your best idea" or "Let's not use the 7th overall pick on Darrius Heyward-Bey."

1/14/2016 1:03 pm  #16

I posted this on Facebook yesterday. Some of it duplicates what I wrote here the other night, but I felt the need for a wider-ranging catharsis:

Dear Mark,
I write to you today on behalf of Raider Nation … or what used to be Raider Nation. Those idiots who dress up in Halloween costumes and go to your stadium eight Sundays a year so they can try to get on TV don't represent me, you, your father's spirit or anyone else who was drawn to the Raiders because they liked the notion there was a football team that could give a middle finger to the establishment and get away with it.
I'm asking you … pleading, really … to sell the team. There's no place in the NFL for guys like your father anymore. And we'll get to that in a bit.
But you have to promise to sell to someone who will move the team from Oakland. San Antonio is a nice city, I hear. Or Las Vegas. It's the height of hypocrisy there's no professional sports franchise in Vegas, when all the leagues are jumping into the arms of gambling sites like Draft Kings and Fan Duel. Or St. Louis. Those nice Midwestern people deserved better than a fraud like Stan Kroenke. Or Fargo. I don't care.
And the new owner has to promise to retire the Raiders name forever. The Raiders haven't really been the Raiders for a long time, anyway. The decline probably started when your father traded Snake to Houston for Dan Pastorini. Snake was the only quarterback you wanted to have the ball when you needed a touchdown in the last two minutes. Pastorini was a guy who could throw a football through the hole of a tire from 50 yards during practice, but couldn't hit a wide open Ken Burrough on 3rd-and-10 when it mattered.
I suppose your dad's fatal mistake, ironically, was moving to Los Angeles. That soulless, gelatinous mound of a city was never going to understand or appreciate the Raiders. Sure, Plunkett and the best tandem of cornerbacks in the history of the league won you another championship in L.A., but it wasn't going to last. Rozelle was always going to win. His ego and capacity for vengeance far exceeded his intelligence and vision. No matter how many times your dad beat the league in court, Rozelle was ultimately going to bury him. That should have been clear when Rozelle wouldn't let him trade up with the Bears to draft Elway (how much fun would THAT have been?) in '83.
And your dad should have known it wasn't going to get any better when Rozelle was succeeded by a mannequin who measured the success of the league only by the width of his wallet. Now the league is run by an anvil-headed dolt who can't decide between paper and plastic at the grocery store.
Goodell and those 31 other people in that room last night weren't there to help you. They're not football guys, like your dad was. They made their money selling cardboard boxes or electronic billboards or wallpaper to old ladies. They only see a trough of cash in the second-largest market in the country.
So, please, Mark, sell the team. On behalf of all of us who remember when "Commitment to Excellence" was a mantra and not a punchline.
Oh, and as an aside, you might want to use all the dough you're going to get to pay more than $8 for your next haircut. The Bucky Larson look didn't work, even for Bucky Larson.

Board footera