You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2016 7:39 pm  #1

Joe Garagiola

As a kid, after we got crazy rich enough to set up an old black & white TV in our basement, I would retreat there on bot Saturday afternoons to watch Joe and Curt Gowdy do the Game Of The Week. *BOINK*, or as Curt might have pronounced it - Binko.

Last edited by JV (3/24/2016 4:40 pm)

3/23/2016 8:17 pm  #2

Re: Joe Garagiola

JV wrote:

As a kid, after we got crazy rich enough to set up an old black & white TV in our basement, I would retreat there on bot Saturday afternoons to watch Joe and Curt Gowdy do the Game Of The Week. *blink*, or as Curt might have pronounced it - Binko.

Curt Gowdy lived across the street from my Babe Ruth coach, who used to say he was the best neighbor because he was almost never home.
I saw Joe Garagiola at what was then the BOB in Phoenix when the Cardinals played the Diamondbacks in 2004. People would yell things at him in a friendly way like "Hey Joe!" and he'd wave without looking at them. Someone came up and asked him for an autograph and he looked at the person like he was a bum asking for spare change. He signed, but he was annoyed. He was an old man and might have been having a bad day for all I know, but the persona I saw was a lot different than the one I used to listen to every Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (3/23/2016 8:18 pm)

3/23/2016 8:24 pm  #3

And I remember when my parents splurged for a second TV, a color model that meant I could use the old black and white, and more importantly I didn't have to watch what they watched. And if I was quiet enough, I could stay up late and watch Saturday Night Live.

3/24/2016 9:24 am  #4

artie_fufkin wrote:

And I remember when my parents splurged for a second TV, a color model that meant I could use the old black and white, and more importantly I didn't have to watch what they watched. And if I was quiet enough, I could stay up late and watch Saturday Night Live.

LOL.  I don't even bother trying to tell my kids about black and white television or back in the days when we only had 5 channels (6 if you positioned the antennae just right).  It's easy enough to make their heads explode if I talk about not having cell phones or the internet.

3/24/2016 11:36 am  #5

We have Comcast's new Xfinity system that has a voice command in the remote control, i.e. - if you press a button and say "Boston Bruins," it will change the channel to the Bruins game, if one is on.
It tried saying "bottle of Corona" into the damn thing, but no one brought me a beer.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (3/24/2016 11:37 am)

3/24/2016 1:27 pm  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

We have Comcast's new Xfinity system that has a voice command in the remote control, i.e. - if you press a button and say "Boston Bruins," it will change the channel to the Bruins game, if one is on.
It tried saying "bottle of Corona" into the damn thing, but no one brought me a beer.

A few months ago, we got a new sectional couch for our living room.  It has 2 motorized recliners built into it that are divided by and arm rest and drink holders.  The drink holders have "lights" in them, I assume so you can find your drink in the dark.

The first night I sat in one of the recliners, I turned the light on.  When Michele asked what I was doing I said I assumed it was the "service" light, and was waiting for her to take my order.

It didn't work either, and I've not used the "service" light since.

3/24/2016 1:33 pm  #7

artie_fufkin wrote:

Back in the 50's we tried to make out the shadowy figures on our "snowy" black and white TV. And you could actually hear a gravely, muffled sound . We were absolutely giddy with this technology .

3/24/2016 2:00 pm  #8

artie_fufkin wrote:

As I mentioned I'm a gamer, and a friend of mine who lives in Philly will be playing with us and you can hear him drinking something on the rocks all the time... That's not very funny. What is funny however is when he texts his live in girlfriend "Come quick, it's an emergency" and when she arrives 45 seconds later, he asks her for a refill....

3/24/2016 2:18 pm  #9

don.rob11 wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Back in the 50's we tried to make out the shadowy figures on our "snowy" black and white TV. And you could actually hear a gravely, muffled sound . We were absolutely giddy with this technology .

This actually reminds me of an exercise I used to do with the back of the cable tv box, usually after 10 pm, and usually while tuned to Cinemax. Every so often you could get a .37 second glimpse of a nipple. For a 15 year old boy, it was a glorious .37 seconds.

3/24/2016 3:10 pm  #10

in 1986 we had the old massive satellite dish, before they had channel blockers. You just had to scan positions and whatnot and almost anything came in! I found Playboy TV, I was in 6th grade, and that was like having 200 Christmas' rolled into one. Until one morning my mother questioned me about it. "Were you watching TV last night?"
No mom, why?
"Because it was tuned into a very inappropriate station!"
Oh. No I didn't know we got anything really other than Nickelodean. What was it? 
"Hmm never mind!"

Then she went and chewed out my step-dad. I felt guilty about it, but no way in hell I was coming clean on that!

3/24/2016 5:44 pm  #11

alz wrote:

in 1986 we had the old massive satellite dish, before they had channel blockers. You just had to scan positions and whatnot and almost anything came in! I found Playboy TV, I was in 6th grade, and that was like having 200 Christmas' rolled into one. Until one morning my mother questioned me about it. "Were you watching TV last night?"
No mom, why?
"Because it was tuned into a very inappropriate station!"
Oh. No I didn't know we got anything really other than Nickelodean. What was it? 
"Hmm never mind!"

Then she went and chewed out my step-dad. I felt guilty about it, but no way in hell I was coming clean on that!

This may echo Fors' post but back in the day, those premium channels like HBO and the Playboy Channel (which was much tamer than it is now) came scrambled, and in order to unscramble them, you had to pay a monthly fee. But, if you were a teenager and really desperate, you could watch the scrambled version of Playboy and occasionally see a boob. If you were really lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of pubic hair.

Board footera