You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2017 8:36 pm  #1

Artie's 2017-2018 Off-season predictions

"As long as the money flows in , I see them doing nothing"

My predictions for the off-season:
There will be a lot of early noise about them acquiring Giancarlo Stanton, but the deal will fall through, because - according to an article in the P-D, written by Jeff Gordon - the Marlins' asked for too many prospects who can help the Memphis Redbirds win another coveted Pacific Coast League championship in 2018.
The conversation will then turn to J.D. Martinez, who eventually signs with Yankees. At his introductory press conference, Martinez claims he signed with the Yankees because, and I quote, "the contract the Yankees offered was much, much, much more lucrative than what the Cardinals offered." There is then an article in the P-D - written by Jeff Gordon - claiming Martinez would have been a defensive liability in right field anyway.
During the winter meetings, the Cardinals are in "serious discussions" with Carlos Gonzalez's agent about signing a free agent contract, but the deal falls through and he ends up going to the Red Sox. Later, there is an article in the P-D, written by Jeff Gordon, claiming the Cardinals had concerns about his home/road splits and backed off because Cargo was deemed to be "a Coors Field hitter." 
The Cardinals fail to make a viable offer to Lynn and he signs with the Brewers. After he leaves, there will be an article in the P-D, written by Jeff Gordon, about how Lynn really never fit in with the other players in the Cardinals' clubhouse because he was "too competitive."
Seung hwan-Oh signs with the Dodgers and becomes a lights-out eighth inning set-up man in front of Kenley Jansen. About mid-season 2018, there will be an article in the P-D, written by Jeff Gordon, about how Oh's inability to speak fluent English was a constant distraction in the clubhouse while he was in St. Louis.
They will be "in discussions" with Wade Davis, but he ends up going back to the Cubs. The Cardinals end up re-signing Juan Nicasio, anoint him as the closer and add no other relief pitching. There will be an article in the P-D, written by Jeff Gordon, claiming the Cardinals' bullpen will be a strength in 2018 because Brett Cecil is bound to have a better year.
On April 5, 2018, an opening day crowd of around 45,000 - all clad in Cardinals' replica game jerseys at $119 each - show up to watch Adam Wainwright take the mound against the Arizona Diamondbacks, amid much pomp, circumstance and $9 cans of Bud Light. Wainwright fails to get out of the third inning and the Dbacks prevail, 10-1, behind three extra base hits by Paul Goldschmidt, including a 455-foot, 3-run homer off an 86 mph Wainwright fastball in the first inning. The Cardinals' only run is provided by Matt Carpenter, who leads off the bottom of the first inning with a solo homer, but Zack Greinke holds St. Louis to three hits over seven otherwise shutout innings. The Cardinals do load the bases with no one out in the eighth, but Carpenter, who gamely battled back from an 0-2 count to draw a leadoff walk - is forced out at home on a ball hit by Paul DeJong off the fence in left field that ends up being scored a fielder's choice - and Molina then grounds into an inning-ending double play. Randal Grichuk starts in right field and goes 0-for-4 with four strikeouts, all swinging on breaking pitches in the dirt off the outside corner of the plate. Manager Mike Matheny attributes Grichuk's ineffectiveness to "opening day jitters."

Board footera