You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2018 4:44 pm  #1

Well this isn't good ...

10/17/2018 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Well this isn't good ...

😂😂😂

10/17/2018 7:54 pm  #3

I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of football to make a proper assessment of NFL coaches, but i've watched three games so far and Gruden has seemed overmatched in all three, even by Hue Jackson. 
And I don't know who the Raiders are going to end up with from their first round picks from the Bears, but trading Khalil Mack may end up being the worst personnel move in the history of the franchise. And this is the same team that drafted JaMarcus Russell with the first overall pick.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (10/17/2018 7:55 pm)

10/17/2018 9:17 pm  #4

As a Raiders fan, you probably heard this, but I was watching one of the highlight shows after maybe Week 1 or 2 and Gruden was complaining about the lack of a pass rush. Gee, if only the team had someone who could get to the QB when you took over as coach.

10/18/2018 7:56 am  #5

forsberg_us wrote:

As a Raiders fan, you probably heard this, but I was watching one of the highlight shows after maybe Week 1 or 2 and Gruden was complaining about the lack of a pass rush. Gee, if only the team had someone who could get to the QB when you took over as coach.

I believe when a defensive player tackles the opposing quarterback behind the line of scrimmage, it's referred to as a "sack." I only know this because I've seen other teams do this to Derek Carr. 

10/18/2018 8:03 am  #6

artie_fufkin wrote:

I don't know enough about the Xs and Os of football to make a proper assessment of NFL coaches, but i've watched three games so far and Gruden has seemed overmatched in all three, even by Hue Jackson. 
And I don't know who the Raiders are going to end up with from their first round picks from the Bears, but trading Khalil Mack may end up being the worst personnel move in the history of the franchise. And this is the same team that drafted JaMarcus Russell with the first overall pick.

idk why everyone thought he was some great coach just laying back.  he is a .500 coach who won a super bowl 15 years ago.

10/18/2018 8:46 am  #7

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

idk why everyone thought he was some great coach just laying back. he is a .500 coach who won a super bowl 15 years ago.

He took the Raiders to the playoffs in 2000 and 2001, which taking into account the utter haplessness of the franchise for the past 25 years, amounts to a dynasty. 
My knee jerk reaction when Gruden was hired was that I was thrilled, but the sport has apparently moved on without him. I started getting worried when he cut Marquette King, who was arguably the best punter in the league for the two previous seasons. Very few of his other personnel moves have made much sense. It would be nice, after all these years, if the Raiders drafted or signed a middle/inside linebacker who can actually tackle an opposing player. The last player they had at that position who was any good was Matt Millen.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (10/18/2018 8:47 am)

10/18/2018 9:59 am  #8

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

idk why everyone thought he was some great coach just laying back. he is a .500 coach who won a super bowl 15 years ago.

For basically the same reasons people in St. Louis thought Jeff Fisher (who was a .500 coach who hadn't won a Supre Bowl) was a great hire.

Last edited by forsberg_us (10/18/2018 10:00 am)

10/18/2018 10:01 am  #9

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

For basically the same reasons people in St. Louis thought Jeff Fisher (who was a .500 coach who hadn't won a Supre Bowl) was a great hire.

he was still relevant at the time.

10/18/2018 1:55 pm  #10

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

he was still relevant at the time.

Fisher had coached more recently, but I’m not sure he was more relevant. For some reason people seemed to think Gruden was some QB guru because he’s do a pre-draft special with a couple of highly regarded college QBs, break down film and make his “Chucky” face.

I can’t believe the Raiders gave him a 10 year contract. Yikes.

10/18/2018 7:07 pm  #11

"I can’t believe the Raiders gave him a 10 year contract. Yikes."

At $10 million per. The only good thing is that money doesn't count against the salary cap.
I used to say the only thing Mark Davis has going for him is he's smart enough to know he doesn't know anything about football. But he was just too enamored of Gruden, so he made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

10/19/2018 1:36 am  #12

other then belichick, who was the last coach to last 10 years on the same team?  im sure there are obvious answers im over looking but my point is it is clearly retarded to think a coach that hasnt coached in 15 years will be a good coach for a decade, especislly when it is such a rarity anyway.

10/19/2018 8:58 am  #13

Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati has to be there or really close. Beyond that, the one who comes to mind is Fisher in Tennessee.

It also feels like Tomlin and John Harbaugh have been around for a while too.

Board footera