You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2011 2:55 pm  #1

Car insurance.

So I got married last july, we bought a new car, and I told my insurance. They wanted my wife's IL driver's license. This is a problem. Wife is military and had a CA license, so she's trying for a name change, new Soc Sec Card and then going to DMV. Took a while for that to happen, and by that time (5 weeks ago it was completed), I'd honestly forgotten to tell the Ins place.

So after 7 years with no tickets no accidents and more importantly no claims, I get the "We're not renewing you. Have a nice day. Your policy ends on 5/11/2011." letter.

So. I get a quote from USAA for extending her car insurance. Total bill? 25.00 more than we were paying for her's, and far less than the 61.00 I was paying on my own.

So, since I'm a fucking asshole. I called, cancelled and demanded my 4.00 refund check. I was completely condescending with the lady, and told her we had my wife's license, but forgot to report it. She wanted to keep me then. I closed with "No, you're rude, overpriced, and I have no desire to give you a dime or recommend you to anyone. Cut my check, goodbye. <Click>".

I got 4.00 cash money coming my way baby!!!

3/07/2011 4:27 pm  #2

Re: Car insurance.

Your inssurance should go down when you get married.

3/07/2011 4:42 pm  #3

alz wrote:

So I got married last july, we bought a new car, and I told my insurance. They wanted my wife's IL driver's license. This is a problem. Wife is military and had a CA license, so she's trying for a name change, new Soc Sec Card and then going to DMV. Took a while for that to happen, and by that time (5 weeks ago it was completed), I'd honestly forgotten to tell the Ins place.

So after 7 years with no tickets no accidents and more importantly no claims, I get the "We're not renewing you. Have a nice day. Your policy ends on 5/11/2011." letter.

So. I get a quote from USAA for extending her car insurance. Total bill? 25.00 more than we were paying for her's, and far less than the 61.00 I was paying on my own.

So, since I'm a fucking asshole. I called, cancelled and demanded my 4.00 refund check. I was completely condescending with the lady, and told her we had my wife's license, but forgot to report it. She wanted to keep me then. I closed with "No, you're rude, overpriced, and I have no desire to give you a dime or recommend you to anyone. Cut my check, goodbye. <Click>".

I got 4.00 cash money coming my way baby!!!

There are few things more satisfying than giving an insurance company a good comeupance. Maybe an old girlfriend who dumped you getting knocked up by Charles Manson, but that's about it.

3/07/2011 4:43 pm  #4

My Insurance (and don't get me wrong, it wasn't brutal) was about 800.00 a year for a 2009 hyundai santa fe. The Mustang GT costs my wife 83.00 a month to insure.

Together? 108.00 a month. We were getting rooked, but we were getting the married rate. USAA has pretty stellar insurance.

3/08/2011 4:41 pm  #5

we're probably getting screwed by SF.  we pay about $650 year for a 98 Odyssey and about $450/year for a 97 Metro.  Married, no accidents, marks, claims, ever.  area affects insurnce, for use, but we live in a rural country, largest town: 28,000.

3/08/2011 5:30 pm  #6

"area affects insurnce"

Massachusetts does ratings by community from 1 to 10, with 1 the safest and 10 the most dangerous. We moved in 2003 about two miles and went from a 7 to a 4, and saved about $400.

3/09/2011 12:10 am  #7

$700 and some change a year on a 2000 dodge dakota and 2001 chevy van.  Thinking of dropping full coverage on truck because we never drive it.  We have never had a claim aways paying out of pocket.  Married and have multi policy discount.  I dont think that price is to bad.

Board footera