You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2020 5:15 pm  #151

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Carp ended the year as a part time player. Im not sure I'd consider him for any role at this point.

You may not consider him for any role, but they’ve already said he’s the everyday third baseman. They’re not going to have him sitting on the bench making $20M. Edman gets to be the super-utility guy.

So … the every day lineup will look something like this?
1. Carpenter 3B
2. Wong 2B
3. Goldschmidt 1B
4. DeJong SS
5. O'Neill LF
6. Molina C
7. Fowler RF
8. Bader CF
9. Pitcher

That's a strikeout pitcher's wet dream.

I think Carpenter's days as the lead off hitter are done.  Whether Carpenter accepted it or not, Schildt didn't seem to have a problem putting him lower in the lineup.

They've said Edman will start 5-6 games a week (assuming his play justifies it), but in a variety of positions.  I expect he'll play 2B, SS, 3B and all 3 outfield spots.  They made a point to note that DeJong needs more days off.  Carpenter, and to a lesser extent Wong, will get the occasional day off against a LHP. With Fowler's age and Bader and O'Neill being generally shitty, they'll get time off as well, but when they're in a hot streak they'll play.  I also assume Lane Thomas will get a shot at one of those outfield positions.

Give them the benefit of all doubt, assume that Dylan Carlson tears it up in Spring Training, goes to Memphis for a month, looks great and is with the team by May, the best lineup they could roll out there looks something like:

Edman
Wong
Goldschmidt
DeJong
Carpenter
Molina
Carlson
Bader/O'Neill/Thomas/Fowler
Pitcher

That's awful

1/24/2020 11:24 pm  #152

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

You may not consider him for any role, but they’ve already said he’s the everyday third baseman. They’re not going to have him sitting on the bench making $20M. Edman gets to be the super-utility guy.

So … the every day lineup will look something like this?
1. Carpenter 3B
2. Wong 2B
3. Goldschmidt 1B
4. DeJong SS
5. O'Neill LF
6. Molina C
7. Fowler RF
8. Bader CF
9. Pitcher

That's a strikeout pitcher's wet dream.

I think Carpenter's days as the lead off hitter are done.  Whether Carpenter accepted it or not, Schildt didn't seem to have a problem putting him lower in the lineup.

They've said Edman will start 5-6 games a week (assuming his play justifies it), but in a variety of positions.  I expect he'll play 2B, SS, 3B and all 3 outfield spots.  They made a point to note that DeJong needs more days off.  Carpenter, and to a lesser extent Wong, will get the occasional day off against a LHP. With Fowler's age and Bader and O'Neill being generally shitty, they'll get time off as well, but when they're in a hot streak they'll play.  I also assume Lane Thomas will get a shot at one of those outfield positions.

Give them the benefit of all doubt, assume that Dylan Carlson tears it up in Spring Training, goes to Memphis for a month, looks great and is with the team by May, the best lineup they could roll out there looks something like:

Edman
Wong
Goldschmidt
DeJong
Carpenter
Molina
Carlson
Bader/O'Neill/Thomas/Fowler
Pitcher

That's awful

Anyone who can throw a slider and last 5 innings with have 6 strikeouts vs that lineup

1/27/2020 10:35 am  #153

Castellanos to the Reds. Four years. No financial terms announced yet.

1/27/2020 12:52 pm  #154

artie_fufkin wrote:

$64M

The Reds could be a very dangerous team this year.

1/27/2020 2:07 pm  #155

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

$64M

They seem to have a strategy that doesn't solely rely on players already on the team playing better.

1/27/2020 2:53 pm  #156

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

$64M

They seem to have a strategy that doesn't solely rely on players already on the team playing better.

Novel concept

1/27/2020 6:44 pm  #157

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

$64M

Novel concept

Their GM is a genius

1/27/2020 9:33 pm  #158

Pirates traded Marte to Arizona for two players I assume are prospects.

1/30/2020 5:51 pm  #159

Scooter gennett is probably a pretty good budget sign if he fits.  I'm not sure if he can play left field.

2/03/2020 9:29 pm  #160

The Reds signed Pedro Strop to a 1-year, $1.85 million contract with incentives.
At least he's staying in the division.

2/06/2020 5:29 pm  #161

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/how-red-sox-clubhouse-will-be-better-place-without-david-price-it

Everyone affiliated with the Cardinals organization should be thankful the Red Sox stepped up and out-bid them for Price. 

2/07/2020 6:52 pm  #162

artie_fufkin wrote:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-sox/how-red-sox-clubhouse-will-be-better-place-without-david-price-it

Everyone affiliated with the Cardinals organization should be thankful the Red Sox stepped up and out-bid them for Price. 

'struth!

2/09/2020 12:26 pm  #163

artie_fufkin wrote:

Meh.

2/11/2020 9:05 am  #164

forsberg_us wrote:

artie_fufkin wrote:

Meh.

It's not like Eckersley is a beloved figure around here like Uecker is or Ron Santo was in their respective broadcast cities. He only gets the TV gig when Jerry Remy - who was a beloved figure here until his son turned out to be a murderer - has health problems. 
And you can make an argument maybe someone on the team should have stuck up for Rodriguez, but you don't make a show of it in a situation where Eckersley can't fight back. Price wasn't acting like a leader or even a decent teammate. He was acting like a schoolyard bully.  

2/11/2020 6:08 pm  #165

My reaction is based more on the fact that I'm not certain Price would have been able to act like that here. Molina and Wainwright are the veteran leaders on this team and I doubt Price could have pulled a stunt like that with those two around.

2/12/2020 11:03 am  #166

forsberg_us wrote:

My reaction is based more on the fact that I'm not certain Price would have been able to act like that here. Molina and Wainwright are the veteran leaders on this team and I doubt Price could have pulled a stunt like that with those two around.

But remember, Price is left-handed, and left-handed people can be stubborn.

2/12/2020 5:34 pm  #167

Manfred’s 14 teams in the playoffs ?
The new NBA league .
You get a trophy
And you get a trophy
And ..............

2/12/2020 5:53 pm  #168

don.rob11 wrote:

Manfred’s 14 teams in the playoffs ?
The new NBA league .
You get a trophy
And you get a trophy
And ..............

The 14 team concept if bad enough, but the idea that teams have to choose their playoff opponent is the dumbest thing ever conceived.

2/12/2020 8:47 pm  #169

Let's play 162 games to have half the teams make the playoffs.  But play hard all 162 cause they matter.

2/13/2020 8:49 am  #170

APIAD wrote:

Let's play 162 games to have half the teams make the playoffs. But play hard all 162 cause they matter.

When is the season going to end? Thanksgiving? It's already ridiculous to have the most important games of the season in 30-degree weather in late October. What's it going to be like in November?

2/13/2020 10:27 am  #171

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Let's play 162 games to have half the teams make the playoffs. But play hard all 162 cause they matter.

When is the season going to end? Thanksgiving? It's already ridiculous to have the most important games of the season in 30-degree weather in late October. What's it going to be like in November?

Supposedly it wouldn't any additional time.  If you haven't actually read the proposed changes you should.  They're trying to create something that's a combination of NCAA Selection Sunday and MTV's The Challenge.

The #1 seed in each league gets a bye in the "wild card round".  That's the simple part

The division winner with the 2nd best record then chooses its 1st round opponent from the #5, 6 or 7 seed.  The remaining division winner chooses its opponent from the 2 remaining teams and the Wild Card team with the best record gets the remaining team.  MLB proposes this would be a televised event, presumably with managers or general managers walking up to a podium to announce the team they've decided to play.  

Each wild card series would be a best of 3, all 3 of which would be played at the home field of the higher seed.

MLB claims it wouldn't extend the season because the new system would eliminate any "163rd games" to break a tie and the 3 games would be played on consecutive days.  Right now, the Wild Card games are played either Tuesday or Wednesday and the LDS series begins on Friday or Saturday.  Under the new system, the "wild card series" would be completed by Thursday, so it wouldn't take any additional time.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28673912/sources-mlb-weighing-major-changes-postseason-including-growing-number-teams-14

The issue, of course, is that there are rarely 7 teams that have any business being near October baseball.  As one story I read pointed out, in 2018, the American League only had 5 teams with a winning record.  Under this new system, 2 teams with records below .500 would have made the playoffs.  Wouldn't that be exciting to watch?

2/13/2020 8:53 pm  #172

That's what I dont like.  I can ignore selection crap.  I doubt this makes teams build better teams.  Probably just promotes more mediocrity.

2/13/2020 9:59 pm  #173

APIAD wrote:

That's what I dont like.  I can ignore selection crap.  I doubt this makes teams build better teams.  Probably just promotes more mediocrity.

No doubt. Could you imagine the crap Dewitt would put on the field if an 81-81 record was good enough to make the post-season?

3/03/2020 5:25 pm  #174

Brewers nearing a 7 year, $200+M extension with Yelich. Meanwhile, the Cardinals can’t afford a 1 year deal with Ozuna.

Makes sense.

Board footera