You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2022 6:48 pm  #26

Re: 2022 cards

APIAD wrote:

Worst opening day starting rotation since 2007. Correct?

Sidney Ponson is back?
I haven't really been paying too much attention to Spring Training. 
I worry that we're never going to see a healthy Flaherty again.
And I'm about to give up on Reyes.

4/05/2022 8:40 pm  #27

artie_fufkin wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Worst opening day starting rotation since 2007. Correct?

Sidney Ponson is back?
I haven't really been paying too much attention to Spring Training. 
I worry that we're never going to see a healthy Flaherty again.
And I'm about to give up on Reyes.

2007 was kind Wells and looper

I think the rotation is

Waino
Hudson
Matz
Mikolas
Random dude off street

4/05/2022 8:46 pm  #28

"The St. Louis rotation was ranked 23rd among the 30. By the way: the Reds ranked ahead of the Cardinals with a preseason rotation ranking of No. 18. This may seem harsh, but the STL rotation has more questions than certainties."

4/05/2022 9:06 pm  #29

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

AP, remind me again what part of Illinois you’re in.

We’ve been making the tour of many of Illinois’ finer stops because my daughter is playing softball for a JUCO over there. Most of her conference is south of Springfield. For some reason I’m remembering you being further north.

Nope I'm further south, thankfully. Near Olney il.

Really??  Weather permitting, we play at Olney on Friday

If I didn't have ahit going on I'd come down and say hi

4/06/2022 5:19 pm  #30

Jordan hicks is the 5th starter I guess.  Likely a bullpen game.  Talk about poor roster set up.

4/06/2022 5:25 pm  #31

APIAD wrote:

Jordan hicks is the 5th starter I guess.  Likely a bullpen game.  Talk about poor roster set up.

I won’t write it off yet. With the expanded rosters in April, they can probably make an occasional bullpen game work. Tampa and Milwaukee have done it pretty successfully the past few years.

4/06/2022 7:03 pm  #32

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

I won’t write it off yet. With the expanded rosters in April, they can probably make an occasional bullpen game work. Tampa and Milwaukee have done it pretty successfully the past few years.

What is hicks going to give you?  2 innings?  I think the Brad Thompson bullpen games.  A semi starter.

4/06/2022 10:08 pm  #33

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

What is hicks going to give you?  2 innings?  I think the Brad Thompson bullpen games.  A semi starter.

Initially, yeah that’s probably about it until he gets a little stretched out.

Tampa does it all the time. Starter goes 2-3 innings. The question is whether the bullpen is good enough to make it work. I’m not saying it’s ideal, but it’s almost certainly a better option than Juan Oviedo.

4/06/2022 10:49 pm  #34

I think it works.  In the short term.  However you are adding alot of innings onto your pen.  You better have some breathing room in the minors if you are going to give the bullpen 30 starts a year.

4/07/2022 10:48 am  #35

APIAD wrote:

I think it works. In the short term. However you are adding alot of innings onto your pen. You better have some breathing room in the minors if you are going to give the bullpen 30 starts a year.

That's always been my concern with bullpen games. On the other hand, given how teams tend to stick with the same 3 or 4 relievers in most cases, the BP games could provide opportunities to get the guys who spend every game napping in the 'pen some action.

4/07/2022 11:52 am  #36

APIAD wrote:

I think it works. In the short term. However you are adding alot of innings onto your pen. You better have some breathing room in the minors if you are going to give the bullpen 30 starts a year.

I don't think the plan is to do it for the entire year.  But during April, rosters are increased to 28 players, and the Cardinals are carrying 15 pitchers.  

4/07/2022 11:58 am  #37

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

I don't think the plan is to do it for the entire year.  But during April, rosters are increased to 28 players, and the Cardinals are carrying 15 pitchers.  

I knew rosters expanded but I thought it was 26 not 28.  Hell I can't keep up.

I admitted it isn't the worst thing in the world and might be the best option right now. Maybe they will even work hicks into a larger inning role.  Idk.  I question their rotation.  It looks weak to me.  If you are going to be weak at the top I think you should at least be strong at the back end.  They are neither.

4/07/2022 4:53 pm  #38

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

I knew rosters expanded but I thought it was 26 not 28. Hell I can't keep up.

I admitted it isn't the worst thing in the world and might be the best option right now. Maybe they will even work hicks into a larger inning role. Idk. I question their rotation. It looks weak to me. If you are going to be weak at the top I think you should at least be strong at the back end. They are neither.

They should have went after another starter.  San Diego got Sean Manaea for virtually nothing, and they're likely still willing to move Frankie Montas.  The Cardinals are also about $25-30M below last year's salary, so they could have gone after a free agent also.

Going into the season, the rotation was 40-year old Wainwright, Flaherty (returning from injury), Hudson (returning from injury), Mikolas (returning from injury) and Matz (who almost always has an injury each year).  They wanted the fans to believe that with Reyes, Liberatore, Oviedo and Woodford they had depth.  Anyone with a brain knew that wasn't the case.

You and I are on the same page that they should have done more to address it before spring training ever began.  They've already lost Flaherty (and I'll bet anyone right now he doesn't make 10 starts this season).  They were fooling themselves that Reyes could become a starter, and it seems very foolish to assume Mikolas, Hudson and Matz will make 30 starts each.  You see a number of teams now going to 6-man rotations.  The Cardinals would have been smart to have done the same thing, that way they could have gone back to 5 when someone (inevitably) got hurt.  But starters cost less than the Drew VerHagens of the world, so we get a bunch of retread relievers.

The 28 man roster is only for April because of the shortened spring training.  It drops to 26 in May.

Last edited by forsberg_us (4/07/2022 5:00 pm)

4/07/2022 4:54 pm  #39

APIAD wrote:

forsberg_us wrote:

APIAD wrote:

Nope I'm further south, thankfully. Near Olney il.

Really??  Weather permitting, we play at Olney on Friday

If I didn't have ahit going on I'd come down and say hi

Games at Olney were postponed.

4/07/2022 7:03 pm  #40

Not a bad game but the pirates suck

4/07/2022 8:13 pm  #41

APIAD wrote:

Not a bad game but the pirates suck

You’re probably being too kind. I’m not sure what comes below “suck,” but they’re somewhere down there.

I am curious to watch the kid who pitches for them on Saturday. He was really bad last year, but he was a pretty highly regarded prospect with a good arm who had a good spring.

4/08/2022 7:48 am  #42

In a shortened spring training it was nice of mlb to schedule a warm up series for the Cardinals. 

Pujols hit the ball sharp a few times.  He didn't look matt carpenter lost.  Still he didn't manage a hit vs the pirates who he used to own. 

It was good to see O'Neil drive in runs and waino look steady. This team can be good if they have confidence.  We saw that last year.  It's a long season but I think a good start is key.

Board footera