You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2022 2:15 pm  #1

4/10 GC

Albert better be able to pitch an inning or two.

And let me guess...Matz to the DL (or whatever it's called now) after this game.

4/10/2022 6:54 pm  #2

Re: 4/10 GC

Today the cards lost if a triple A team and the weakness in their rotation showed.

4/13/2022 9:41 am  #3

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Cardinals play an actual major league team instead of a couple of glorified Triple A teams. 
My primary concern is what happens at shortstop. I read an article yesterday that predicted Sosa would be in Memphis by May 1. I'm not sure why, because he's by far the best option they have on the roster at shortstop and they really don't have an adequate backup, unless you count the guy who inexplicably has been starting for the past four games and has two hits in 16 plate appearances; three if you count the routine fly ball that almost bounced off the centerfielder's head last night and was ruled a double by the official scorekeeper, who I have to assume is DeJong's aunt. 

4/13/2022 1:18 pm  #4

Dejong and the pitching staff is a result of the mentality that they can be a 500 club by being an average team in a shitty division

4/13/2022 1:19 pm  #5

artie_fufkin wrote:

It will be interesting to see what happens when the Cardinals play an actual major league team instead of a couple of glorified Triple A teams. 
My primary concern is what happens at shortstop. I read an article yesterday that predicted Sosa would be in Memphis by May 1. I'm not sure why, because he's by far the best option they have on the roster at shortstop and they really don't have an adequate backup, unless you count the guy who inexplicably has been starting for the past four games and has two hits in 16 plate appearances; three if you count the routine fly ball that almost bounced off the centerfielder's head last night and was ruled a double by the official scorekeeper, who I have to assume is DeJong's aunt. 

I’m sure someone in the front office would be willing to tell you how you shouldn’t trust your eyes, and how their internal metrics will support the idea that DeJong has just been unlucky. Never mind the fact he’s a .230 hitter over his last 1,500 at bats. At some point he will revert to the guy who hit .280 in 2017, and how dare you suggest otherwise. And it definitely has nothing to do with DeJong’s salary or the fact that Moz foolishly decided to give him a long-term contract.

4/13/2022 5:26 pm  #6

For the decent upside to the lineup I don't mind dejong.  If him and out of shape molina are your worst hitters I will take it.  If dejong sucks again Sosa will infiltrate his way in.  Also I don't see Trevor story as the answer to ss. 

Imo, the reason this team will miss the playoffs is starting pitching.  The money shouldn't have been spent on ss but instead on pitching imo.

4/13/2022 6:06 pm  #7

APIAD wrote:

For the decent upside to the lineup I don't mind dejong.  If him and out of shape molina are your worst hitters I will take it.  If dejong sucks again Sosa will infiltrate his way in.  Also I don't see Trevor story as the answer to ss. 

Imo, the reason this team will miss the playoffs is starting pitching.  The money shouldn't have been spent on ss but instead on pitching imo.

Sosa is a better offensive SS and a much better defensive SS. He also brings speed. If you take out his rookie season, DeJong is a career .229 hitter. The only reason he’s playing over Sosa is his contract and the fact Moz unnecessarily signed him to a stupid extension.

I’m not saying they should have signed Story. I’m saying simply play the best player on your roster, not the one you’re paying the most. Completely agree they should have went after more pitching.

4/13/2022 6:27 pm  #8

I think the playing time thing will play itself out personal.  That's not to say Sosa should be in there now.

4/13/2022 6:36 pm  #9

Also I think dejong recreating one of his first 3 season makes him a reasonable option as ss.  He will certainly have more offensive and defensive value than molina.  Here is also an arguement to be made about molina and Knizner as dejong and sosa.  Maybe not now but certainly a possibility as the season progresses.  Molina needs to hit the a few spin class's.

4/14/2022 11:59 am  #10

DeJong is adequate defensively. Maybe even above average if I'm being generous. I'm probably forgetting someone, but Sosa is the best defensive shortstop the Cardinals have had since Brendan Ryan. That in itself would incline me to make me use Sosa as the every day shortstop, but throw in Sosa's higher batting average and it's an easy decision.

Board footera