You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2011 8:35 am  #1

Montreal is #1!

Andrew Ference is my new favorite hockey player.

http://mit.zenfs.com/206/2011/04/gHooP3.jpg

4/22/2011 8:52 pm  #2

Re: Montreal is #1!

Rules question: When the goalie plays the puck, do both his skates have to be inside the trapezoid, or is it where the puck is?

4/27/2011 8:36 pm  #3

Pretty sure it's the puck location.

I don't know how much of the last couple of nights you've watched, but there's been some really good hockey.

4/27/2011 10:46 pm  #4

forsberg_us wrote:

Pretty sure it's the puck location.

I don't know how much of the last couple of nights you've watched, but there's been some really good hockey.

I vow to get better every year, but I'm still a really bad hockey fan. I don't usually watch until the playoffs, and my interest usually wanes after the Bruins are eliminated. I saw the end of the Canucks/Blackhawks game after the Cards game ended, and I've been flicking back and forth between Bruins/Habs and baseball the last two nights. There's nothing more exciting in sports than OT in a Game 7.

4/28/2011 11:25 am  #5

I couldn't bring myself to watch Canucks/Blackhawks.  We have a fantasy hockey league that runs through the playoffs.  My team steamrolled through the regular season, but because of the way the draft is conducted, you tend to be tied to one or two teams.  My success is largely tied to Vancouver.  After watching them piss away that 3-0, I had resigned myself that they had choked away the series and didn't want to watch it unfold.

As it stands now, if Vancouver gets past Nashville, I should win easily.  The only person within striking range is Chad and he's tied to Philly, so if Boston beats Philly, that probably clinches it as well.

Here's hoping Andrew Ference gets a chance to flip Philly fans the bird.

4/28/2011 12:02 pm  #6

"Here's hoping Andrew Ference gets a chance to flip Philly fans the bird."

I sure hope so. I'm among a subset of people in New England who dislike the Flyers more than they dislike the Canadiens. There's a gap between old-timers who go back before Bobby Orr arrived and the younger crowd who only know Orr as a retired number, and during that time frame the Flyers were the most loathesome team in professional sports.
HBO did a documentary last year that tried to portray the Flyers of the '70s as a bunch of loveable miscreants, but they were nothing more than common street thugs who happened to occasionally keep their balance on skates in between punches. I usually exemplify my hatred for the Flyers by telling people when the Soviet team went on that tour of NHL teams and they played the Flyers, I rooted for the Soviets.
The rivarly has died down now, but there were a lot of people like me last year who were annoyed not just because the Bruins blew a 3-0 lead, they blew a 3-0 lead to the scummy Flyers.

Last edited by artie_fufkin (4/28/2011 12:03 pm)

4/28/2011 1:45 pm  #7

This is the 21st season of our fantasy hockey league.  There are 9 teams, 3 of which include members of the inaugural season: myself (5 wins), my friends Tom (4 wins) and Andy (0 wins).  Andy is originally from Philly and a rabid Flyers fan who idolizes those teams from the '70s.  He doesn't find it nearly as humorous as I do when I point out (annually) that his 21 year run without a title is still a decade shorter than the Flyers' current drought.

Last edited by forsberg_us (4/28/2011 1:46 pm)

4/28/2011 2:28 pm  #8

forsberg_us wrote:

Andy is originally from Philly and a rabid Flyers fan who idolizes those teams from the '70s.

Ironic then that most of the Flyers' players from that era suffered from rabies.

4/30/2011 2:17 pm  #9

Doc Emrick is probably the best play-by-play guy in the history of electricity, but it just took him about three seconds to refer to the Broad St. Bullies in his opening. Give it a rest.

4/30/2011 2:40 pm  #10

I assume Chris Pronger is a legend in St. Louis, but don't think I'm going to like him much in this series. He just nearly took off poor Danny Pialle's head.

4/30/2011 3:51 pm  #11

artie_fufkin wrote:

I assume Chris Pronger is a legend in St. Louis, but don't think I'm going to like him much in this series. He just nearly took off poor Danny Pialle's head.

Not so much. Pronger wasn't well received when he came to St. Louis because they traded Brendan Shanahan to get him. Shanahan was beloved. Pronger eventually grew on fans as he became a much better player, but he was never a real fan favorite because he had a propensity for taking bad penalties in the playoffs and he wasn't Al MacInnis.

Pronger's popularity actually grew after he was tradedin what was nothing more than a purge by the former owners who completely stopped spending any money on the team. The player they got in return (Eric Brewer) generally performed poorly in St. Louis and was traded this season before the deadline. Brewer's incompetence actually added to the fondness for Pronger.

4/30/2011 4:06 pm  #12

Too bad you can't decline a penalty in the NHL. The Bruins' power play is so bad it stops their momentum.

4/30/2011 4:16 pm  #13

A scoreless 3rd period would be great. Our lineups are submitted weekly on Friday. Chad started Boucher as his goalie. I'd love to see Bobrovsky start Game 2.

4/30/2011 9:37 pm  #14

forsberg_us wrote:

A scoreless 3rd period would be great. Our lineups are submitted weekly on Friday. Chad started Boucher as his goalie. I'd love to see Bobrovsky start Game 2.

I don't know how Laviolette comes back with Boucher after that outing. At least three and probably four of the five goals he gave up were preventable. The other guy wasn't great, but at least he was able to handle the routine stuff.

Board footera